Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SR101 to two Linksys X3000 Router help, one network setup

This is a discussion on SR101 to two Linksys X3000 Router help, one network setup within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I want to connect two additional Linksys X3000 routers to the Sky SR101 as the default gateway, all under ...

lukedobson is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unhappy SR101 to two Linksys X3000 Router help, one network setup

Hi,

I want to connect two additional Linksys X3000 routers to the Sky SR101 as the default gateway, all under the same network, same subnet.

Have moved to sky from Virgin just a month ago as we have just moved house. Being on cable broadband before, I never knew how complicated it has got now on ADSL. So my old routers, only a couple of years old, are now of no use due to the PPPoA. So I went out and purchased two new Linksys X3000 routers.

Upon setup with the CD provided with the X3000, it automatically connected to the SR101 via WAN to LAN, and on RFC2684 Bridged. However when I tried to change the IP from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.2, it connects for the first time wirelessly via my laptop, but if I try to disconnect and reconnect, then I come into all sorts of problems. All of a sudden it will throw back a 169 address to my iPad but the correct settings to my laptop, but the DNS server won't respond, so I am connected to the network but not internet access.

I have tried everything, searched every forum for the answers but I just can't work this out. I have tried spoofing the MAC, i've extracted the password and username from the SR101 via Wireshark, changed the setting to RFC2364 PPPoA, changed the VCI to 38, then to Auto, tried DHCP relay, or turned it of completely, tried setting up Static IP addresses for MAC reservation. But nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong?

Regarding the DHCP settings, is it best to separate the IP pools between the three, ie. 0.2-0.99, 0.100-0.149, 0.150-0.199? Or relay the DHCP to the SR101 as DHCP Server?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Its been up for a month now and still can't use it to the full. I get 12mbps from wired connection, but only 2mbps from the wireless connection the Sky Hub. when the X3000 works before the connection dies, I receive 12mbps too wirelessly.

Oh and all wired connections from the X3000 works no problem too, at 12mbps.

So this is what I am trying to achieve:

SR101 {192.168.0.1} <WAN> to <LAN> X3000 {192.168.0.2} <LAN> to <LAN> X3000 {192.168.0.3}

Thanks!!

Luke

EDIT: Forgot to say, another possibility, it seems as if the X3000's are struggling to obtain the DNS and Default Gateway data and whatever else, from the SR101. Could it possibly be the SR101 holding back passing the info on to the other routers?
      Last edited by lukedobson; 14-03-13 at 01:49 AM. Reason: forgot something

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: SR101 to two Linksys X3000 Router help, one network setup

Have you taken a look at this post?

How to connect two Routers together

You should probably use the SR101 as the DHCP server, turning this off on the other routers.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes I've read through that forum and others relating to that but after trying what's been said, still can't get it to work. I still think the difficulty is with the sky hub.

Thank you for your advice though

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If you want to run it as one network, you will have to connect ethernet to ethernet, not using the WAN ports on the Linksys'. Ensure that the DHCP servers are turned off in the Linksys' and they both have addresses in the range of the Sky hub, 192.168.0.250 and 251 for instance. That is about all you have to do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

That's the thing, I am only using LAN to LAN to connect the two routers to the SR101. I can connect to the network no problem. The problem is internet access. That is the issue I'm having. I'm not a technician when it comes to networking, but I have learnt a lot over the years, but never known something to be so complicated like this, when it should be a simple process

Thanks

I'm sorry, but your mention of this -

Upon setup with the CD provided with the X3000, it automatically connected to the SR101 via WAN to LAN, and on RFC2684 Bridged
      suggests you are not connecting ethernet to ethernet. If you connecting ethernet to ethernet and disabling their DHCP servers you are cutting out the router functions of the Linksys routers completely. You are infact using them purely as switches. There is no reason why it should not work.

SR101 {192.168.0.1} <LAN> to <LAN> X3000 {192.168.0.2} <LAN> to <LAN> X3000 {192.168.0.3} You would have to reserve these addresses in the SR101 or they are likely to be given out to other devices by the DHCP. That is why |I recommend you use high numbers such as 250 and 251. There is a good chance .2 and .3 is already allocated to other devices, giving you more problems.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

lukedobson (14-03-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh I understand, so what should the router setting be set as if it isn't RFC2684 Bridged?

With regards the IP addresses, the routers are assigned on the SR101 as well as the other devices which I don't move around like printers and TV etc, they all have static IP addresses.

Thanks it really helps!! A step closer to fixing this

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Thanks

I could be wrong, but doesn't that bridged mode still use the WAN port? I'm not sure on the interface for the linksys, but can you set it to turn ADSL off or put it in to an 'ethernet' mode

Thanks

Oh I understand, so what should the router setting be set as if it isn't RFC2684 Bridged?
      As you are not using it as a router, rather a switch, there is no need to set any mode for the router. Just ignore these settings as they don't come into play unless you are using the WAN port.

TomD

Useful Utilites

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

lukedobson (28-03-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right,

So I have changed both routers to Ethernet only, so it's more like a daisy chain. Both X3000 routers are now outside of the DHCP settings on the SR101 to stop any IP conflicts.

So far, anything connected via Ethernet cable from the X3000's is absolutely fine. Wireless is a different story. One laptop work, and so does a printer with wireless.

However....

3 other laptops are connecting fine, but not receiving any internet connection. They all have the correct DNS settings, IP addresses and subnets, but no internet access.
      Our iPad's and smartphones all throw back a 169... IP. So somewhere down the line, they aren't talking to the SR101 somehow, and now it's been a couple of weeks and it's still not working.

Biggest pain is the 2mbps limitation on the SR101

Any other suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast