Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

My Experience.

This is a discussion on My Experience. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The plot thickens... or maybe that's just the staff. I just rang Tech Support and spoke to Brian. He said ...

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      The plot thickens... or maybe that's just the staff.

I just rang Tech Support and spoke to Brian. He said that DSLAM card 13 is still broken on all ports and was never fixed at all. He says he needs to get Telent (whoever they are) to fix it. He also agrees that it sounds like I was never connected to the DSLAM anyway but seems totally dissinterested in getting me connected.

He has no idea what century we'll be in when they finally get around to thinking about fixing it.

He did say he'll e-mail his superiors to get it accelerated - I'll believe that when I can connect.

Curiously, he didn't go through all the tests.

So, the one thing we can confirm is that I'm being lied to by someone. I just don't know who.

Next came June in Customer Services. She credited my account with the 15 quid I've been charged so far and gave me the address to write to to try and get some kind of compensation.

2. Advertisement
      Psycho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMGDDLI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Well to be honest Hoagie, at least there is a modicum of continuity in so much that neither of us still have no idea as to 1. Exactly what the "real" problem is & 2. When or indeed if we will ever get an operational Sky BB service.

To be perfectly honest I'm tempted to keep an eye out for any vans at the exchange over the next week or so & if I spot any I might just knock on the door & see if they will speak to me about the problem. I would even go as far as to slip the engineer 20 to get him to look at it. (Talk about desperate measures )

Thanks
      Count me in for 20 quid too.

Thanks

Will do mate no worries

The really galling thing was when a TS guy said to me last week "WOW we've checked your line & it will support 18mb easily let alone our 16mb service" so I said "well yeah so it should, I've paced the cable to my house & it's 387m give or take 10m. However you can't actually provide me with anything at present so thanks for reminding me"

Just a little pointer for those of you out there who look at the distance to you from the exchange. I only live 240m as the crow flies from the exchange & can walk the cable route following the duct covers (sad I know, I must get out more) in the pavement. But when you read your proximity to your local exchange on the numerous web sites don't forget that this is NOT the cable length which is the all important factor relative to you connection speed. As a rule of thumb I would say double it, so if the site says you live 2 miles away the cable length could be upto 4 miles in TOTAL length

Thanks
      I've never looked into where the exchange is until now. I'd expect a fairly straight cable run to me on Coningswath Road. I'll take a look tonight if I remember.

I know I can get the full ADSL 1 speed because that's still what's connected to the other end of my phone line now.

Thanks

Yeah you're quite local to it mate, I'd expect a pretty straight run to you.

The exchange itself is located opposite the police station at the bottom of Cavendish. If you get to the bottom of Cavendish Road & then turn left onto Cavendish Drive the exchange is immediately on your right opposite the TA.

Thanks
      I've looked at Telent http://www.telent.com/ and found a web site full of grade A Bull****. Don't bother going to their site and applying for a job so you can fix your own problem, the careers in Cable Services page is a dead link. Always a good sign on the front page of any business

Thanks
      Just got off the phone with Sarah Miller - Tech support Tier 1 operational leader.

She said the DSLAM card has been knackered since 25/10/06 and never been fixed. Forgot to ask why I had no connection before that either. She said she'll mail T3 and get them to chase Telent and give me an update.

There's no record of anyone being told the DSLAM was fixed.

She has no idea of the make & model of the DSLAM card in question.

Thanks

Right then Hoagie. I'm hoping that we may be getting somewhere.

Had a long conversation with Tier 3 in the early hours of Saturday morning & explained that I had sought a second opinion regarding what my router was telling me. Basically a friend of a friend who works for BT came round & said straight away "you're still connected to the BT DSLAM" so I said how could he be so sure to which he replied "if you were connected to a defective DSLAM the router would not sync to anything, by virtue of the fact that it is syncing to the exchange & detecting your old line speed it is definitely still connected to BT"

So I explained all of this to Tier 3 & he agreed with every word.

So, basically the end result was that he confirmed that 1. I was still connected to BT & 2. Card 13 was still down. Further to this he confirmed that my problem was now logged as 2 problems & not just the card failure in the exchange.

He said that he would get the BT liason staff to ring me early this week to confirm what is discussed with BT relative to resolving the migration failure

Here's hoping.

Thanks
      How did you get to Tier 3? I'd like to have a chat with them too.

The DSLAM Help thread is from someone who knows his DSLAMs. It seems our card is a 72 port card so I guess there's 70 more people around here with problems.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast