Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem with my speed on Sky unlimited. Need Help

This is a discussion on Problem with my speed on Sky unlimited. Need Help within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I need some help. Yesterday and today I have had problems with my broadband where the speed was ...

a_c_harris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Problem with my speed on Sky unlimited. Need Help

Hi all I need some help. Yesterday and today I have had problems with my broadband where the speed was dropping so much that if I used a VOIP in game on the PC I would get the sound breaking up and stuttering and downloads were only hitting something stupid like 30 - 100 kb/s and sometimes dropping to 0, terminating the download. Master socket connected, ethernet cable running setup.

I was synced like always at 7235 (or something like that), so I reset and it was slightly lower and still I had the problem. I phoned sky this morning and the guy was good line check and no problems and we swapped the micro filter and he re-checked the line and sync it at 7535 or something like that, even though I tried the micro filter before ringing. But this made the speed worse like as the web pages werent always loading and the same issue of speed again like before.

So I phoned again and we reset the router, ran a line test etc and still no showing no faults or errors. I am phoning again tomorrow and see if they can like deeper, but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as the speedtest shows the speed in the image below, and also my basic router stats below, it is a netgear V2 black one.

Problem with my speed on Sky unlimited.  Need Help-router-stats.jpg
      Problem with my speed on Sky unlimited.  Need Help-speedtest.jpg

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Problem with my speed on Sky unlimited. Need Help

Just to add further information, I did the speed test on here and I got between 5.3 and 6.3 mb/s and on the BT wholesale speedtest site I get a consistent 6.11 to 6.23 mb/s. But if I try to download the full AVG 2013 offline installer from AVG themselves or a custom map for left4dead or any other site I use which up until yesterday would download at always 760 - 810 kb/s, now I get anything between 50 Kb/s and 300 Kb/s but with a sync speed of 7016.

The file download starts at maybe 700 kb/s and then with in a few seconds it rapidly drops to 250 - 300 kb/s or it only hits 300 kb/s and drops to 70 or 100 kb/s which it has never done before. The guy said that my line reading back as a maximum of 8.2 mb/s and that he would set it at 7537 and put DLM on the line, but this made the internet unusable.

But when I phoned back the woman I spoke too could not see any errors on the line to indicate that there was a issue, so I am assuming that the fault is down in the exchange or something if the line aint got no errors, so I am hoping I can get the fault esculated.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Do you have a master socket with split faceplate? If so remove lower half and plug phone into test socket. Do a quiet line test. Dial 1 and listen to phone. Is there any crackling or other noise which could indicate a possible line fault? Plug router via microfilter directly into test socket and with just pc connected ensure no torrents or other bandwidth consuming programmes running and perform another speed test. Any improvement?

Thanks

Hey thanks for that, I did that with the guy on the phone and he ran a line test and all was fine. I dont have a test socket, my faceplate is plug directly into the socket. I tried all devices off other than my main PC and all the same. Thanks for the help though.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

There is something you should note about the speedtest you posted. The result is given as Kilobytes per second, which is correct according to your sync speed. 6.1 to 6.23 mbps is also correct, note that this is megabits per second. Many get confused with bits and Bytes, the first is always shown with a lower case 'b' and the second with an upper case 'B'. So there is little wrong with your sync speed versus download speed.

Speeds from different sites vary, one may allow you to download at full speed where others will restrict your speed. It can even depend on the time of day you do the download. I find that Microsoft give a consistently high speed, download something from there and it should give you a true reflection.

There is also a chance that your exchange is suffering throughput problems, put your post code in here and check if your exchange is effected -
      Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation I am quite aware of the working of how sites vary from time to time and download speed varies depending as I am a PC technician, which is why im confused as how I can get that on the speedtest, which eqates to around 790 kbs, but my actual download kbs is actually only around 200 - 300 kbs, but now which I would assume is around 3 Mbs so the speedtest and actual result dont tally up.

even if I use microsoft and 8 other sites I use regualarly which has given me regular daily speeds of 760 - 790 kbs I am only getting half that on thruput. I checked the link above and there is no issues with thruput.

I have made some progress I think, I used my old white netgear router which I kept as a backup when I had issues a few years ago and I am now getting more stable speeds, but I assume still a little low as the line is not configured for this router. I am going to what the process is with regards to a faulty router and see what sky can do. Thanks again for the explanation.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What speed do yu get on this site - Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi, that one I only get between 5.3 and 5.5 mb/s. The BT wholesale one is 6.01 - 6.4 mb/s. Thanks.