Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ASUS RT N16 and PPOA Help Please.

This is a discussion on ASUS RT N16 and PPOA Help Please. within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi folks, I've been reading this and Lord knows how many other forums about my intended setup. I have just ...

loneranger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: dgnd330v3
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

ASUS RT N16 and PPOA Help Please.

Hi folks,

I've been reading this and Lord knows how many other forums about my intended setup.

I have just bought an Asus NT R16 which will replace my DGND3300v3. I have an old DG834PN that I hoped to use as "modem only" then connect the Asus from there. That's where I come unstuck because of the PPOA.

I've looked at so many different threads about bridge mode, disabling DHCP etc, that I've just got completely confused with it all!!

I have read that I may have to buy the vigor 120 to sort this out, but I'd rather not pay any more out to be honest.

Is there another way to achieve the same result? Would putting Tomato or DDWRT on the Asus enable me to connect to the netgear.

I want the Asus to manage all connections and the Netgear to simply act as the modem.

I am not very router savvy with all this but I can follow instruction!

I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: ASUS RT N16 and PPOA Help Please.

You will be able to use the DG834PN in Modem only mode if you install DGTeam firmware. http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear/
      Firmware is available for the N model, don't know if this would work on the PN.

There is reputably a hidden menu on Netgears which may allow you to use modem only without the DGteam firmware. Try entering 192.168.0.1/mode.htm this brings it up with DGTeam but it may also work on standard firmware.

The settings for connecting should be on the modem, not the Asus.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You will be able to use the DG834PN in Modem only mode if you install DGTeam firmware. http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear/
      Firmware is available for the N model, don't know if this would work on the PN.

There is reputably a hidden menu on Netgears which may allow you to use modem only without the DGteam firmware. Try entering 192.168.0.1/mode.htm this brings it up with DGTeam but it may also work on standard firmware.

The settings for connecting should be on the modem, not the Asus.
      Hi Isitme,

thanks for your reply,

You of course are right, I have been able to use the link you gave on the dg834pn even without dgteam firmware which put it in "modem only" mode. It then getting the Asus to "log in", I am offered choices of methods to log in but none are ppoa. Consequently when I put the dg834pn into modem only mode and then reboot I of course have no internet connection until I log in via the Asus. I have even disabled DHCP and SSID on the dg934pn before I put it into modem only mode. Is my only way of doing this through the vigor120?

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you install the appropriate alternative firmware from Tomatousb you will find it will give your rt-n16 a PPPoe option.

I note you state ppoa, just wondered if it is a typo and you mean PPPoe?

In any case, I too run a rt-n16 and can thoroughly recommend tomatousb. It is absolutly stable and turns a good router into an outstanding router.

HTH

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jrfer For This Useful Post:

loneranger (02-02-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi jrfer,

sorry mate, I am probably coming over at crossed purposes here lol! I am going to put tomato (probably toastman- got it all ready!!) on my aus, but I need to connect to SKY. Their connection is PPOA whereas the Asus doesn't. I then need to use my netgear in modem only then connect to that. This still gives me the ppoa problem.

jrfer, if you connect to SKY broadband getting round the ppoa issue, can you let me know please. Thanks, pulling my hair out!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

I have not tried it but is it not possible to set up all the ADSL settings on the Netgear then change the mode to Modem only. After that plug one of its ethernet ports into the WAN port of the Asus. Set the ASUS to use PPPoE, without login and see how it goes.

The alternate is to set the DG up as a normal modem/router and put the Asus into its DMZ. Turn off DHCP and wireless in the DG to prevent conflicts. If you have a look at this thread it will give you an idea what must be done. The procedure will apply to your Asus.-
      Using the DLink DIR613.

Admittedly this is not true 'modem only' mode, but it is as near as you will get if you can't get modem only to work.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

loneranger (02-02-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Isitme, thank you for your reply. It all gets a bit much much to take in when going beyond the norm if you know what I mean. I have got my eye on a draytek vigor 120 that apparently takes all the "hassle" away as it were! I've read it has a ppoa to ppoe pass through, and its pretty unique! I am going on to that thread now to have a look; honestly I've had some windows open over the last few days lol! I have to wait to try it out as all the kids are ill and watching netflix! Thanks to you and all for your replies.

- - - Updated - - -
      Last edited by loneranger; 02-02-13 at 04:09 PM. Reason: saved twice, same reply.

jrfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rushden
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I have not tried it but is it not possible to set up all the ADSL settings on the Netgear then change the mode to Modem only. After that plug one of its ethernet ports into the WAN port of the Asus. Set the ASUS to use PPPoE, without login and see how it goes.

The alternate is to set the DG up as a normal modem/router and put the Asus into its DMZ. Turn off DHCP and wireless in the DG to prevent conflicts. If you have a look at this thread it will give you an idea what must be done. The procedure will apply to your Asus.-
      Using the DLink DIR613.

Admittedly this is not true 'modem only' mode, but it is as near as you will get if you can't get modem only to work.
      What he said.

I did this when there was no method to get the skyuser/pass from the sr-101 hub. It works so well I just can't be asked to change it even though their is now a relatively easy way to discover the user/pass.