Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ping issue

This is a discussion on Ping issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. I've been having a lot of trouble lately with latency. I've rang sky CST a few times over ...

Mark O is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberkenfig
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Ping issue

Hi all. I've been having a lot of trouble lately with latency. I've rang sky CST a few times over the past 3 months trying to fix it but to no avail. Even had an engineer out at the beginning of December to check my line and he said its "perfect".
      I even managed to get a free upgraded sagem F@ST2504n router from them to see if it was the router playing up, but no. if anything, its slightly worse.

My last chat to CST the very helpful gentleman said that the person before him that configured my line hadn't clicked on "stabilize" for some reason. That call was around 30mins ago, how long would it take for it to "stabilize"? I've switched the router off for 5mins and restarted it hoping it would work but again, no.

Using a wired connection on my pc, my ping used to be 28ms to BBC - Homepage but now it ranges from 150ms - 300ms and usually drops out 1 or 2 times a day... which is making gaming or even general interneting virtually impossible and very annoying lol.

here is a recent "speedtest" and my sig is what i used to get lol :-

Here are my current router stats from the test socket :-

System Up Time: 0:22:02

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 3230 3984 0 2 3 0:20:45
      LAN Up 4529 4115 0 3695 427 0:22:02
      WLAN Up 477 91 0 15 2 0:21:41
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 17044 kbps 1076 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.0 dB 9.1 dB
      Noise Margin 6.9 dB 8.5 dB

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Dazza115 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Ping issue

Sounds like youre having the same issue as I am. Most of the day it's fine then come 6pm until about 10pm it gets progressively worse. Right this second my ping to bbc.co.uk is fluctuating between 135 and 230ms, it did the same last night and the night before (when it actually reached 700).

It corresponds to a drop in speed aswell, from 14-15Mb/s to 500Kb/s and the same thing happens to my friend across the street on fibre.

I've jumped through the hoops before and all they did was put me on a gamimg profile which did nothing, then a week or two later it "fixed itself", or they added more capacity to the exchange, take your pick. I think sky have become very lazy over the last year in adding capacity to exchanges, they push it and push it till it breaks and THEN they do something a few months later.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dazza115 For This Useful Post:

Mark O (03-01-13)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your stats look pretty good, in fact you could probably get more if your line is stable. Is this the speed/ping you get at all times or is it just during the peak periods? If it is the latter then it is probably an exchange overload issue. Sky are gradually working their way through all exchanges upgrading the output, but with the number of exchanges they have, this is not an overnight job. Have you checked if your exchange is on the list of exchanges being fixed. There is a link to it somewhere which I can't find, maybe someone else can?

If it is the former, could you start your PC in Safe Mode with Networking and do a speed test here - Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester and report your speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Mark O (03-01-13)

dankargo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Romford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza115 View Post
      Sounds like youre having the same issue as I am. Most of the day it's fine then come 6pm until about 10pm it gets progressively worse. Right this second my ping to bbc.co.uk is fluctuating between 135 and 230ms, it did the same last night and the night before (when it actually reached 700).

It corresponds to a drop in speed aswell, from 14-15Mb/s to 500Kb/s and the same thing happens to my friend across the street on fibre.

I've jumped through the hoops before and all they did was put me on a gamimg profile which did nothing, then a week or two later it "fixed itself", or they added more capacity to the exchange, take your pick. I think sky have become very lazy over the last year in adding capacity to exchanges, they push it and push it till it breaks and THEN they do something a few months later.
      Exactly the same problem I'm having on Fibre.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme
      Have you checked if your exchange is on the list of exchanges being fixed. There is a link to it somewhere which I can't find, maybe someone else can?
      Broadband and Talk service updates | Sky Customer Support

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Isitme (03-01-13),Mark O (03-01-13)

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses.
      It turns out my exchange is one that is overloaded, but the good news is that it's being "fixed" later on this month.
      In response to Isitme, the ping issue has been constant all day, everyday but now a couple of hours ago my router dropped out by itself (nothing new there lol) but what did surprise me was this...

The best result I've had in months!!!

If it goes back to the way it was, then I shall post my results as you said, in safe mode. But by the sounds of it, the problem lies with the exchange.

Also, Isitme, when i first joined this forum and Sky BB, my router was syncing around 19meg, I think the highest it synced to was 19450kbps nice and stable, but now it just about reaches 17200kbps.

Thanks again to everyone. I'll post again once the exchange is fixed. *fingers crossed* :P

Thanks

Scratch that, I spoke too soon, its back to "normal" lol 105ms to bristol... which used to be around 30ms
      Looks like its going to be a waiting game to see if the exchange upgrade helps.
      Slightly off topic but I have been trying to get fibre through either Sky or BT but the availability checker says I can't, although the exchange is enabled, my cabinet is not. But every cabinet that is near me has got the infinity sticker on it...
      After looking through some other posts I found that my cabinet doesn't have a number, its either M_B or M_C can someone tell me what this means please?

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark O View Post
      After looking through some other posts I found that my cabinet doesn't have a number, its either M_B or M_C can someone tell me what this means please?
      I believe it means that your line is directly connected to the exchange therefore FTTC is not supported.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Mark O (03-01-13)

Thanks

Hello all.
      Over the past couple of days, I've noticed that the ping is getting worse at peak times like Dazza115 and Dankargo. At random points of the day I may get around 40-50 ping but it doesn't last long.

Like at the moment I'm getting this

Which makes me want to jump on my ps3 quickly and shoot some people lol

When i checked my routers stats this morning, this is what i found:-

System Up Time: 41:14:46

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 105950 1222772 0 32 34 7:33:19
      LAN Up 305444 170405 0 7112 839 41:14:46
      WLAN Up 916476 302717 0 9 0 41:14:24
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 18021 kbps 1072 kbps
      Line Attenuation 15.5 dB 9.1 dB
      Noise Margin 5.9 dB 8.5 dB

I was wondering why the WAN MER uptime is so different to the LAN and WLAN?

Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I was wondering why the WAN MER uptime is so different to the LAN and WLAN?
      It looks like DLM training may be being rerun on your line. That would account for the increase in your sync speed as well. It would be very useful if Sky could advise users when DLM was being rerun. Surely it would not be too difficult to set up an automatic email system?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Mark O (06-01-13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast