Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

help! have a wasted my money buying a netgear router?

This is a discussion on help! have a wasted my money buying a netgear router? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; hello all, I am new to the forum and wanted to ask for some help please. my sagem sky router ...

bria is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: netgear n300 wnr2000 cable version
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

help! have a wasted my money buying a netgear router?

hello all,

I am new to the forum and wanted to ask for some help please.
      my sagem sky router packed up two weeks ago and sky said that we needed to buy a new one.

stupidly I thought I could get any one so bought a netgear n300 wnr2000 cable version brand new from ebay and called sky for help setting it up.

well....(as you probably all know) to make a long story short I was told off by them and told they don't support it etc. my options were limited. so I searched and I came here.

I have seen a few threads about piggybacking etc but my router wont even come on so I can get the username password info etc.

Just wondered is there a way to do it or do I need to buy. a router from sky as they have advised

Any help would be greatly appreciated as money is extemely tight.

Hope my request makes sense...

FYI: my tech knowledge is basic.

thanks
      bri

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: help! have a wasted my money buying a netgear router?

Your best bet would be to buy a Sky router from eBay and piggy back your Netgear on to it. They sell quite cheaply and most will work out of the box.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Your best bet would be to buy a Sky router from eBay and piggy back your Netgear on to it. They sell quite cheaply and most will work out of the box.
      What about if Bria is using MER? I'm not sure, but isn't the mac address of the device tied to the service that is provided by Sky? - I'm not sure to be honest, I could be wrong, but I just wouldn't want Bria to spend more money and end up with another brick?

Personally, when my router packs up, I'll move my service if Sky don't give me another router FOC, as it's grossly unfair (uncompetitive?) that they don't allow other modems to be used, and they make you buy a new one from themselves. If we lived in the US, there would have been a class action lawsuit by now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What about if Bria is using MER?
      That is why I suggest another Sky router instead of a 3rd party replacement. All, except possibly the Ver 1, are capable of connecting using MER. They are not tied to any particular line, even those issued for fibre can be used on an ADSL connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.