Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Started Sky unlimited today, testing period?

This is a discussion on Started Sky unlimited today, testing period? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My activation date was today, my old broadband died I connected the sky hub and it nicely activated straight away. ...

Techn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

My activation date was today, my old broadband died I connected the sky hub and it nicely activated straight away.

My download is currently listed as 4 meg although i'm expecting atleast double figures here. previous orange was 7meg but they never upgraded my line. I assume my line is now being tested by sky, how long will this last and when do you normally start seeing improvements? It's dropped off a few times already but I was expecting that.

Also, is there anything I should be doing to excourage a faster connection while they test, like streaming lots of data or playing online games? Theres five of us in the house and a couple gamers so it should get heavy use anyway.

Here's some stats.
      Line attenuation - 23.5
      Noise margin - 15.3
      Distance from exchange - 863 meters

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Started Sky unlimited today, testing period?

The DLM software will be collecting figures now and typically after around the 3rd day it will start re-profiling the line.

Using the tool available on this site, your estimated connection speed looks to be 16-24mb, but based on experience I would guess around 17-19mb.

SkyUser - Potential ADSL2 Line Speed Checker & Calculator

It actually helps to see the full connection stats though. Sometimes people are initially connected with ADSL rather than ADSL2+ settings. If this is the case then the Line Attenuation will be lower at the moment than when it gets changed to ADSL2+. Typically you can add 2 or 3 to the Line Attenuation figure.

Don't worry about what you do on the connection. Just use it as normal in the mean time. Please refrain from frequently power-cycling the Sky Hub though. This will be interpreted as a line fault. DLM normally re-profiles the lines between 1 am and 6 am. This is most often actioned between 2 am and 4 am.

If you haven't already done so, please do consider fitting a filtered faceplate. The best one of choice currently is the VDSL faceplate.

BT VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate - VDSL I Plate

I would also suggest that you monitor when people are streaming heavy data as the gamers will moan that they can't get the best ping speeds.

If you have someone downloading lots of torrents, I would also suggest setting up a separate PC and restrict it's speed when people are playing games. Also restrict the upload speed to around 2/3rds of your max connection speed the rest of the time.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Techn (30-01-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again scubbie.

I've seen the gamer profile mentioned a couple times on these boards, don't think that will effect us that much though, we're not heavy gamers. Also ping seems to be similar to what it was before.

Our main phone socket actually has a built in splitter face plate so not sure if a prefiltered one would work

sky go seemed to work well. I tend to stream a lot of sports the extra speed would be welcomed. I look forward to seeing what I'm reprofiled as.

Thanks

The revision to the DLM software has been very effective and IMHO the Gamer's profile isn't needed as often now. Essentially it lowered the pings but could damaged the connection speeds. The people at Sky won't place you on this profile anyway until the initial DLM process has completed.

If you socket looks like one of these:

...then you have an NTE5 Master Socket. The picture above shows the faceplate removed.

You should be using a microfilter on every telephone socket if this is your current set up.

The suggested filtered faceplate fits between this faceplate and the Test Socket on the NTE5 socket. Any extensions are then filtered as well and no longer require the microfilters.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

LeeH1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barrow Upon Humber
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Would it be worth upgrading even if I have no extensions? I have my router plugged into the test socket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeeH1978 View Post
      Would it be worth upgrading even if I have no extensions? I have my router plugged into the test socket.

In a word no. If you have no extensions, apart from cosmetics, there is no point in fitting a filtered plate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

There may be a small improvement, but in practise I wouldn't recommend the use of the Test Socket on a long term basis. It is possible to damage the contacts and this would mean that you would be without broadband until the whole socket was replaced.

Filtered faceplates are better than most micro-filters. The VDSL filtered faceplate is the best of them and is what is supplied by BTO for Fibre connections.

Dave from run-IT-direct contributes to many of the threads on this forum. He has commented on several occasions that the VDSL plate has been used his customers have confirmed that they can now connect at better speeds than previously.

Edit: Ok Tom and I disagree

LeeH1978 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Barrow Upon Humber
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

I shall give it a try for a rennet then. Thanks.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There may be a small improvement, but in practise I wouldn't recommend the use of the Test Socket on a long term basis.
      I agree, but unless the faceplate is faulty, without extensions, there should be no difference between it and the Test socket. eg, There is no need to use the Test socket on a permanent basis.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

my main socket has two phone input into it and was fitted by a friend over the road who works for BT so god knows whats in it lol. its always been alright though.

as for microfilters, i'm slowly building up cupboards full of them, plenty to go around

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast