Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VPN Dropping DSL Connection?

This is a discussion on VPN Dropping DSL Connection? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Weird one this. I've been using my work VPN without issue since I got Sky broadband in September. It's ...

mattan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSSWN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

VPN Dropping DSL Connection?

Hi,

Weird one this. I've been using my work VPN without issue since I got Sky broadband in September. It's a bog standard L2TP VPN connection. Now, this is either a massive co-incidence, but each time I've connected to the VPN after a short time < 10 minutes, I lose my DSL connection. It seems to come straight back after a minute or so, but this has only started happening in the last couple of weeks.

Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: VPN Dropping DSL Connection?

Could you confirm which firmware you have on your router please? A new version was recently released for your router and may or may not help.

Also do you know the details of the VPN system which your firm is using?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Hi Scubbie. Thanks for the reply. Firmware version is: 6.14.2a4N_UNI. This must have changed over the last few weeks or so as I'm sure it wasn't this version originally.

Not sure on the VPN. I think it's checkpoint, but no other details than that I'm afraid.

Thanks

Ouch. This is the latest version of firmware for your router.

You could raise this over on the official Sky forum but I would suggest that you get some information on the VPN software (i.e. version number) first to give them some specific information.

If you don't get a suitably helpful response, please let me know and I can raise it higher up for you.

Just so that you don't get an automated negative response, it is in Sky's T&Cs that the broadband isn't for business use. However you will need to show that you aren't working from home on a permanent basis, but doing a few short things whilst away from the office, or something like this.

I would also discuss the issue with you IT department at work to see if there is anything which they can suggest.

If Sky can't help, there are some alternative options which don't require you to change your ISP. I am thinking that if Sky can't fix this, you may wish to consider using a non-Sky router, something which is against Sky's T&Cs (so don't discuss this on their forum) but which they tend to turn a blind eye to.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

mattan (20-01-13)

Thanks

Thanks, I'll do this. I've also noticed that the connection has dropped a few times without me using the VPN (from the WAN uptime) and also when browsing using my phone, so wondering whether the VPN is just a co-incidence or exacerbates the problem. Do you know when the firmware was released?

Looking a bit more, I think that the VPN is set up via the networking section in Windows XP. It looks as though it's just using the windows client for the VPN, but I can find out for sure.

I'd happily use another router, but I'm on MER and I thought that prevented me from using an alternative?

I don't work from home very often - noticed mainly on Friday when I was snowed in!

Thanks

If you connection is dropping at other times, then the issue is unlikely to be related to VPN. It may therefore be worthwhile going through all the standard things to ensure that your connection is not at fault.

To start with, is your router connected to a filtered faceplate or a microfilter? Do you have any extensions and is the router on one of them?

As for the router, this is a mixed issue. For a start not all the connections are fixed on MER. Some support both PPPoA and MER but the Sky router will go to MER if it is available. Alternatively the Billion 7800N has a firmware from Billion which supports Sky's implementation of MER.

Regarding Sky's T&Cs, I would think that they are badly worded. Sky's broadband is aimed at the domestic market and as such doesn't offer the compensation levels for disruption to the service that a business would require. A lot of people do work from home and take advantage of Sky's cheaper costs. This would be mostly the self-employed people.

What they fail to take into account, IMHO, is that a huge number of people do use a company Laptop at home on a temporary basis. Their Internet is primarily for pleasure, but will be used, like yourself, to occasionally connect to work for the odd job.

Thanks

I'll go through the standard stuff later. I'm connected at the master socket using a new (3 months old) vDSL filtered faceplate. I suppose this could be faulty, so will try in the test socket with a microfilter and see if I get any disconnections. Oddly, this morning I've had no drop outs and have been on VPN all the time.

As this started a few week's ago, I'm thinking it could either be the firmware or something in the connection from the exchange to the house. Plugging in to the test socket will at least rule out the faceplate.

Thanks

Apologies for the delayed replay, busy at home again .

Please do see if using the Test Socket helps, but in fairness this is unlikely. I don't know about the failure rates for the new VDSL filtered faceplate, but perhaps Dave from run-IT-direct would know better.

Could you also check the line please? Firstly, using a corded phone, dial '1' and listen for any noise, particularly any clicking. There may be some light hissing noise, but ideally you shouldn't hear any high pitched noise like a fax machine or loud hissing.

Thanks

Line is nice an quiet!

I've just noticed another post by TerryC that seems to be the same problem.

Thanks

I have just read the thread. There is a danger that similar problems could be misread, which is why I've asked you to look at your line first.

One potential issue is with overhead lines. A tree or something can brush against the line, particularly when it is windy. Over time this can break the copper wire/s inside the cable. This can make itself known by crackling on the telephone, particularly when the wind is blowing and can also cause the ADSL connection to drop temporarily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast