Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

How do I use sky router obtained from friend

This is a discussion on How do I use sky router obtained from friend within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have had a quick look through http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...afe-way-4.html but it is 33 pages long and confused my simple brain. I ...

barnsleyfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: wombwell
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How do I use sky router obtained from friend

I have had a quick look through Getting your V1 and V2 router passwords - the safe way but it is 33 pages long and confused my simple brain.

I have had sky broadband ever since it was introduced and currently have the V1 Netgear DG834 and over time i think the wireless signal has degraded. I contacted Sky to try and get a replacement router for my loyalty, but they insisted i would have to pay for the new Hub. My friend has just got sky fibre so his sagem modem is going spare.

Will it work if i just plug the sagem modem into my existing setup or do i need to do additional steps? If there are additional steps would you describe them as easy, medium, difficult (so i can gauge whether it is worth the effort). Could someone also please tell me what i would need to do?

If icannot get it to work, can i just plug my netgear DG834 back in and it will work as before (or will my tinkering with the new modem stop my existing one functioning)

Finally, do you think i should persist trying to get a free hub out of sky (eg by threatenning to leave), or am i unlikely to be successful

Thanks In Advance

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: How do I use sky router obtained from friend

You friend will need to keep his Sky router to himself, even if he is using a non-Sky router.

However if he was using another Sky router on his previous ADSL connection, then you can just plug it in on your ADSL connection. No other changes are required for it to work.

I would recommend that you reset the router, then change the SSID (Wireless name) and password to one of your own choosing.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Will it work if i just plug the sagem modem into my existing setup
      Yes, provided the router has not been banned it will work on any Sky ADSL line. If for any reason it doesn't, just plug in your old router and you are back where you started.

I have read that there are few if any special offers available to Cancellations, so you are unlikely to have much luck threatening to leave.

You friend will need to keep his Sky router to himself, even if he is using a non-Sky router.
      He's moved to Fibre Scubbie

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      He's moved to Fibre Scubbie
      I wasn't sure if he had just moved to Sky Fibre or someone else.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Yes, provided the router has not been banned it will work on any Sky ADSL line. If for any reason it doesn't, just plug in your old router and you are back where you started.
      Thanks. I wondered if somehow Sky were able to restrict the access to the adsl line to only a router supplied specifically for that line (if that makes sense).

So in theory, could i get any sky router off ebay as a replacement, and it work without having to do any firmware flashing etc?

Do you happen to know if the later Sagem modems have better WIFI than the original DG834. The modem is over 5 years old, gets very hot, and I suspect is not as good as when it was originally supplied

Thanks

Most routers you buy from eBay will work OK, but some are banned, not regisered or even faulty. It is a chance you take.

Whether the Sagem is better than the Dg834GT is debateable, if it is the original Sagem 2504 then I would say it is not. If it is the 2504N then it may have slightly better wireless performance, but if you have a Super G adapter it will be worse. I am still using my GT, but as I test out routers now and again it has not been connected permanently. I also use DGTeam firmware, which is a lot better than the Sky offering.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks again

BTW, do you have a link to latest DG firmware and simple instructions of how to install it?

Finally, I think the antenna is removable on this router - is there any scope for adding a better one?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again

BTW, do you have a link to latest DG firmware and simple instructions of how to install it?

Finally, I think the antenna is removable on this router - is there any scope for adding a better one?

Thanks

You can download the firmware from here - http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/netgear/

I would advise you to try this one first - DG834GT_V1.02.16_DGTeam_0848 as some have had difficulties with the latest version.

This should install using the Web interface on the router, if it doesn't you will have to use the Recovery Utility Method, as outlined here. DG834, DG834G Router Recovery Utility

Note that this is difficult to get working with anything but XP, although it can be done.

Some find that this is required -
      Recover a Netgear DG834GT Router

Please do not attempt this unless you have another working router as it could fail, brick your router and leave you with no way to get on the internet.

You could try a higher gain antenna, but it will not help if the card is failing.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm using V1.04.13
      How old is this version?
      You mention a warning - Is it safe to upgrade the firmware or can it be dangerous (should i wait until i get my friends sagem router working)

Thanks

I would advise you to wait until you have the other router working before you do anything with the GT. There is always a chance that things will go wrong when upgrading firmware, especially on older routers.

You have the latest Sky firmware for the GT which 'broke some functions on the router.

TomD

Useful Utilites