Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Like Tree10Likes

Firmware 6.14.2a4N_UNI causing ADSL drop outs?

This is a discussion on Firmware 6.14.2a4N_UNI causing ADSL drop outs? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sorry to buck the trend, but I'm kinda' the opposite here. Normal I have a very stable connection here and ...

James_Mitchell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCEAR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Firmware 6.14.2a4N_UNI causing ADSL drop outs?

Sorry to buck the trend, but I'm kinda' the opposite here.

Normal I have a very stable connection here and I could go 1000+hours without a re-sync. Whilst still on the old firmware, a couple of weeks ago I noticed I was re-syncing every 24hrs or so. The max I would stay synced was around 48hrs. I replaced my ADSL filter which didn't really make much difference.

I noticed that over the weekend my Sky router had upgraded itself to 6.14.2a4N_UNI. So far, touch wood, since then, my connection seems more stable again. So far it's been connected 90 hours, which was much longer than the previous few weeks.

I'll see how things go here but so far all is good for me with 6.14.2a4N_UNI

These are my current line stats:

WAN PPPoA 18019508 17954074 0 0 1706204 90:12:38
      LAN Up 3762056 2637289 0 898 3456 90:14:11
      WLAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 0:00:00
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 19504 kbps 1150 kbps
      Line Attenuation 10.0 dB 7.1 dB
      Noise Margin 7.3 dB 8.8 dB

2. Advertisement
      ukdarrenfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

I'm having the same problem. Had a stable connection for nearly a year now and in the last week or so have noticed intermittent drop outs. Until this my speed was over 8mbps and now it's dropped to just over 2mbps!

niso is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208969
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Hi
      I have reverted to the old firmware and found that my connection now works without the 10+ drop outs per evening that it was suffering.

Now as a method of testing I want to check if I upgrade to the newer version it will revert back to the problem but cant see where to download the current firmware.

Might somebody point me in the right direction and brief directions for flashing?

thanks in advance
      niso

5. The Following User Says Thank You to niso For This Useful Post:

rubberband (29-01-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Welcome to the forum niso.

You'll find what you want in this thread: Custom Firmware for Sagemcom 2504N (Based on Sky 6.14.2a4N_UNI)

(both the custom and original firmwares are there)

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

niso is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208969
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Hi

Can anyone with the Router Keeps Disconnecting issue please report what the VCI setting is - it likely to be 38 or 40

Scarl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanelli
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mattan View Post
      Been away for a few days and it's interesting to see how many posts there have been on the two forums. For those that have successfully rolled back the firmware, has it stopped the disconnections?
      I can only speak from my perspective mattan, but certainly for me, using the recovery tool and rolling back the firmware has certainly stopped the constant evening disconnections - since doing this 4 days ago, I have not experienced any of the symtpoms I had on the new firmware.

I can only hope that Sky come up with some sort of permanent fix before my router decides to update itself again.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by niso View Post
      Can anyone with the Router Keeps Disconnecting issue please report what the VCI setting is - it likely to be 38 or 40
      This would be more easily described as connecting with either PPPoA or MER, which many members will be more familiar with.

PPPoA = VCI 38
      MER = VCI 40

Background info: niso found that on one version he/she was on MER and on the other PPPoA and wants to see if there is a link to this.

If you log onto your router's GUI and click on the Maintenance tab you will see whether you are on PPPoA or MER.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

ukdarrenfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm on PPPoA.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      This would be more easily described as connecting with either PPPoA or MER, which many members will be more familiar with.

PPPoA = VCI 38
      MER = VCI 40

Background info: niso found that on one version he/she was on MER and on the other PPPoA and wants to see if there is a link to this.

If you log onto your router's GUI and click on the Maintenance tab you will see whether you are on PPPoA or MER.

Scarl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanelli
      Thanks

I'm not sure if you are only looking for information for just those who are still experiencing disconenction issues or also from those who have already rolled back their firmware niso, but thought I'd quickly post with mine if you need some info from people who have rolled back already. Basically on both firmwares, my connection method is MER and the VCI setting is 40.

rubberband is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I moved to Sky BB 13 months ago and I must say the service has been great up until now, as I'm also suffering from this issue. Up until 2/3 weeks ago I would never notice any drop in connection and if I checked the stats it would usually show an uptime of a month or so. It was pretty much perfect as far as I was concerned.

Then, without any changes my end, I suddenly started getting the 'failed to dectect a broadband connection' error screen. A first I thought nothing of it but then it became a regular (and very annoying) thing -obviously it ruins streaming radio/spotify/on demand if it can't hold a connection.

Called Sky and initial support was hopeless. Change filters/test socket/change wifi channel and so on, even though I made it clear that the connection between my computers and router was rock-solid. 2nd line support were better and did a line test with no problems and basically said they could see the drop outs from their end, but could not explain them and so would run DLM. DLM finished with no improvement.

Very angry about Sky not even acknowledging this problem. I'm not a speed demon and particularly fussed about speed. But I am concerned with having a stable connection and so this is a major issue for me and other people. It's either a problem with the new firmware or Sky have fiddled about with something their end at the same time as the new firmware was pushed out?

Anyway thanks to Niso for their work on this issue and his/her instructions on how to roll back to the v5 firmware which I did last night. I had a drop out at 0400 this morning but stable since. The real test will be whether it holds the connection this evening!

With regard to identifying the problem is there anybody out there running the v6 firmware with no problems?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast