Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Line Testing started again on my Line. What Speeds should I expect?

This is a discussion on Line Testing started again on my Line. What Speeds should I expect? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello all, I have noticed Line testing Began on my Line on the 01/01/2013 and I was wondering what speeds ...

rickster245 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Line Testing started again on my Line. What Speeds should I expect?

Hello all,

I have noticed Line testing Began on my Line on the 01/01/2013 and I was wondering what speeds I could Expect when it has finished. Here is my Line stats as of today:
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4857 kbps 798 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.5 db 21.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 12.6 db

Also I am not quite sure why my Line Attenuation keeps increasing from 39.0 to 40.5db. Is this Normal?
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Line Testing started again on my Line. What Speeds should I expect?-linestats.jpg  

BT Infinity 2: 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Old ADSL2+ Connection: 5024 kbps / 798 kbps, Line Attenuation 39.5 db 21.9 db, Noise Margin 6.4 db 12.4 db

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Line Testing started again on my Line. What Speeds should I expect?

Also I am not quite sure why my Line Attenuation keeps increasing from 39.0 to 40.5db. Is this Normal?
      It could suggest you have a fault on your line. You were getting drop outs on your previous post, did you get them sorted out. If DLM has been running for 6 days it does not look like it is going to do much.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

There also was a Problem with the Phone (Wouldn't ring when there was an incoming call only outgoing calls worked.) Which has now been sorted and the drop out problems seemed to have gone away for now. Also the other day my Ping was over the roof (300ms). Would fibre works affect my line in anyway as there is quite a lot going on around my area. I'm starting to think I will just have to wait for fibre, Which should of already been available but the FTTC cabinet has been damaged and they are not putting a new one in until March.

Old ADSL2+ Connection: 5024 kbps / 798 kbps, Line Attenuation 39.5 db 21.9 db, Noise Margin 6.4 db 12.4 db

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You could call them and ask them to run DLM training again. Tell them you had a faullt on your line which has been fixed in the past few days.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, I will see how DLM goes when its done and if there is no improvement, Then I will call and ask them to re run it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Now my Attenuation is 41.5 instead of the usual 39.0 My line seems to be getting longer and longer
      Also DLM set my Line to 5.0Mbps, Fine by me for now as I'm most likely getting fibre at March or April. But I'm still confused as to why my attenuation keeps getting higher. Line Testing started again on my Line. What Speeds should I expect?-higher-attenuation.jpg

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

I wonder if this could indicate that there is a developing problem with your line?

Is there any work happening in your area at the moment? For example are they installing Fibre, or any other road works?

Could there perhaps be some underground water getting to your telephone line?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think the Fibre has already been installed in the area since there is a FTTC Cabinet (Non-Functional, Damaged) that is going to be replaced in March. Also The telephone line comes in from a Pole, So It's not underground.

I find it strange that there is two Telephone poles on the street with one which is only about 4-5m close to the property with a lot less houses connected to it (Some houses have more than 1 Line as if there line has been transferred from the old pole to the newer.) and My Line is connected to the one about 34m away so am I right in thinking this would make my Attenuation higher than it could be if it was on the closer pole.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The trunk cable that BTO uses for copper cable carries up to 10 telephone lines, or at least it does for the type used where I live. I found that out after someone decided to cut through the cable a few years back. This may explain why why there are two poles near where you live.

The Line Attenuation gets higher depending on the length of the telephone line and the type of line used.

I am wondering if there has been some damage to your line that is now causing this problem. It is possible and BTO are unlikely to admit it to anyone outside the company. Without knowing the specifics about the damage to your Fibre cabinet and what has happened inside the Green Street Cabinet that your line goes through, it is hard to guess.

The obvious things, such as noise on the line, have already been discussed.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

The newer pole from 1998 carries about 16 lines off of it, And has 1 trunk cable. The older (About 1938) and Further away pole (The one My line goes to) Has at least 25 lines, But has about 4 trunk cables. But because its further away (From both Me and the only PCP Cabinet.) I'm wondering if that's making my Attenuation higher than it could be on the closer pole.

Would it be Possible my line is degrading in the weather? It's been there for quite a while The damage to the Fibre cabinet is that someone must of reversed into it because its on the edge of the road and this has been like this for about 5 months and the door on the side was hanging open which was Taped shut by BTO about half a month later so some water may have seeped in and damaged something. The cabinet is going to be replaced 13th March as far as I know. My attenuation still is sticking at 41.5 instead of the Lowest I have seen it 39.0.

Thanks for your help so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast