Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Switch side is slow router is lighting

This is a discussion on Switch side is slow router is lighting within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, been doing some research and cant find a solution. I am trying to set up a faster internal ...

activeman57 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Switch side is slow router is lighting

Hi all, been doing some research and cant find a solution. I am trying to set up a faster internal home network. I have sky broadband router sagem 2500n about a year old. I bought a Netgear GS608v2. I have this sat next to the router and connected via a cat6 cable about 50cm long. The internet measures about 15mg on the router side but the switch side is always flashing orange or green depending on the device but the internet is slow and cant measure more than 0.5mg. I tried various cable and different ports, reset the router. The orange lights are consistently flashing on the gs608 like someting is always happening.

My plan was to have a nice fast LAN and devices can use the internet as and when.

If this helps

Router is connected to PC and GS608. The GS608 is connected to laptop. PC internet fast Laptop slow. I unplug laptop and plug it in to the router and it becomes fast internet and i mean 0.5mg on switch and 15mg on sky router.

Help! is my switch not working or something else i can try. I have using cat 5e and cat6 cables utp and bought from ebay and they all work with xbox, laptop and tv!

Any advice please let me know

2. Advertisement
      mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Switch side is slow router is lighting

Does look that way. From what I can see, the switch has auto-uplink so you shouldn't need to plug the cable from the router in to a particular port (you could always try the first and last ports to check).

What do the 'orange' lights mean on the switch? On netgear kit, this usually means an issue or something is not working a full speed for some reason. Worth looking in to this.

You could also test without the internet. Plug both the PC and laptop in to the switch and transfer files between them. See what speeds you are getting. The max speed will be dependent on what the network cards can support.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could also try a different port on the router. If that and what Mattan suggests fails, your switch is faulty.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

activeman57 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Does look that way. From what I can see, the switch has auto-uplink so you shouldn't need to plug the cable from the router in to a particular port (you could always try the first and last ports to check).

What do the 'orange' lights mean on the switch? On netgear kit, this usually means an issue or something is not working a full speed for some reason. Worth looking in to this.

You could also test without the internet. Plug both the PC and laptop in to the switch and transfer files between them. See what speeds you are getting. The max speed will be dependent on what the network cards can support.
      Hi thanks for reply. Will try this. As a point when anything plugs in to the Switch the orange light flashes like mad like constant data moving even with out the router connected

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

orange light usually means working at 10mbps and green 100mbps it may mean your switch is only operating on this also check if it is full duplex or half duplex

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

On all Netgear gear to be fully functioning, the light should be green. I am not sure about a gigabit switch but an orange/yellow light indicates a 10mbps connection on a 100mb switch, it could mean 100mb on a 1000mb switch, not sure.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.