Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Worth changing from BT to SKY Connect?

This is a discussion on Worth changing from BT to SKY Connect? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I would appreciate your advice: Like many people I registered for SKY Broadband as soon as it was announced. I ...

Bingo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01383
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Worth changing from BT to SKY Connect?

I would appreciate your advice: Like many people I registered for SKY Broadband as soon as it was announced. I have had several emails from SKY inviting me to purchase their new service, they last one stating that I could now buy SKY Braodband and quoting a reference number. When I called, expecting to hear that Base/Mid/Max had now reached my exchange (located in Fife, Scotland) I was told that I could only buy the Connect service now, that it would cost me 40 to activate (yet the better Max package that I wish has no charge!) and that they could not advise when the new Braodband service would actually be available. SO - - do i jump in and buy Connect now (alot cheaper than the 27 I have been giving to BT for long and weary) or wait until the new service becomes available? Could not see any threads on the forum re: Connect specifically. Is it any good? Obviously concerned about the number of problems people have encountered with SKY in general. Should I sit tight at present with BT (expensive but reliable)? Please help!!
      Last edited by Bingo; 16-10-06 at 10:24 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      To be perfectly honest, The Connect is provided through BT on its MAXDSL Service! You better of sticking with BT Until Sky's LLU service is available!

Changing to Sky Connect wont make alot of speed difference!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      although it may or not save you money, bear in mind 40.00 connection and then 17.00 per mth so your exchange would have to be ages away from being unbundled to save anything.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Even with the connection fee of 40 I am still saving with Sky Connect compared to what I was paying BT. I am saving 90 over the next 12 months which for me was one of the main reasons for moving as I was getting fed up paying BT a penny short of 30 a month for their service when I did not use a lot of their 'features'.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I suppose you could go on connect and then they will notify when you can get there services, and then allready have the modem and stuff so less waiting!
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 16-10-06 at 11:46 PM. Reason: removed quoted preceeding post ;-)

kkhalil76 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Before signing up in order to save some money (which was my original intention), you should scroll through this forum and read some of the posts to see what problems you may encounter with Sky. I would say it's not worth switching to Sky in case you end up in the same situation as many people on this forum, with no internet and no clue when we're going to get online. I'd gladly go back to paying the 23/month with orange.

Gaztops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Wanadoo/Orange
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Sky Broadband isn't available my area, so it doesn't make sense for me to go with the Connect package for 17 a month as I'm already paying 17.99 a month for up to 8 Mb with free evening and weekend calls to UK landlines.

Why move to another service and gamble with whether you are going to have problems or not. I have a rock solid connection and a router that has never dropped a connection since the day it was installed. Also I don't need to tweak anything, buy ADSL face plates, remove the ring wire, reboot routers and suffer speed loss at peak times.

Just Cause is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I made the same move. My opinion, in one word....NO.

Bingo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01383
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for all of your help - much appreciated. I think I will sit tight and wait until SKY Max hits my exchange (presume this will be by next summer latest?).