Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving house with Sky, will password change?

This is a discussion on Moving house with Sky, will password change? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I'm currently using my own router rather than the one Sky supplied, I still have it somewhere however. They have ...

Xirix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Moving house with Sky, will password change?

I'm currently using my own router rather than the one Sky supplied, I still have it somewhere however. They have to cancel it and put in a re-order as part of the process of reinstating it because I'm moving home, they say all my details will be transferred over... but I thought I'd ask.

Will the password for my internet stay the same, or will I have to set up Sky's router and extract the password again?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Moving house with Sky, will password change?

The password is unique to the router you received, not you, the line you are on or your address. You should just be able to plug it in and it will connect. The only provision is that the new line/exchange must be using PPPoA and not MER only. If it is the latter, you will not be able to connect unless you are using a specific Billion with the correct firmware.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Xirix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Well Sky didn't send me a new router or anything, it's coming back on tomorrow and per their usual they want the router on the a week so they can guage speeds and such, so should it be safe to use my Belkin router I've been using with them for years?

Obviously they don't seem to notice if you switch routers, but I'm paranoid that they might be able to during these tests?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The DLM software runs 24/7 in order to monitor the lines. It normally only changes the speeds in the early hours.

If using your own router was an issue for the DLM software, it would have shown up some time back.

As Tom mentioned, the only issue of any concern at present is whether or not your new line will support a PPPoA connection and not be locked to MER. Otherwise, all should be fine with regards to the router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms