Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch

This is a discussion on Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Another set of results from a longer period, will call sky again tommrow, try another rant and hope for the ...

Smoosher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Elmswell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Re: Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch

Another set of results from a longer period, will call sky again tommrow, try another rant and hope for the best. Love the 8:17 and 8:27 results
      Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch-untitled3.jpg

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Again a nice graph and a picture is gradually building up.

I know how tempting it is to have a go at whoever answers the telephone, but please remember that although they are representing Sky, they are only human. As such if you treat them nicely they will respond in kind.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

chuckstar_za is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch-untitled.jpg

Bit of a random selection for this evening. Sorry it was run on my laptop which kept going to sleep (lazy bugger!)
      But I think the results echo Smoosher's. Something very odd is going on.

I've got an engineer coming out tomorrow so at least I can talk face to face with someone and show them the problem in person. Whether that will help or not remains to be seen.
      I can't imagine that we're the only two people in Elmswell who've noticed this and called support. Actually, yes, I can imagine that...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I doubt that the BTO Engineer will take much notice of the graph. He will likely blame it on Sky.

Should he do so, politely ask it such as response is regarded and normal on BT's Internet which slows everyone down between 4pm and midnight and all day at the weekend.

seriously though, the graph is more useful for Sky as it could be their backhaul, which the Engineer will not work on.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

I still havent had an engineer arranged to visit!, i still hadnt heard back from the "Solutions Team" (must be the new 2nd line). However i did manage to get myself put through to them today before work and told the guy i spoke to, if your call logging software can search by village do it and see how many people are having this issue.

When he came back hes now on about it being a possible throughput issue (Backhaul?) and that someone who is in at 9 will check the exchange for errors and he will call me back then, if so it needs to goto the "Network Team"

So finally making some progress at least!

Thanks

Thanks for calling them Smoosher.
      I've been running the speed test all morning with the same result. Up and down like a *****s draws.
      When you spoke with Sky, what did you say? I'll phone them independently, but really don't want to jump through all the 'switch it on, switch it off' bull.
      When I tried to explain to the support when I spoke with them that there must be a problem at the exchange, I was told flat out that there is no problem at the exchange (computer says no). Even when I said that two of us (my neighbour and I at the time, now of course, three) are having the same problem.

The fact remains that despite what the speedtest say, the actual throughput is nothing like 5MB or even 1MB when downloading.

***Update***

Just got off the phone with Sky.
      Again, no problems listed with the exchange. Apparently only once a BTO guys comes out and says 'hey, not our problem', will Sky get a tier two tech to call me, and then only after that send an engineer to the exchange. At least, that's my understanding of it*.
      I wonder if Smoosher has any better luck as by the looks of it, this problem is going to be around for a while (and while it is my Netflix, Lovefilm, XBL, etc accounts for which I'm paying are all unusable - I know that's a woe is me first world problem, but still..)

* as an aside, by why do businesses always base their customer support places in areas where people have strong accents? I used to work with a guy from Belfast with the broadest accent you've ever heard, but I can barely understand the guys on the line from Sky.
      Last edited by chuckstar_za; 22-03-13 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks

Well im still awaiting a call back, so as far as im aware they havent checked the exchange yet.

I have a friend comming over tonight to watch the football who is bringing a spare Sky Router with him, this will eliminate another "Its your Kit" and will at least give me another thing i've eleminated from testing.

Hmm i guess the Average "Elmsweller" isnt an avid game user and probably just use it for Ebay! so quite possible that many haven't called to mention its on a go slow.

Or there isnt many using sky broadband!

Either that or coincidentally our Sky Kit died at the same time.

When i call i tend to say existing problem, and chasing an update (this forces them to at least look at the call notes otherwise they try and relog the call).

But unlike yourself you have had some contact back from Sky. Where as i still since logging the original call on the 19th have heard nothing back from Sky (Terrible Customer Support). I have had to chase.

So you have an engineer out today? Maybe that will also get the ball rolling, if they dont get back to me, might be a call support and try speak to a manager, as by now i should have had a call from the results of the exchange tests

Unfortunately with support desks its who shouts loudest gets sorted fastest (Know that from experience)
      Last edited by Smoosher; 22-03-13 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Edits

Thanks

"or coincidentally our Sky Kit died at the same time"

As my neighbour is also having issues, we must be blessed with the most awesome of coincidences. I'm off to buy a Euromillions ticket then

I'm marked as having an existing ticket open and on my previous call got an engineer booked in. Probably because support ran out of options to go through. He's not been yet, only booked between 1pm and 6pm, which kind of sucks as I've got to go to Haughley to pick up some frames later on. Bet you he calls when I'm out.

I was told to expect a call from tier two support tomorrow to update the situation. Realstically, at this point, I'll be surprised if this is fixed by this time next week.
      I wonder how many people are on Sky round here? There was never any canvassing like when TalkTalk got into the exchange and we didn't even know despite being existing Sky customers.
      Maybe we can get a bit run in the newsletter? All three of us holding our routers looking all sad panda with the tag line 'local fury at borked exchange - 'OMFG Netflix like mud, like WTF? says irate village resident'

I used to have a temper issue when I was younger (though I still ragequit from time to time), so these days I try not to get assertive on call centers. All it does is make me worked up.

Thanks

well i was thinking of putting afew bets on the footie tonight as well!

When the kit arrives tonight from my mates ill update and see if thats made a blindsight (proberly not).

If this does go on till next week, ill have to pick one of the two local pubs and move in!, hopefully i can get some push so it doesnt last till this time next week (Its killing my raid guild as it is!)

I just hopped onto sky when i moved into the villiage around 6 months ago, shopped around they were the cheapest (6 months free internet as well) so im "Technically" not paying for my internet at the moment.

Would hate to be having these conversations if was younger, Working in support myself i have half a clue (So i kinda tell them theres an issue heres everything ive done) every time i ring. I remeber back when i was younger id just end up shouting and screaming lol!

Sky have just called me to say that the lady came in and did a check on the Exchange and found no issues.

However, this has now been passed onto the network team to investigate further (No issue but passed on smells fishy to me!) and he will be calling me before 4pm with an update of whats going on. Thank you Douglas! first person from sky that has actually called me back since the 19th!
      Last edited by Smoosher; 22-03-13 at 12:39 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Thanks

I just had a chat with my framer who also lives in Elmswell.
      Alas, he's not on Sky, so can't see if he's effected too, but he is on TalkTalk running out of the same exchange and is suffering no degradation of service at all.

All of this implies to me (and I'm not remotely qualified to make any assumptions) that there's a technical issue with some of Sky's equipment at the exchange which isn't registering as a problem (synch speeds etc are all hunky dory..). For the casual user, the net just seems a bit slow (hence probably why there hasn't been a rash of service calls as one would expect if the service just flatout didn't work), but when you try to do anything that requires a modern BB speed, the throughput just isn't there. Anything I try to download comes down at around 20K a second, which isn't even a 1MB speed.

In the meantime we keep going round and round with Sky telling them there is a problem, and them saying no there isn't (and here was me thinking panto season was over).
      I appreciate they can't send out a techhie to an exchange at the drop of a hat, but surely something/someone must have flagged by now that there are at least two people (that we know of) who have called Sky with the same symptoms from the same exchange?

Hopefully it's just require a simple swapout of equipment or a hard reset of whatever component has gone bork.

I've been running a speedtest since this morning and we can see it's all up and down and not really indicative of a congestion issue.
      Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch-test2.jpg

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 26-03-13, 12:26 PM