Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Like Tree10Likes

Firmware 6.14.2a4N_UNI causing ADSL drop outs?

This is a discussion on Firmware 6.14.2a4N_UNI causing ADSL drop outs? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Secondly, getting back to this issue, could you please confirm whether you are using the WiFi ...

Scarl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanelli
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Firmware 6.14.2a4N_UNI causing ADSL drop outs?

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Secondly, getting back to this issue, could you please confirm whether you are using the WiFi connection when the disconnections happen. This can then be picked up and fed back to the development team, along with whether you were connecting via MER or PPPoA with the new firmware.

As you can gather from this post, this issue has reached the ears of the development team and I am sure that they are sorry for the problems it has caused. If you could post the information requested, then it will be fed back to them.
      Hi Scubbie,

Good to hear the development team are on the case - this explanation is much clearer than what I've read from the Community Coordinators on the official Sky forums, so thank you

My router has connected via MER on both the old and new firmware. As far as connections go, my router has a good mixture of wired and wireless connections, which are regularly in use from around 3pm onwards daily. The wireless devices are a mixture of G and N devices and all have been in use on both the old and new firmware. The disconnections on the new firmware however only occurred during the evening hours and not at any other time when the same wireless devices were in use.
      Last edited by Scarl; 29-01-13 at 11:28 PM.

2. Advertisement
      rubberband is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

A quick update to my post earlier. I rolled back the firmware 24hrs ago (2300 monday) and as I noted it dropped out at 0400. Since then it's been perfect. This evening it's not dropped once. Yesterday evening, (and every evening for the past 2 weeks or so), I would get 4/5 drop outs.

So, I guess it's logical to presume that the v6 firmware is the cause? I don't understand why wifi is still being mentioned as a possible cause? When I got the error page my devices were still connected by wifi to the router so I don't understand how that could be an issue? I have a windows PC *wired* to the router & 2 iPads & 1 Android phone and they've *all* got the 'unable to dectect a broadband connection' error page.

If it helps I'm on PPPoA on both firmwares, VCI (now on v5) is 38, BB unlimited.

Thanks to everyone who's contributing to solve this issue.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Do you know if sky have, or are likely to halt the rollout of this new firmware?
      This I don't know at the moment. I don't know the figures relating to the percentage of those affected or not. This would have a bearing on that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarl View Post
      Good to hear the development team are on the case - this explanation is much clearer than what I've read from the Community Coordinators on the official Sky forums, so thank you
      No problem. This is what we are here for and I did have to get the Ok to post the information first.

The Community Coordinators are restricted sometimes as to how they can word things. This isn't there fault but more of a responsibility towards the company and how what they say can be misread at times.

Quote Originally Posted by rubberband View Post
      So, I guess it's logical to presume that the v6 firmware is the cause? I don't understand why wifi is still being mentioned as a possible cause? When I got the error page my devices were still connected by wifi to the router so I don't understand how that could be an issue? I have a windows PC *wired* to the router & 2 iPads & 1 Android phone and they've *all* got the 'unable to dectect a broadband connection' error page.
      Whilst the current evidence is pointing toward an issue with the firmware, I cannot say what the cause is. The link with the WiFi may be a red herring. It was something which I have been asked to ask about, just in case. It should not be seen as an admission that this is the cause.

Until the evidence has been collected and reviewed by the development team I would guess that they won't be 100% certain either.

Thanks to everyone who's contributing to solve this issue.
      Ditto this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

TerryC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Scubbie thanks for your feedback.

Is it worth someone with both ethernet and wifi connected devices switching off wifi overnight (on the router) and see if that makes any difference? Wifi devices will be always be communicating with the router even if not actually being used. It might prove if there is some form of interference, for want of a better word, between the Wifi and ADSL elements of the firmware.

Just a thought (only just!)

Thanks

BY all means if some of you could do this if you still have the new version installed, it may be useful.

I have provided a link to this thread to someone at Sky, so they can find all your comments quickly. Things are happening now as a result of what you have all found so far.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Scubbie,

I've noticed this mainly when using wifi. I have had the odd dropout via a wired connection (Xbox to router via homeplugs). Most of my devices, though are connected via wifi.

My connection type is MER.
      Scubbie likes this.

rubberband is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

well, it's now 48hrs since i rolled back the firmware from v6 to v5 and everything is as it was / should be.

anyone have any info on whether sky have stopped pushing out the new firmware / how to block it from reinstalling?

Firmware 6.14.2a4N_UNI causing ADSL drop outs?-router.jpg

Thanks

anyone have any info on whether sky have stopped pushing out the new firmware / how to block it from reinstalling?
      At present all I can suggest is to watch out for the update. Should it occur again simply roll back to the old version again.

PyroFoxx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01326
      Thanks

Hey all, just been reading through all the posts. After being told I'd be contacted back by Sky, they didn't. SO now I'm running this custm firmware. It's great, hopefully no more Wifi/ADSL dropouts!

Thanks all!

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PyroFoxx View Post
      Hey all, just been reading through all the posts. After being told I'd be contacted back by Sky, they didn't. SO now I'm running this custm firmware. It's great, hopefully no more Wifi/ADSL dropouts!

Thanks all!
      Is this the custom version of v5.x you are using?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast