Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Reduced Service since March

This is a discussion on Reduced Service since March within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I can't remember an instance reported on the forum where DLM has kicked in of its own accord and increased ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Reduced Service since March

I can't remember an instance reported on the forum where DLM has kicked in of its own accord and increased a speed. It happens with Fibre users as they are on the BT system, not Sky's.

The problems being experienced by exchanges is in throughput, it does not effect the actual connection speed to the exchange, it effects actual download speeds, especially at peak times.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

skydance (18-03-13)

3. Advertisement
      skydance is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: F@ST2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

An update, my Downstream Noise Margin has increased over the past 87 hours from 1.8 to 7.4, as has my connection speed, since replacing a faulty lead and re-booting. This I presume due to DLM re-establishing the previous performance I'd had for many years?

I've kept a close eye on my stats (every few hours). I wonder if someone can explain the 'Time up' factors please?

Up to last night the Wan, Lan & WLan 'Up Times' were virtually identical. This morning the WAN has dropped (see stats below). Is this something physical that has occurred on the line overnight? Is WAN or LAN Up Time more vital to retain?

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 87:56:46
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 15419 18125 0 3311398 18970206 11:20:04
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 87:56:46
      WLAN Up 806994 667478 0 910545449 132340738 87:56:27
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6136 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 45.0 dB 24.6 dB
      Noise Margin 7.4 dB 17.0 dB

Thanks

System uptime Is always the same as the LAN uptime, the total time the router has been running..

WAN uptime is the time you are connected to the exchange without a disconnection. Yours has resynced in the early hours suggesting that DLM training has started. You should not switch off or disconnect your router until it completes. It looks like you will get 8-9Mb.

LAN uptime is the total time your router has been running without a reboot. This will always show an uptime even if you do not use the LAN, it appears you do not.

WLAN uptime is the same as the LAN uptime with the exception that this can also change if the wireless on the router is disabled then re-enabled. If disabled this will always show a zero figure.
      joe pineapples and gymno like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

skydance (20-03-13)

Thanks

Going from bad to worse. Get disconnected every night around 2/3am and my speed is now one third of what it was a year ago. Apparently the 01255 exchange is getting 'upgraded' according to our local paper and my area is part of that upgrade, others are not so fortunate apparently? I can't seem to find out, when this upgrade becomes operational? BT fault service were very helpful today I must say. I was referred to 'Broadband', who were very polite and said the fault would be rectified within 3 days? If improvements are taking place for the better, I understand the spasmodic drop outs etc. Perhaps if BT (still my line provider, not Sky) were to make available on the net a 'bulletin board' to consult, it would help. Perhaps they do and I can't find it.

ROUTER STATISTICS at 14.35pm 13/8/2013

System Up Time: 17:16:40
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 28209 30784 0 0 0 3:02:55
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 17:16:40
      WLAN Up 140474 118699 0 79002 9219 17:16:20
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2559 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 47.0 dB 27.2 dB
      Noise Margin 8.2 dB 11.0 dB

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I do not think that you will get much of an answer, but have you tried emailing Openreach?

Try this address: nga.enquiries at openreach.co.uk

You will need to provide your home postcode in the email.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

skydance (13-08-13)

Thanks

Thank you Scubbie for the help, I'll give it a try.

My regards

Martin

Thanks

Resyncs in the early hours usually means that DLM training is in progress. The increase in attenuation is a bit worrying, it suggests there is a problem with the line. If your exchange is being upgraded there is a good chance that this is to facilitate fibre and many have found that their ADSL speed reduced when this was taking place. I don't think anyone knows why, but it could be the connections in the cabinet being disturbed when the connections are being put in for the copper connection to the new fibre cabinet. Keep checking if the resyncs continue in the early hours, when this stops, DLM should be complete.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Reduced Service since March

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Resyncs in the early hours usually means that DLM training is in progress. The increase in attenuation is a bit worrying, it suggests there is a problem with the line. If your exchange is being upgraded there is a good chance that this is to facilitate fibre and many have found that their ADSL speed reduced when this was taking place. I don't think anyone knows why, but it could be the connections in the cabinet being disturbed when the connections are being put in for the copper connection to the new fibre cabinet. Keep checking if the resyncs continue in the early hours, when this stops, DLM should be complete.
      Thank you again for your help. I am advised by BT that yes, there is major work going on right now to convert my area to super fast, they insist this will be finished by the 16th of August? I got this also from my MP today, who is contesting another region within my exchange area, who are not being modernised. There are about 8 post-codes currently being converted and mine is definitely one of them. His information, maps etc (a la BT) were very good too. I have to add, that I was seeing him on another matter and he broached the subject knowing my postal area of course. I was getting speeds of 8meg down 3 years ago anyway, which was fine for me and I understand thats what the update may deliver again. Are you aware if the fibre optic cable etc, is changed outside our properties, in exchanges and the new cabinets, or will all the wiring in buildings etc have to be done as well, I suspect not, but I would like to know?

I attach my stats from the 6/813 by the way, which show a massive increase in SNR, following a long period of speeds of less than 400kbps up. Strangely the connection shown of 778 kbps down, bore no relevance to the way my browser was working. It should have been slow, but felt like 4 megs or more upload! This stella improvement didn't last long, but may indicate the day change-over work started? My distance from the exchange is 2008 metres according to 'Samknows' by the way, but I understand in future the proximity to the new 'Blue Cabinet' is the important factor for speed?

Thank you
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reduced Service since March-13-13.28pm-after-disruption-.jpg  
      Last edited by skydance; 15-08-13 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Add stats

Thanks

Fibre to the Cabinet does not involve any work inside the house, except maybe upgrading the filters. Copper connections are taken from the existing cab to the new fibre one and from there to the exchange is Fibre. The neare to the new cab yu are, the greater the chance of having a high speed. Only when Fibre to the Home is installed is any rewiring required in the house.

With your present stats I think you should call Sky and ask them to reconfigure your line, preferably by putting DLM training back on the line or manually. The former is preferred as it is likely to give you the highest stable speed possible, but it depends on the agent you get, some will put training back on others will do it manually.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Reduced Service since March

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      With your present stats I think you should call Sky and ask them to reconfigure your line, preferably by putting DLM training back on the line or manually. The former is preferred as it is likely to give you the highest stable speed possible, but it depends on the agent you get, some will put training back on others will do it manually.
      Thank you, I'll call them today.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast