Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Reduced Service since March

This is a discussion on Reduced Service since March within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've noticed since March that my down/up load speeds seem to have been reduced/suppressed by about 20%. Also I lose ...

skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Reduced Service since March

I've noticed since March that my down/up load speeds seem to have been reduced/suppressed by about 20%.

Also I lose connection more often and have to keep physically re-booting the Sagem router, where once there was never a problem.

My exchange is 01255 (Frinton on Sea - Essex) 1.2 miles away and is LLU.

Is Sky playing a general war of attrition, to force upgrade (I'm on the 'free' low user tariff)?

Has anyone else found this happening?

I think if they compel me to upgrade, I'll merely cut out the 'Movies' option pack, which I barely use.

Does anyone therefore know how much the cheapest monthly Sky Broadband package is please?

Thank you

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Reduced Service since March

Isn't this March

It is unlikely they are trying to force you to upgrade, more likely a problem on your line or if it is only happening at peak times, throughput congestion at your exchange. Post your stats and we will see if anything is obvious.

How to get your Sky Router statistics

You might also want to check if your exchange is one of those listed with problems.

Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thank you for your response, much appreciated - my stats are below. Amazingly since I posted there has been some improvement - as can be seen from past results this year in comparison. I don't view films, play games, download music etc, but occasionally Sky send threatening emails about my usage (which never varies). I presume therefore this communication may be sent a random selection of 'free' users, regardless of usage. My activity 'meter' reflects I am within the 2gb monthly facility. Amusingly though it refers to last April? Also the stats below show higher speeds than the 'Speedtester' reflects?

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 4:28:52
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 49434 69864 0 8191267 88087478 4:27:04
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 4:28:52
      WLAN Up 71727 51255 0 89891466 9123371 4:28:33
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6884 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.5 dB 24.5 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 23.5 dB

SPEED TEST RESULTS SINCE JAN

Date Up Down

15th March 2013 22:21:11 345 Kbps 6217 Kbps
      15th March 2013 19:04:37 345 Kbps 5887 Kbps
      15th March 2013 18:52:19 346 Kbps 6210 Kbps
      15th March 2013 17:57:29 345 Kbps 5884 Kbps
      5th March 2013 16:09:45 667 Kbps 5289 Kbps
      5th March 2013 15:27:03 621 Kbps 5263 Kbps
      5th March 2013 15:26:36 666 Kbps 5254 Kbps
      5th March 2013 15:05:43 669 Kbps 5337 Kbps
      5th March 2013 15:04:22 670 Kbps 5246 Kbps
      25th February 2013 17:45:55 659 Kbps 7205 Kbps
      18th February 2013 15:45:46 235 Kbps 7068 Kbps
      18th February 2013 00:23:51 659 Kbps 6869 Kbps
      17th February 2013 19:08:17 665 Kbps 6868 Kbps
      10th February 2013 18:48:18 587 Kbps 5267 Kbps
      1st February 2013 18:04:33 666 Kbps 6741 Kbps
      29th January 2013 17:50:17 664 Kbps 7242 Kbps
      27th January 2013 18:47:20 648 Kbps 6804 Kbps
      26th January 2013 17:19:35 657 Kbps 6870 Kbps
      16th January 2013 20:40:32 659 Kbps 6863 Kbps
      16th January 2013 00:22:23 666 Kbps 6997 Kbps
      14th January 2013 22:29:10 656 Kbps 7027 Kbps
      13th January 2013 20:57:26 581 Kbps 6817 Kbps
      13th January 2013 20:50:00 601 Kbps 6868 Kbps
      12th January 2013 23:55:08 655 Kbps 7000 Kbps
      12th January 2013 19:19:25 497 Kbps 7598 Kbps
      12th January 2013 01:59:34 654 Kbps 7796 Kbps

Thanks

It looks like DLM has kicked in around the end of February and reduced your speed to stabilise the line. It appears to have reduced your sync speed from 8Mb+ down and 800+ up. It may have been caused by the weather so it may be of benifit to have Sky run DLM training again, this should get you back up to your original speed. If they refuse ask them to increase your upload speed as it is very low and this can actually have an effect on your download speed. There is plenty of noise margin to allow an increase to 0.8 Mb+.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like DLM has kicked in around the end of February and reduced your speed to stabilise the line. It appears to have reduced your sync speed from 8Mb+ down and 800+ up. It may have been caused by the weather so it may be of benifit to have Sky run DLM training again, this should get you back up to your original speed. If they refuse ask them to increase your upload speed as it is very low and this can actually have an effect on your download speed. There is plenty of noise margin to allow an increase to 0.8 Mb+.
      Thank you, I seem to remember this happening with BT as a previous ISP many years ago when a bad connection at a junction box in the town, kept disconnecting our line?

Is it not a fact that after a few weeks the line 'retrains' itself back to 'normal'? If that is the case then I'd rather wait, as I have found dealing with Sky 'help' a daunting and physically upsetting experience.

Probably my fault for being in my seventies now and being unable to keep up with them I suppose?

Thanks

Is it not a fact that after a few weeks the line 'retrains' itself back to 'normal'?
      In theory it should, but in practise once DLM reduces the speed, it seldom goes back up. It is one of the main differences between what BT use and what Sky have in place.

TomD

Useful Utilites

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

skydance (16-03-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      In theory it should, but in practise once DLM reduces the speed, it seldom goes back up. It is one of the main differences between what BT use and what Sky have in place.
      Thanks again, an update. Contacted Sky help, we tried the test socket route etc, but no joy and then I lost everything - line apparently down. Sky are going to carry out tests and come back to me?

Anyway in the calm after this Sky call, I eventually discovered the 'locking' part of the plastic terminal on the cable into the router had broken off, leaving a sloppy push in only connection, (before replacing this I noticed the telephone worked OK, if the ADSL socket was not connected) which must have meant interference somewhere. Obviously with the line intermittently losing connection etc I'd been slowed down as you said, to strengthen the line.

All is now working again, but at half my previous upload speed. Are Sky un-keen to undertake DLM, I seem to remember BT were? (surprise).

Thanks for helping me, I can imagine BT over-reach turning up here and with relish wanting 80 +VAT to reveal what I'd discovered.

So I guess I've got to contact Sky help again and explain what has taken place and ask them nicely for DLM to hopefully get my speed back up? In all fairness the young man was very helpful and tried very hard to sort out my problem.

RADZ1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01424
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I too have lost about a meg up and down i have been on the phone to sky but tba they don't know their **** from their elbow, all they say is reset router and try test socket. Im thinking what tom said i was in dlm whilst the bad weather was going on and now im set at this lower speed. I am gonna phone them again tonight and ask to be reconfigured again WISH ME LUCK.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Two things to note folks:

BTO's responsibility is for the line from your Master Socket (or Test Socket if you have an NTE5) to the Telephone Exchange. If any fault is in that area then they will not charge you for the call-out. This is why we often ask people to check things at the Master Socket or Test Socket when available.

As for Sky's call centres, they have a crib sheet called "Sky Answers". They have to follow this. Since all calls are recorded, they are often reviewed and should someone be found to not use the crib sheet then they do get told off. Please forgive the individuals that you deal with on the phone and when prompted quickly run through it with them.

As for DLM, it has improved a huge amount and there have been other improvements recently behind the scenes. It is considerably better now than it used to be. However it does interpret frequent router resets as a line fault, so refrain from doing this where possible. On the plus side, if you leave your router connected and don't keep reseting it, DLM does tend to now kick in and re-profile your line, where previously it tended to forget to do this.

Since Sky also reduced the Noise Margin specifications when it rolled out the new DLM software this time last year, all the ADSL connections on it's own kit have since been re-profiled. In many cases the connection speeds have been improved considerably.

The exception to the DLM issue for ADSL connections is for those who are on the Sky Connect package. The DLM process used there is actually BTO's DLM process as those customers are on BT kit not Sky kit.

The DLM process on Fibre connections follows a totally different set of rules.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Two things to note folks:

BTO's responsibility is for the line from your Master Socket (or Test Socket if you have an NTE5) to the Telephone Exchange. If any fault is in that area then they will not charge you for the call-out. This is why we often ask people to check things at the Master Socket or Test Socket when available.

As for Sky's call centres, they have a crib sheet called "Sky Answers". They have to follow this. Since all calls are recorded, they are often reviewed and should someone be found to not use the crib sheet then they do get told off. Please forgive the individuals that you deal with on the phone and when prompted quickly run through it with them.

As for DLM, it has improved a huge amount and there have been other improvements recently behind the scenes. It is considerably better now than it used to be. However it does interpret frequent router resets as a line fault, so refrain from doing this where possible. On the plus side, if you leave your router connected and don't keep reseting it, DLM does tend to now kick in and re-profile your line, where previously it tended to forget to do this.

Since Sky also reduced the Noise Margin specifications when it rolled out the new DLM software this time last year, all the ADSL connections on it's own kit have since been re-profiled. In many cases the connection speeds have been improved considerably.

The exception to the DLM issue for ADSL connections is for those who are on the Sky Connect package. The DLM process used there is actually BTO's DLM process as those customers are on BT kit not Sky kit.

The DLM process on Fibre connections follows a totally different set of rules.
      Thank you Scubie for a really helpful reply. I re-booted upon changing the connection lead from the socket to the router. From the stats below you can see it's been up over 40 hours now, incidentally my ping has also increased from about 40 average to 75.

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 40:39:32
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 257787 374714 0 38429961 477329296 40:38:30
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 40:39:32
      WLAN Up 398668 278009 0 501856652 44564463 40:39:13

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 7001 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 44.5 dB 24.6 dB
      Noise Margin 5.4 dB 23.5 dB

I'm a light user and have Sky's 'free' broadband included in my viewing package. The local exchange is LLU enabled, which was the principal reason I moved from BT five years ago. That said my exchange is shown as having problems, which apparently are expected to be solved FEB '13!

From what you've said DLM should set in automatically and adjust the line once a stable uninterrupted connection has been established a few days or a week. As Sky didn't ring me back from my initial enquiry, I'm afraid I don't have much confidence in them carrying out what they say anyway and the trauma in even getting through to them persuades me not to bother, but simply endure.

We live in a world of declining standards I'm afraid...
      Last edited by skydance; 18-03-13 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Inclusion

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast