Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line Problems... AGAIN :(

This is a discussion on Line Problems... AGAIN :( within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All, Been having line/broadband problems for years now, especially after rain has had time to soak-in. I've had BT ...

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Netgear D7800 (AC2600) Nighthawk
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Line Problems... AGAIN :(

Hi All,

Been having line/broadband problems for years now, especially after rain has had time to soak-in. I've had BT Openreach engineers out a few times (when we were with BT for our line rental/broadband.) I've also had BT Openreach engineers out a few more times since we've been with Sky for our line rental/broadband etc.

Anyway It goes like this...

I firstly notice unstable broadband almost immediately it occurs, I then jump into the router stats page which normally confirms my thoughts (noisy line again!)

Next step is to pick-up the phone, and listen! It's always noisy during the broadband problem (pops/crackly hissing etc) I also know that the broadband will always drop out first once the line goes noisy, as it's very sensitive to line instability.

Anyway.. Here are two screen shots from today's events... Oh and YES we had rain again yesterday. I'm sure at least a few folks
      here will see the UP/DOWN stream Noise Margin problems I see right away every time this occurs. It really does go all over the place.

I think I know what you're going to say folks.. Get BT Openreach out again?..

The problem is though my friends.. They just keep turning-up, testing the line, checking the cabinet at the end of the road. Then tell me it's ok as the problem cannot be
      replicated at that time.

IMHO I feel that we either need the old copper line replacing to our home (it's 38 years old) OR moisture is getting in somewhere (like the box at the top of the pole,) and this is causing our problem. However I have also asked BT Openreach to check the box etc but they say there is no point

Any further advise please guys?

Thank You

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Line Problems... AGAIN :(

best thing is raise another fault but keep it open if you can its only way if you have raised this enough should not be closed and should be brought to conclusion but real problem is cost of replacement for line equipment , please make sure that problem is recorded as occuring during and after rain

Thanks

Hi tenar,

Thanks for your reply. I have reported this many times my friend (probably about 10+ times now with 3 engineer visits.) I have also mentioned the rain and possible water ingress
      into the external phone system, however this is always just overlooked as the problem can not be traced when the Openreach engineers come out. Which is normally
      a few days after the rain has gone.

Believe it or not.. I actually have a recording on my phone of what the line sounds like when it's noisy, and it's very easily audible, but even this doesn't seem to
      help get anything done

Thanks again though.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

which way is fault being reported as telephone fault or bb fault ? this can mean a difference in type of openreach engineer

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Presumably, you've been through all the troubleshooting several times by now, yet the problems persist even when plugged directly in to the test socket.
      I also assume sky have some evidence of a line fault, otherwise grr engineers wouldn't have been booked to visit you.

If that's the case, then one piece of advice i have is to not give up.

If you haven't already, plug in to the test socket & leave it there.
      Also, try to reserve phoning sky for when there's noise on the line, so hopefully they can hear it.

It's the responsibility of grr to maintain the copper line between your home & the phone exchange & they should really be sorting it out.
      Unfortunately, sky (along with all isp's) have to rely on grr in this way.

My similar experience:
      lift & shift

Thanks

I've tried both. I'm on to Sky again now.. Just In a queue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Presumably, you've been through all the troubleshooting several times by now, yet the problems persist even when plugged directly in to the test socket.
      I also assume sky have some evidence of a line fault, otherwise grr engineers wouldn't have been booked to visit you.

If that's the case, then one piece of advice i have is to not give up.

If you haven't already, plug in to the test socket & leave it there.
      Also, try to reserve phoning sky for when there's noise on the line, so hopefully they can hear it.

It's the responsibility of grr to maintain the copper line between your home & the phone exchange & they should really be sorting it out.
      Unfortunately, sky (along with all isp's) have to rely on grr in this way.

My similar experience:
      lift & shift
      Sorry gymno.. I was trying to reply to tenar but the bloody broadband kept cutting out so I missed your post.

Anyway.. Yes I have been through all the troubleshooting routines many many times my friend.

Luckily today the noise WAS present when I rang Sky, however they couldn't hear it, OR detect anything using their line test tool.. No Fault.

Another Openreach guy is booked to come out to us, however sod's law means that when he arrives the problem will have cleared up again However Sky have put notes on the
      referral this time to inform the Openreach guy that this problem only seems to arise during damp/wet weather when the wind is blowing from the SW.. Which coincides funnily
      with the way the box at the top of the pole faces. Hmmm

I'll keep at it though

EDIT

Just been reading trough your linked post gymno. Sounds like a similar sort of problem here. However It's getting these
      Openreach guys down the holes and up the poles which seems to be the trouble

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Deleted: Post now irrelevant.
      Last edited by gymno; 11-02-13 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Typing whilst intended recipient was.