Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extremely slow internet speed

This is a discussion on Extremely slow internet speed within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, Im not big on tech so could anyone advise, in simple terms if it is possible to have two ...

Natsg93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Extremely slow internet speed

Hi, Im not big on tech so could anyone advise, in simple terms if it is possible to have two broadband services to one house? I am on sky unlimited but as I live so far from the exchange the speed is so slow at only 2GB with two teenagers this is just not enough and there are constant arguments over who is going to use it. I thought I may have a second line installed and pay twice for broadband so at least that way there will be twice the capacity. I cant seem to find an answer on if this is possible and how much it would cost to set this up. Im quite happy to pay additional line rental and internet but dont know if sky will provide a line and if this is in fact possible. My other alternative is to keep sky broadband and have BT broadband (I note a new line normally costs 120 but is free if you take their internet?) but again not sure if its possible to have two service providers and if the routers would interfer with each other. There is no cable available in my area which would have been my first choice! Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Extremely slow internet speed

Have you checked if Sky Fibre Broadband is available on your existing telephone line? If available it would be an easier way to increase BB speed and cheaper than a second line.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Natsg93 (13-01-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Entirely agree with seawright on this as a first resort. Use the link below to see what the BT Infinity site suggest you could get and when. If Fibre is available, feel free to shop around for the best package. Sky has two Fibre based products at the moment: SFU (up to 40GB download, 10GB upload) and SFUP (up to 80GB download, 20GB upload).

Superfast Broadband – Get Fibre Optic Broadband with BT Infinity

(Click the "Can I get Infinity" link and use the option for non-BT line)

If Fibre is not available, then you most certainly can have a second line installed. However you can't have 2 Sky lines, so one will have to be from another provider.

From what I understand too, when you want to order a 2nd line, you will be safer ordering it over the telephone, not on-line. This way you can make it clear that it is a 2nd line and not to replace your existing line. Can I also remind you, in case you have Sky Multi-room, that all the STBs need to be connected to the same telephone line.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Natsg93 (13-01-13)

Natsg93 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I have already checked for fibre broadband and its not available, probably until mid 2014. I was also looking at dongles but it seems there arent any offers of unlimited. Looks like I will have to go to BT and ask for an additional line! I presume this wont affect my current router and If I keep everything set up as is with my Sky box I take it this wont be a problem - the Bt line would purely be for internet access...I dont ever use my Sky phone line either, its just for internet/sky box!!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Such a shame about the Fibre option. I'm still waiting where I live, but hopefully it will be sooner than 2014.

If you aren't keen on going to BT, other firms will be able to supply a 2nd line. It isn't something which I have looked into so you may need to shop around.

If it is possible, VM does supply an Internet only service, but depending on area, the service levels vary hugely.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I've never used one but it is possible to buy load balancing ADSL broadband routers to optimize your connection to two different phone lines.