Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

What is my issue?

This is a discussion on What is my issue? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Apologies if this is in the wrong spot; please move accordingly if it is. I moved into a rural area ...

toweliechaos is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Grimston
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What is my issue?

Apologies if this is in the wrong spot; please move accordingly if it is.

I moved into a rural area at Christmas and was less than pleased about having to pay more than at my previous address for a slower service. I didn't realise at the time just how slow...

This has been an ongoing issue with Sky since just after Christmas and I have complied with all testing requirements. I have had 7 appointments with BT engineers (2 of which they actually turned up to...) neither of whom agreed with the other about what was up. I have been sent a new power supply for the router and then a new router (both Sagem 2045n) and not surprisingly this made no difference. I now have the router in the loft plugged into a filtered master socket.

I will post the details later but the general issue is this:

Downstream speed (in the loft) 6400-6800kbps
      Downstream speed (in the sitting room) 1400-1600kbps (nothing else plugged in)

Ping is always >150ms regardless of time of day
      D/L speed varies but averages out at 0.4-1.4Mbps
      U/L always 0.7-0.9Mbps and is often higher than the D/L speed

My exchange is North Grimston and I am appx. 1.5 miles from it and there are only 250 properties on the exchange.

Sky told me to expect between 0.8-4.8Mbps.
      BT man 1 told me that a downstream of 6400kbps should equate to at least 5Mbps D/L.

Now, I don't really want Sky wriggling out of this on the basis that I sometimes get just above the 0.8 minimum, as I think I should be getting quite a bit more than that.

Surely the ping rates and my U/L being so close to/in excess of my D/L speed indicate an issue?

Anyone got any advice on how to pursue? I haven't as yet had the chance to try out a neighbours connection to check for other speeds.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: What is my issue?

Can you post your stats please? How to get your Sky Router statistics

Can you please also say if you are checking the download speed with wireless or ethernet?

I moved into a rural area at Christmas and was less than pleased about having to pay more than at my previous address for a slower service.
      Unfortunately that probably means you are on Connect, Sky's poorest package by far. No one here would recommend using it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 300:41:01
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 5141023 5705559 0 620 1412 208:25:27
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 300:41:01
      WLAN Up 8340474 7521437 0 1983 1008 300:40:39
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6816 kbps 448 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0 dB 24.5 dB
      Noise Margin 3.7 dB 26.0 dB
      Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)

Normally checked with wireless devices, but occasionally checked with wired and this shows little difference.

I am on CONnect as I apparently have no choice and somehow am expected to pay more for this than my previous fast and stable connection.

Interestingly, I was off ill yesterday and did hourly speed tests and between 08:40 - 16:40 I was regularly getting >6.0 Mbps on D/L. After 16:40, it dropped like a stone to <1.2 Mbps and stayed there.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1. Should there be a close correlation between downstream and download speed (as the BT man said)?
      2. Do Ping speeds always >150Ms indicate a line issue?
      3. I know it was only one day, but if that is the sort of weekday speed, can there really be that much congestion on a 250-property exchange?
      4. If the downstream goes from >6400kbps to <1600kbps by moving the router, is it safe to assume that that socket line is picking up massive interference (probably from mains wiring)?
      %. Finally, Samknows shows my line due for FTTC in September this year - how reliable a date is that likely to be in people's experience?

Thanks!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

1. Your actual download speed will be 85-90% of your sync speed. So 6Mb is about what you should get.
      2. No, it can have other causes such as congestion on the main backbone, problems with the server you are pinging, internal wiring issues etc..
      3. It is well known that the Connect lines are effected by congestion at the exchange and by throttling, especially at peak times. The size of the exchange does not matter, as smaller exchanges will have less equipment than a large exchange. I believe if you exceed your download allowance, about 1.3Gb per day, additional throttles will be put on your line.
      4. If you mean moving the router from the Master socket to an extension socket, then yes, that indicates interference from the internal phone wiring. Best solution is to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate. This may also help your noise margin which is a bit low for Connect. It may also help your ping by removing local interference.

The dates shown in Samknows are an estimate at best. Some have found the work was completed ahead of time, but more often than not, the dates have not been met. I think the very bad weather over the last few months have thrown out all the estimates for completion dates. Instead of installing new stuff the engineers are struggling to keep the old stuff running.

Try doing a couple of speedtests on the official BT tester. Run one before peak time and one after 4.30pm. If you don't get at least 6 Mb, go on and do a further diagnostic test. BTW Performance Test

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      1. Your actual download speed will be 85-90% of your sync speed. So 6Mb is about what you should get.
      Which is what I was getting yesterday during the weekday, but never at any other time.

3. It is well known that the Connect lines are effected by congestion at the exchange and by throttling, especially at peak times. The size of the exchange does not matter, as smaller exchanges will have less equipment than a large exchange. I believe if you exceed your download allowance, about 1.3Gb per day, additional throttles will be put on your line.
      Ha-ha-ha-ha! 1.3Gb per day? It would take me about a week to download that!

4. If you mean moving the router from the Master socket to an extension socket, then yes, that indicates interference from the internal phone wiring. Best solution is to buy, fit and use a filtered faceplate. This may also help your noise margin which is a bit low for Connect. It may also help your ping by removing local interference.
      It is currently in a filtered master socket.

Try doing a couple of speedtests on the official BT tester. Run one before peak time and one after 4.30pm. If you don't get at least 6 Mb, go on and do a further diagnostic test. BTW Performance Test
      I've to phone Sky tonight to do some diagnostics. It will be a waste of time though. I've already used BTW Performance Tests and it won't get anywhere near 6Mb, it will struggle to reach 2. I think we'll establish there is something wrong on the exchange, BT won't accept it's bad enough and if they plan to change in September, we all know they won't lift a finger until they do that work. Ho-hum.

Thanks for qualifying some of my thoughts.