Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless in garden office AND house?

This is a discussion on wireless in garden office AND house? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I have a SAGEM router in my garden office and the wireless range does not reach our house. ...

hopelessskyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

wireless in garden office AND house?

Hi all,

I have a SAGEM router in my garden office and the wireless range does not reach our house. We would like to use wireless for our ipads and iphones in the house (the mobile data reception is rubbish) so we thought that we would ask sky about extending the range of our existing router. They advised us to buy a hub which we did. I've just set the white hub up as per instructions and the wireless in the house is great, but it doesn't quite reach the garden office. Is there any sensible way in which I can have both in operation? The master switch is upstairs in a really awkward spot behind our bed, so the idea of unplugging from there in order to switch between them is very unappealing.

I have the hub plugged into the BT master switch currently, and it works as per expectations.

When I use the SAGEM a filter (different in appearance from the hub one) is plugged into the BT masterswitch. The ADSL line comes out of it and is buried in our garden up to the office. I plug the SAGEM into the faceplate in the office and bob's your uncle.

Is the ADSL cable a red herring? Is there any other way in which I can have wireless in the garden office and a wireless service in the house? The office is only about two dozen paces from the house. I'm not talking miles!!! Thank you for any help - this is my first post, apologies if it's in the wrong place.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: wireless in garden office AND house?

My best suggestion would be to get some suitability rated 'Outdoor Cat 5e Ethernet Cable' and run it from the Sky Hub to the shed/garden office. This will provide you a useful Ethernet connection to the shed. You can the set up your old Sagem router as an Access Point or you can purchase a Wireless Extender.

For setting up the old router, see this guide:

How to connect two Routers together

You could use a pair of HomePlugs instead of the Ethernet cable, some even come with WiFi too. However another member couldn't do this to his garage as it was on a separate mains connection.

I hope this makes sense.

As for where to connect the primary router (i.e. the Sky Hub SR101), ensure that it is using the Master Socket. You may wish to get a filtered faceplate the Master Socket is an NTE5 Socket and you have any hard wired telephone extensions. This should improve the connection speed a little too.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

hopelessskyuser is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you Scubbie, I will explore each of these options. I have a fuse box in the shed, but I think it might be an extra loop that comes off the same mains circuit. I think I will get the home plugs and, if that doesn't work, return them and install an ethernet cable. It's very kind of you to help! Rebecca

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

If you can borrow some HomePlugs first, that might be a good idea.

If they work, then I would try for a pair rated to at least 200mbps. 500mbps would be better for many, but may have problems if the wiring isn't 100% suitable for carrying the signal. Also if you are not transferring large files within your home network to and from the office, the 200mbps HomePlugs should be adequate.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms