Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

WAKE ON WAN ISSUE - SKY SR101 Router

This is a discussion on WAKE ON WAN ISSUE - SKY SR101 Router within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere but im struggling to find answers on this. Im trying to get ...

chrisistheking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: ASUS N13U DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Exclamation WAKE ON WAN ISSUE - SKY SR101 Router

Not sure if this has been answered elsewhere but im struggling to find answers on this.

Im trying to get Wake on Wan working on the Sky Hub SR101.

Ive set up the SR101 with a dynDNS account and all is working ok. Im able to port forward other services and can connect to them externally no problem.

If I am connected to the LAN via wifi or wired I can send the magic packet to the dynDNS hostname and the destination machine recieves the packet ok. If I disconnect from the LAN and use an external network source to send to the same address the packet is not recieved.

Is this something the SR101 blocks from external IP addresses by default? And is there anyway I could get around it?

Any help would be appreciated

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: WAKE ON WAN ISSUE - SKY SR101 Router

You need to set your router to forward UDP packets from the internet destined for port 9 to either your LAN's broadcast address (if your router will allow it) or to the ip address of the network attached device that you are attempting to wake up. If the latter there is the problem that your router will release the address after the device has been switched off for a few minutes. If you think the router settings are correct power down the device then try to wake it up straight away from an external network. If that works repeat but with a few minutes gap between power down and wake up.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You need to set your router to forward UDP packets from the internet destined for port 9 to either your LAN's broadcast address (if your router will allow it) or to the ip address of the network attached device that you are attempting to wake up. If the latter there is the problem that your router will release the address after the device has been switched off for a few minutes. If you think the router settings are correct power down the device then try to wake it up straight away from an external network. If that works repeat but with a few minutes gap between power down and wake up.
      Hi thanks for the quick reply

I have already set the router up to do this and I can wake the PC up from my iphone using the dynDNS hostname as the target address whilst on the SR101's wifi... even after 30min!. Ive tried using a utility called Magic Packet Sender within windows to detect the packets and the packet are not being recieved externally but as soon as my iphone is connected locally to the wifi, the magic packets are recieved. I have tried typing the WAN ip address onto my WOL app rather than using the dynDNS hostname and its the same story. As soon as my phone is not on the local network the packet is not recieved. This machine is at my parents but I can use the same app to wake up my pc remotely at home but im using a third party router and not skys own

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

You could try this website for sending wake up calls from the internet: Wake On Lan Tool | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

Not having Sky broadband myself I don't know the full capabilities of the SR101 but if it has a "modem mode" which allows you to bypass its routing functions and allow one PC to be directly connected to the internet. You could rule out its routing or firewall functions blocking the WOL packet.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      You could try this website for sending wake up calls from the internet: Wake On Lan Tool | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

Not having Sky broadband myself I don't know the full capabilities of the SR101 but if it has a "modem mode" which allows you to bypass its routing functions and allow one PC to be directly connected to the internet. You could rule out its routing or firewall functions blocking the WOL packet.
      Yeah thats a good idea... I will give that a try this weekend when im next over there and post my findings. It would also be good if anyone else on here has any experience with the SR101 and WOL. Many thanks