Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unstable ping

This is a discussion on Unstable ping within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Explain me this... My downstream speed is lower on the master socket but 500 better on the extension socket upstairs.... ...

igniswolf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Unstable ping

Explain me this...
      My downstream speed is lower on the master socket but 500 better on the extension socket upstairs.... Is it me or does that seem bum around face?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Are you in the Test socket as opposed to the Master socket?
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Connect is a pig in that if it sees too many disconnections it will immediately reduce your sync speed and it can take a few days to get backup to your original speed. This will usually show as an increase in your noise margin.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by igniswolf View Post
      Explain me this...
      My downstream speed is lower on the master socket but 500 better on the extension socket upstairs.... Is it me or does that seem bum around face?
      Could be something funny going on there with the wiring, if you have a modern NTE5 type socket then it's worth trying the test socket.

File:Testsocket2.jpg - BE Usergroup Technotes

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post

Connect is a pig in that if it sees too many disconnections it will immediately reduce your sync speed and it can take a few days to get backup to your original speed. This will usually show as an increase in your noise margin.
      ah... so reseting the rooter once a night for the past 3 days was probably not a good idea?

The main issue is that the ping isnt stable at all it just cont jumps from 60 ishs to 130 ish over and over again. Would the reduced sync speed cause this?

Thanks again

Thanks

Would the reduced sync speed cause this?
      I would think it would be the other way round really, the lower and more stable your speed is, the better the ping should be. Connect is very poor for gaming, you would be better looking for anther ISP who sells a gaming product. I believe Plusnet do something like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Connect is a pig. - There corrected that for you

I would think it would be the other way round really, the lower and more stable your speed is, the better the ping should be. Connect is very poor for gaming, you would be better looking for anther ISP who sells a gaming product. I believe Plusnet do something like this.
      Doesn't even need a gaming ISP just one that isn't congested at peak time every day

A few connect likes f8lure is monitoring.
      Note: The graphs should be "live" so will show the current day

Skys LLU service is pretty decent in most places but Connect is terrible I wouldn't have it even if they paid me to use it

Thanks

I wouldn't have it even if they paid me to use it
      I had it over 5 years ago while waiting for my exchange to be enabled, but in those days it was a different product, Sky had not oversubscribed exchanges so it was as good as any ISP. It only cost me 5 a month too. Now I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

I had it over 5 years ago while waiting for my exchange to be enabled, but in those days it was a different product, Sky had not oversubscribed exchanges so it was as good as any ISP. It only cost me 5 a month too. Now I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Connect works a bit differently to LLU, BT wholesale will route the data to a Handover point which is either central or reigonal, The links into BT are anything but cheap so it's probable Sky do not have enough capacity on these links.

https://www.btwholesale.com/shared/d...010313_v1.xlsx

If I'm reading it rightly it's 40 per Mbit/s per month in usage charges from BT not including the cost of the links themselves!

Still I suppose compared to the old 20CN 622Mbit/s centrals it's a lot more reasonable, the Old 622Mbit/s centrals used to cost 1.5Million per year I think.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...y/bb/model.pdf

Exchange:
      Thanks

nice very interesting...

My exchange kinda sucks as its not being upgraded for about just under a year yet.

21CN WBC status: RFS date set : 30/09/2013

The main bit that is annoying me is that its only the past few months that ive had real trouble with it, I mean yes the speeds always sucked but at least my ping didnt look like a table tennis game.

Also theres no LLU providers so my only option would be BT correct?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unstable ping

Any ISP that uses BT wholesale should be able to supply you (Any ISP that isn't using their own LLU network basically)

As long as its not BTW's link out of the exchange that's the problem (doubt it is) then changing ISPs should help but research carefully before switching.

Xilo have been pretty decent on Be LLU don't know what their BTW based service is like though...

Getting uncapped on a BTWholesale based ISP will be difficult due to the BT bandwidth costs most providers will rite have a monthly usage limit or traffic manage at peak time (sometimes both)

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast