Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Variation in speed estimates

This is a discussion on Variation in speed estimates within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Pretty soon I'll be moving into a flat and looks like I'm just missing out on being near ...

robnobleuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01278
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Variation in speed estimates

Hi All,

Pretty soon I'll be moving into a flat and looks like I'm just missing out on being near a fibre cabinet!
      Anyway, I've gone through BT and Sky's order process, just comparing prices and I'll probably go with Sky.
      The BT estimate for speed is between 3 - 7Mbps, however Sky gives an estimate of between 7 - 14.3Mbps.
      Which do you think will be the most acccurate? I was under the impression the information came from the same source?

Thanks!

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Variation in speed estimates

It can also depend on what equipment is in your exchange. Standard ADSL Max is up to 8Mbps, whereas ADSL2+ gives up to 24Mbps. If Sky have their own kit in your exchange, then you may get the higher speed estimate as their kit is based on ADSL2+. The same will be true *if* BT has upgraded their own kit through the "21CN" rollout. If they haven't, then it's still on "20CN" kit and the max anyone could get is 8Mbps.

Best to use a checker such as SamKnows - Accurate broadband performance information for consumers, governments and ISPs and see what exchange you are on. It will also give details of whether the exchange is "21CN" enabled and whether Sky have their own kit installed - under the "LLU operator presence".

Thanks

It would appear the exchange is 21CN enabled, and also is available with Sky LLU, so I would have though speeds would be the same?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

There must be other factors involved.

I'm in a small block of 12 flats & just using sky's checker, my next door neighbours estimate is 5 - 11.4mb, whereas mine is 11.2 - 18mb.

I actually get 20mb.

Thanks

I think I'll just go for it and see how it goes speed-wise, I did think that the speed results would be similar seeing as ADSL2+ is available, as well as Sky LLU. Checked a few other providers and they all go along with the BT figure.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

My exchange is the same, with 21cn & sky llu available.

I just did some bt checks here & here.

On both bt checkers, for me & my neighbour, the (non fibre) estimate was 14mb, with a 'range' of 8 - 18.5mb.

Not particularly helpful really

Thanks

I've just checked another number in the same block, and the Sky estimate falls in line with the BT estimate, of up to 7Mbps, I can't really see how being in a different flat, same block, would result in a possible doubling of the speed, bearing in mind it's connected to the same cabinet. I think I'll go along with the fact that it'll be up to 7 and anything else would be nice!

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Maybe sky use historical data?

IE: sky's info for the other flat you checked (& my neighbours) could be based on previous speeds at that address, prior to 21cn or llu being available.

They'd have a good estimate for my address because i am with sky & perhaps have a good one for your new address due to previous tenants being with them as well.

Or it may not even be a sky thing, but just people switching provider after the better services become available somehow updates the records somewhere?