Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch

This is a discussion on Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. After 3 hours on the phone with Sky which has resulted with an engineer call out I'm now ...

chuckstar_za is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Elmswell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch

Hi all.
      After 3 hours on the phone with Sky which has resulted with an engineer call out I'm now at my wits end.

My router stats are as follows:
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 8100 8724 0 461 5676 0:25:41
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:27:15
      WLAN Up 22343 21501 0 6992 1702 0:26:52
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18404 kbps 1150 kbps
      Line Attenuation 9.5 dB 6.4 dB
      Noise Margin 6.1 dB 3.2 dB

For the last 6 months I've run an solid 16MB connection.
      Yesterday morning my speed slowed down to a crawl (but with the stats posted above).
      Downloads ran at 10kbps and some just timed out.
      Pages were slow to load .

Speedtest showed a downstream speed of 0.05MB (that's when it ran, most times it said 'configuration load error'.

I've tried connecting via LAN to the master socket and same results.
      My neighbour is also experiencing similar issues. He is also with Sky.

Customer support went through all the usual switch it on, switch it off, have you got anti-virus, etc etc and said my line speed was 'excellent, there is no problem'.
      I'm convinced that there is an issue with traffic priority as I can play World of Tanks perfectly with the same ping as usual, just the occasional packet loss (this OFC could be their server) while using TeamSpeak. But any downstream HTTP traffic is slower than dial-up. Upstream funnily enough runs just as well as it has prior to the issue (at least sending an e-mail with a 2MB attachment went quickly, were as it's taking an HOUR to download a 2MB file). Now I loved the 90's but having 90's style download speeds isn't on

Nothing has change in my set-up and when I tried to download that 20MB test file from thinkbroadband :: Download Test Files via IE and FF it just runs for a few seconds on about 50k and then drops to 4.5k then to nothing.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch

See next post.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If you are using Windows, start in Safe Mode with Networking and go here to do a speed test. Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester This will rule out any software on your machine causing a slow down.

I notice you are using a Sky address starting 5.70.xxx.xx, this is a new one I think, I wonder if it has anything to do with your problem. If it is, can you switch the router off for about 40minutes, then switch on again. This should give you a new IP address and maybe cure your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the safe mode, no joy.
      Funny you should mention the IP. When Speedtest has decided to work, it's put me near to Canterbury with my location somewhere just off the coast of Suffolk. Must be all that salt water that's messing up my router!
      Usually my location is slap bang in East Anglia. This problem manifested itself over night on Monday into Tuesday, I wonder if my IP wasn't switched then.

I'm off to the shops later, so will leave the router off then and see if that works.
      Thanks for your help.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme
      I notice you are using a Sky address starting 5.70.xxx.xx, this is a new one I think
      Since switching from mer to pppoa a couple of weeks ago, i only ever get given ip's in this range.

I've had many of them too, having rebooted several times & obviously once too many, as dlm is now running.

No problems here.

Thanks

So, router has been off since I went to the shops and now it's back on.
      Still a 5.70.xxx.xx IP and still this weird horrible speed. Well, speed is probably the wrong word for it, crawl might be more apt. 13.5KBs download isn't really speed is it?

Thanks

There are some exchanges suffering from throughput problems, but even if yours is, it should not effect you to this extent. I think all you can do is keep on at Sky and emphasise that although your sync speed is fine, your actual download speed is dire.

You can check if your exchange is on the list by checking here. - Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

TomD

Useful Utilites

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

chuckstar_za (20-03-13)

Thanks

My exchange is listed. Though the problems (albeit very slight problems, mostly it effected my ping) we had with congestion were resolved in mid Feb.

The number of times today I had to explain over and over that while my synch speed is fine, my real world line speed isn't even technically broadband.... I appreciate that the support guys are working via script mostly, but is it that hard to understand that what my synch says and what my actual throughput are are two wildly different speeds.

Something is definitely up as webpages load O.K(ish), VOIP works fine and I can play online games, but downloads of any description are glacial. Streaming is a total non-starter.
      Guess I'll have to wait for the engineer on Friday and explain everything again from scratch. At least I'll be able to show him in person that my synch and throughput are totally different animals.

Thanks

Unless they send a broadband trained engineer with instructions to fix it you will get no where. A BTO engineer will test the line say its OK and leave. Getting a broadband engineer out is difficult as they cost about 3 times as much as an ordinary one.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

"Getting a broadband engineer out is difficult"

Well, that's disappointing to hear as quite clearly there is something a bit more wrong than just a bit of cable gone wrong.
      Is there anything I can do this side to prove conclusively that the synch speed they are seeing and what my throughput is aren't the same?

How does one actually speak with someone at Sky who isn't running off a three ring binder?

Funnily enough, my neighbour who is also experiencing the same problems just popped round to ask if mine was still playing up. There's obviously something wrong at the exchange as the speed issues effect us both, it's not effecting VOIP or TCP traffic, so it's not a physical line problem (at least not inside my house), or user equipment issue.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 26-03-13, 12:26 PM