Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

No Internet Light

This is a discussion on No Internet Light within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I've read afew similar posts around but none have really helped my situation. My internet light went off ...

Chris1991 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01706
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

No Internet Light

Hi there,

I've read afew similar posts around but none have really helped my situation. My internet light went off over night (No reset or anything). I've spoke to customer service team who told me to change the filter, which didn't work. They have completed line tests and explained the problem is on my end, possibly the router?. However the router is not that old so I'm trying to exhaust any other options before paying for a new one.

The setup involes;

- 1 cable running from the sky box to the filter which has a splitter on the end with 2 phone sockets ( The sky cable has not been plugged into the filter for about 6-8 months, sky has still worked fine. Why does it need to be plugged in?).

- a filter attaching phone, router cable,sky and all are connected through the filter to the wall socket.

thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: No Internet Light

Could you try connecting the router directly to your Test socket using just the microfilter and the short grey ADSL cable supplied with it please and see what happens?

If it doesn't work, do you have a friend or relative nearby who might have Sky broadband? If you do, could you try your router on their connection and their router on yours? This is just a temporary check to eliminate possible causes.

Your profile indicates that you have the old Netgear DG834GT router supplied by Sky. It is very possible that it has failed or that the PSU has failed. In either case, provided that the previous checks do not work, I would suggest that you ask for a replacement router to be sent.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Chris1991 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01706
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply, yeah I've done this which hasn't helped. I'll try see if anyone i know has a router we could try. Yea its the old one but in terms of usage its not that old.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Ideally you should always leave a modern router switched on 24/7. Powering it off at night, only to power it on in the morning, actually can shorten it's life span.

Either way, it is a few years old now and many are starting to fail.

If you can get it, try to get the new Sky Hub SR101. The standard price is 39+postage. See if they will offer it to you for less.

Strictly speaking they should offer you a WiFi g rated router. However Sky may wish to charge you 28 for this. If you use WiFi, then this is sadly a little less strong compared to the one you have been using. The newest Sky routers (Sagem 2504N and the Sky Hub SR101) are WiFi N rated. This is faster and stringer than what you have been using. however if your devices are only rated WiFi g, then you won't benefit from the speed, but perhaps a little from the signal strength.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

kan.grewal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dudley
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Oh my God - I too have the Netgear and my internet light went out last night too.....I think around 8-9pm. Have tried everything so far apart from the plug into the test socket. It just constantly sits at negotiating.

Spooky coincidence?!?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

My internet light went off over night (No reset or anything)
      my internet light went out last night too....
      When you say it went off, do you mean there was no light showing at all, or did it change to orange?

If there is no light at all there is a good chance the modem part of the router has died. You can try doing a reset by pushing a pin into the reset hole on the rear, just below the power socket and holding it there for 10 seconds or until the power and tick start to flash. If there is no response, then I am afraid your modem is dead.

If there is an orange light, go into the router settings and check if you are receiving an IP address, then at the bottom of the Status page, click the Sky Test button and see if it resyncs and gives you an address or an error code.

If you still have an orange light, the next thing to try is borrow another Sky router, plug it into your line and see if it connects. If it connects your router is faulty, ifit doesn't there is a fault with your line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

ok....there is a light of sorts! just flashes orange and then goes off....keeps doing this over and over

going into the router admin, there's no ip address and it just says negotiating (can't remember where - connection status?)

If I borrow someone elses router will it sync at my house? Login details being different etc? I'm on MER, if I borrow from someone who isn't will that still work?

For the sake of 30 off quid I'm tempted to just get a new router off sky anyway (calling them first to see if I can blag it for less!)

- - - Updated - - -

ok....there is a light of sorts! just flashes orange and then goes off....keeps doing this over and over

going into the router admin, there's no ip address and it just says negotiating (can't remember where - connection status?)

If I borrow someone elses router will it sync at my house? Login details being different etc? I'm on MER, if I borrow from someone who isn't will that still work?

For the sake of 30 off quid I'm tempted to just get a new router off sky anyway (calling them first to see if I can blag it for less!)

Thanks

If I borrow someone elses router will it sync at my house?
      Provided it is a Sky router. Any Sky router will work on any ADSL line. The log in details are unique to the router, not the user or line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

interesting.....right - who do I know that has sky broadband....

Thanks

Have you chedcked if your area has been reported as having a problem -
      Sky Broadband Service Status

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast