Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch

This is a discussion on Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Is it only HTTP traffic that is affected? Have you tried FTP? I have just tried downloading a 100MB test ...

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Very slow dial-up style speeds on 18MB synch

Is it only HTTP traffic that is affected? Have you tried FTP? I have just tried downloading a 100MB test file from ftp.sonic.net (yes I know it's in the USA) and was pleasantly surprised to get:
      104857600 bytes received in 31.03 secs (3300.4 kB/s)
      using the command line tool which I believe equates to around 26.4Mb/s.

2. Advertisement
      chuckstar_za is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Elmswell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I've just tried a test FTP and same result.

Crappy speeds circa 4.5KBps

Smoosher is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

And theres me thinking im losing the plot, i dont mean to semi-hijack. I was googling for this exact issue and what your getting right now is exactly what i get.

On Tuesady night my Net dropped out around 1am didnt think much of it till the next day. Then woke up in the morning to find my web slower than heck.

Speed test giving results back around 0.10 - 0.30mbs.

Like yours my modem sync is showing 18mbs (normally getting around 16meg down on my downloads).

My teamspeak is also normally fine, it kills my World of Warcraft however, had to cancel a raid tonight due to the 4k ping spikes.

Seems to be any sort of download, as upload fines stay as was

Im Currently stuck on the "Esculated to 2nd line" havent heard anything back yet and still waiting

im in the IP30 area, you mention its local to you slim chance but is this near yourself?

Never mind i just see your in elmswell as well we are on the same exchange!

Thanks

With the info in this thread i have re-rang sky and got a more helpful person in support and explained to him this looks like an exchange issue rather than home modem issue, he said there might be a problem with the card im on (Guessing within the exchange).

Got me to do a download speed test from thinkbroadband got a wopping 32.1kbs. and hes now going to escalate this (Hopefully as an exchange issue rather than a home issue).

Heres with crossed fingers!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Smoosher For This Useful Post:

chuckstar_za (21-03-13)

chuckstar_za is offline Sky User Member
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

O.K it's for sure an exchange issue (Yes, I'm in Elmswell, so all three of us having the same problem are all running off the exchange in Church Lane).
      At least we (you) seem to be getting somewhere. At every turn yesterday with support despite me saying there was an issue with two of us (now three), they kept insisting the problem was with my equipment/line. Even after 'escalating' and spending 10mins on hold while support had an internal conflab about the issue, the first thing out of the mouth of the new improved support was 'have you tried turning it off and on again?'

Facepalm.

Thanks

Yup, I just double checked to make sure there wasn't another exchange in Elmswell and there is only the one.

Ive been on the phone to sky constantly the last few days, I don't give up easy.

I also had the same polava with the "Reset the Modem" "Clear internet Cache", even after telling them ive got 4-5 machines on my network that i've tested it on with differnt OS's.

I have yet to speak to the "Escalated Support" ill proberly re-ring tonight as well (Was supposed to get a text in the first 24? hours still heard nothing).

Hopefully the guy today could see it was more than just the standard customer rant and that the exchange needs a proper look.

It is only Sky lines on that exchange however, i also work in Elmswell and the office internet (Which is always terrible) is on a differnt ISP (Demon) and is at least working alot better than it does at home (which is only a stones throw away!).

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Your Sky connection uses Sky's own kit in the Telephone Exchange. From there is uses Sky's backhaul system to the Sky servers. Easynet uses Sky's LLU kit for commercial customers.

The only other LLU provider in your Telephone Exchange is TalkTalk. I believe that they too have their own backhaul. TalkTalk do let some ISP rent space on their LLU kit.

According to SamKnows there is also no Cable in your area.

SamKnows - Broadband Availability - Elmswell (EAEMS) Exchange

Every other ISP uses the BTO/BTW kit and backhaul.

It is entirely possible that the 2,772 domestic users favour Sky in your area as BT were very expensive compared to Sky until recently. This would place a fast growing load on the backhaul which might explain why you are experiencing a problem.

It should be possible for Sky to increase the backhaul. This might involve them renting more space from the BTO cabling or getting someone to install more cabling.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      It is entirely possible that the 2,772 domestic users favour Sky in your area as BT were very expensive compared to Sky until recently. This would place a fast growing load on the backhaul which might explain why you are experiencing a problem.

It should be possible for Sky to increase the backhaul. This might involve them renting more space from the BTO cabling or getting someone to install more cabling.
      I would expect a slow and general decline in the quality of the service rather than a fine one day gone tomorrow drop if that was the case no? (I have no knowledge of how this type of thing works)

it was a fine one second then a connection drop after that it was terrible (Any sort of decline in speed from what i was getting would be noticeable use my internet on a daylie basis for Live streaming and the like).

Ive been on the Sam Knows site afew times (keep looking that elusive day to when they might consider putting FTTC, i know ill keep dreaming).

Im hopeing it isnt what you say as above (As to me something that costs a company money doesn't sound like a quick fix)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Surely if it is a backhaul issue tier 2 would be aware of the congestion.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Assuming that this is a backhaul issue, then I would suggest that you run so software to analyse the performance of your Internet connection. This has been discussed previously on the forum recently where similar issues have been noted. If you can encourage your neighbour to do the same, it would be useful too.

Sky have a good track record with regards to improving the backhaul. They will need the information to help confirm things sometimes.

As for whether or not tier 2 would say anything, sometime they may suspect what is going on, but until it is properly confirmed within Sky they won't say so.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 26-03-13, 12:26 PM