Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky Broadband Unlimted - being slowed down

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband Unlimted - being slowed down within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Broadband package: Sky Unlimited Normal Speed: 2mb/s Max Current throttled speed: 20kb/s Average usage per day: A little What does ...

TrueBlueBlake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Broadband Unlimted - being slowed down

Broadband package: Sky Unlimited
      Normal Speed: 2mb/s Max
      Current throttled speed: 20kb/s
      Average usage per day: A little
      What does this throttling affect? Browsing / Gaming / Updating / everything to do with the internet

Hello sky
      I didn't know who else to go and why this is happening but its abosolutly ridiculous. We have payed for Sky Unlimited not missed one payment
      and has always been on time or early to reach you, we use the internet for general downloading and sending files across due to my work as i do a lot of
      it from home. Sky has always been good to me since last week i have been shocked by the service and the things other people have been going through.
      Every time past 5pm till Midnight when am half a sleep and the peak time of my work sky thought it was a good idea to knock down my already low speed of
      2mb/s to just under 20KB a SECOND! this is beyond what i thought company's would lower them self too. Limiting other user's to benifit others nothing like
      picking out the hard working and good customers over somebody else.

You are individually separating people to let others pay more. I have been a happy well paying customer to sky
      every month without missing a payment and i get repaid by getting my Unlimited broadband limited to 20KB/s? this is truly not a good way to treat customers and i
      am very likely to change from yourselves if i don't see an improvement, i can't loose my job due lack of work because of a company that separates there customers from one an other
      and treat others better than good customers, if it doesn't get improved am going to have to change as i am loosing out on work that needs to be done ASAP. Thankyou for the service and the
      chance to get my word over.
      Blake
      Last edited by Scubbie; 22-01-13 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Removed quoting about Connect

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,140 Times in 2,017 Posts

Re: Sky Broadband Unlimted - being slowed down

Welcome to the forum.

Just a quick note for clarity: We are not Sky. We are Sky customers and some current or ex-Sky employees. No one here represents Sky Officially, with the exception of a couple of User IDs which are used by Sky's Staff and these are obvious.

To start the ball rolling though, could you please post your router's connection stats please?

How to get your Sky Router statistics

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

AndyN17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hello. I posted a similar question as never get more than 3 meg on an unlimited package. Takes ages to download films and streaming really sucks. I have not got router in main phone template as it is at other end of the room. I cannot believe when I see the forum reply lady quoting 17 meg ? Dream on. Moved router off the floor which improved signal around the house. Still not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Welcome to the forum.

Just a quick note for clarity: We are not Sky. We are Sky customers and some current or ex-Sky employees. No one here represents Sky Officially, with the exception of a couple of User IDs which are used by Sky's Staff and these are obvious.

To start the ball rolling though, could you please post your router's connection stats please?

How to get your Sky Router statistics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyN17 View Post
      Hello. I posted a similar question as never get more than 3 meg on an unlimited package. Takes ages to download films and streaming really sucks. I have not got router in main phone template as it is at other end of the room. I cannot believe when I see the forum reply lady quoting 17 meg ? Dream on. Moved router off the floor which improved signal around the house. Still not impressed.
      Rather than hijack a thread, could I ask that you start a new thread please? Do post your router's connection stats in the first post too please.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Poppet25 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

Nothing is throttled on Sky Unlimited broadband. It could be various things,

eg: your exchange is over capacity, your wireless is on the same channel as lots of other people...

If you are on the Connect package, it's no fault of Sky's, that goes thru BT because Sky have not got their equipment in your exchange. You should have checked that out before you signed up...

If you are working from home it's against Sky's T&C's... Sky's broadband is only meant for residential customers not people working from home.

Thanks

I have been asked to feed back any information regarding those who may have been affected by this but whose exchanges are not on the current list. Please double check that you exchange hasn't been added first please as the list has been updated in the app on the Sky site (Link below).

Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

I am looking to show confirmed drops in speed during specific times of day (i.e. when the backhaul is busy), and normal speeds before and after.

I will also need to know your telephone Exchanges code. Please refer to the website SamKnows for this (Link below) if you do not already know.

SamKnows - Telephone Exchange Search

Thank you.

ToeKnee is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Andover
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Q
      Thanks

For the last few years I have been getting about 8.9Mb/s down in the evening. Over the last few weeks I have typically been getting 2 Mb/s or less.

My exchange Andover (STANDVR) is not on Sky's list.

Thanks

Thank you ToeKnee. Can you please confirm what your connection stats are and also what speeds you are getting before the problem occurs please (i.e. if the speed slows down at 5pm, what is it at 4pm and later when it returns to normal).

G3WYP is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01274
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Unlimited ADSL
      Router: Thomson TG582N
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie

I hope I am not jumping in where I should not but I am interested in reading the above messages,
      I am on Cleckheaton (MYCLE) Exchange and according to Sky's exchange checker there is no problem.

I complained to Sky that my speeds were dropping, for a considerable time we have been getting around 8 Mb/s download and 0.8Mb/s upload but over the last month or so it has dropped to 2.58 Mb/s download and 0.607 Mb/s upload using Skyusers checker.
      Sky suggested it was the router as we also had a distance problem with WiFi, they sent a 2504n which has worked with the WiFi but speeds are still the same.

I have just done a check at 11:00 and it is as above.

My router stats are:

Router Statistics

System Up Time: 335:04:15

Port

Status

TxPkts

RxPkts

Collisions

Tx B/s

Rx B/s

Up Time

WAN

PPPoA

335:03:18

LAN

Up

335:04:15

WLAN

Up

334:56:34

ADSL Link

Downstream

Upstream

Connection Speed

8188 kbps

796 kbps

Line Attenuation

37.0 dB

22.2 dB

Noise Margin

4.6 dB

16.0 dB

Sorry if this is not in the right format but it is the best I can do.

Any advise would be appreciated

Thanks

Thank you G3WYP.

For future ref. if you click the A/A button it changes the post to WYSIWYG mode and the stats would have been posted more clearly.

Can you confirm what the results you are getting from a speed tester say at this time of the day please? One of the best ways to show this would be to have speed tests at a variety of times (i.e. on the hours every hour, or there abouts).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast