Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DLM + Manually setting target SNR?

This is a discussion on DLM + Manually setting target SNR? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been manually adjusting my target SNR using the Sagem 2504 router. @ 100% @ 1% http://i.imgur.com/rKkkB.png Obviously my profile ...

norm360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

DLM + Manually setting target SNR?

I've been manually adjusting my target SNR using the Sagem 2504 router.

@ 100%

@ 1%

http://i.imgur.com/rKkkB.png

Obviously my profile is capped. If I ask for DLM to be restarted, what do I keep target SNR at?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: DLM + Manually setting target SNR?

If DLM training is going to be rerun you should leave it at default. If DLM finds your line is good enough it will reduce the noise margin. If you want to reduce the margin yourself, you should ask them to remove the cap from your line completely.

I find it a bit puzzling that you are able to reduce the noise margin without a corresponding increase in speed. Normally if you are capped the noise margin will remain the same, whether you reduce it artificially or not, it will not actually show a reduction in the stats. There is something iffy going on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I find it a bit puzzling that you are able to reduce the noise margin without a corresponding increase in speed. Normally if you are capped the noise margin will remain the same, whether you reduce it artificially or not, it will not actually show a reduction in the stats. There is something iffy going on.
      Not sure I agree totally with that.

However low I reduce my SNRM I can't get above the sync figure I get at 4dB, even by going down to 2dB (still fairly stable at that btw).

Thanks

I am no great expert at this but if your line is capped at a figure, say 10Mb, it does not matter how low you put the noise margin it will still sync at 10Mb. Let's say you put the noise margin at zero, it will still sync at 10Mb and leave the noise margin it does not require to sync at that figure. It should not show a noise margin of zero in your stats.

In my own case, DLM capped me at 11.264Mb with a noise margin of 6db. If I reduce the noise margin to 3 db, I will still sync at 11.264(or near as dammit) but my stats still show I have a noise margin of 6db. The 3db does not come into play until the noise on my line increases to such an extent that at the original 6db it would drop out. The fact that it is 3db gives me a bigger cushion. If my cap was removed I could probably sync a good bit higher, probably 12.5-13Mb, then my stats would show a noise margin of 3db. I'm sorry if you don't get what I am trying to put over, but in the case of the first post, where has the noise margin gone? The speed has not increased, so the noise margin should not have decreased. I suspect the router is reporting incorrectly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I guess it could well be down to how the router reports the stats. Mine's the Billion 7800n & clearly reports it's end of things , maybe others do it differently.

Exchange:
      Thanks

If you take my stats above, when the noise margin dropped to 2.4dB shouldn't DLM management kick in at the exchange because it thinks the line quality has deteriorated and it wants to keep it at 6dB (or whatever Sky have it set to)?

Also when you talk about removing the cap, does that mean DLM gets switched off from the line (I didn't think this was possible)?

Thanks

Also when you talk about removing the cap, does that mean DLM gets switched off from the line (I didn't think this was possible)?
      The knowledgeable Sky agents can remove the cap and suspend DLM. Many are unwilling to do it as they believe it may destabilise the line and lead to more calls for help.

If you take my stats above, when the noise margin dropped to 2.4dB
      That is my point, your noise margin cannot drop like that. It is only what the router is reporting, I would bet from Sky's end they are still seeing your original noise margin.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Wonderfully generic/useless response by Sky after requesting DLM be rerun. Who do you contact that can actually configure the line?

Thank you for your email.

I certainly understand your concern regarding the Broadband speed.

I have checked your account and see that you are currently receiving a download speed of 10234 kbps which is the optimum speed available on your Broadband line. Also, the line stable.

The DLM will be automatically started only if there are any errors on the line due to which the speed gets affected. As there are no errors on your line the DLM can't be started.

However,to ensure that you receive the optimum speed available on your line, it would be advisable to perform the following setup checks

Thanks

You would be better phoning, emails are always liable to get the response you had.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok so I rang Sky and requested DLM be turned off, and they said it had after a few mins on hold to Higher Technical Support.

But my sync rate is still holding at 10mbits. But the CRC error rate is going up when I set a lower target SNR so it must be doing something. I've also note seen 'Max Rate' of higher than 12mbits before.

@ 1%

@ 25%

PS Ignore the higher CRC error rate at 25% that was after using 1% so it skewed it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast