Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this?

This is a discussion on Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I started to get my broadband from Sky in September 2010. At that time the usually 10 day line testing ...

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this?

I started to get my broadband from Sky in September 2010. At that time the usually 10 day line testing began and completed and the speed was set.

The other day I just happened to check my router stats and it showed that my downstream speed was 18010 kbps. Ever since the line testing had completed in September 2010, the downstream speed was around 17020 kbps. I checked the router stats today again and the downstream speed is currently at 18009 kbps.

I thought I would look in the My Sky/My Broadband section on Sky's website to see if there was any reason/mention of the increase in my downstream speed. In the Your Connection Details section it shows that:

Testing on your broadband connection began on 26/12/2012 and will be completed within 10 days.

You may notice some variations in your broadband speed and this is normal. We are aiming to give you the best quality experience. Please leave your router on during this time.

Check back here to confirm the maximum speeds supported by your connection.

I was wondering what possible reason could there be, for line testing to begin again after over 2 years since the line testing had finished?

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      justbaldchris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this?

My parents line has just down the same - all tests point to it being our problem according to sky.

Awaiting a call back within the 72 hours as promised - currently hour 96.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this?

@Tal71

Don't worry, it's a good thing
      Earlier last year, sky improved dlm so that it can now use lower downstream noise margins to achieve higher speeds.

Before, it could only set it to 7db, but good lines that can handle it will now be set to 6 or even 3db.
      It just means that sky have finally got round to reprofiling yours.
      Tal71 likes this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (02-01-13)

newbuilder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

This is normally caused by fluctuating line stats. Dlm monitors your line 24/7 and if there is any change will start testing. Changes at this time of year can be caused by cheap Christmas lights hung from people's trees and properties and/or a router powerpack about to give up. It could also be powerpack from a new toy! I wouldn't it do the dlm and see what happens after the season has ended.
      ------

Advice given is in good faith and if taken is done so at your own risk. If in doubt consult a qualified person.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

As your speed has gone up, it is very unlikely DLM has kicked in because you have a fault. When this happens it just reduces your speed, it does not go into a training mode. As Gymno says DLM now works differently and can give you more speed if your line is capable. Sky are gradually working their way through all their subscribers reprofiling their lines, many getting are getting a good speed increase.

Post your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks everyone for the help.

I had to reboot my router just now as I couldn't connect (its been like this all afternoon)

My stats are:

Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this?-2013-01-02_173038.jpg

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Stats look good to me.

The 6.2db shows dlm is trying things at 6db, but it may go lower during the next few days.

Because the upstream isn't near it's potential yet, i'd say it's still got a bit of work to do so try not to switch off the router, if you can.
      One or two times is ok, but any more could be interpreted as instability & result in dlm finishing prematurely.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Stats look good to me.

The 6.2db shows dlm is trying things at 6db, but it may go lower during the next few days.

Because the upstream isn't near it's potential yet, i'd say it's still got a bit of work to do so try not to switch off the router, if you can.
      One or two times is ok, but any more could be interpreted as instability & result in dlm finishing prematurely.
      Thanks for the help and the clarification. Yeah hopefully things should improve. I wouldn't have switched the router off earlier, it's just I couldn't connect all afternoon, so whether the router needed rebooted for an unconnected reason to DLM, I'm not sure. Hopefully I won't need to do it again whilst DLM is running.

Thanks again

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just checked in My Sky/My Broadband section and it shows that:

Line connection testing completed on 03/01/2013, resulting in the following settings:

Download speed setting
      Your connection has been set to a download speed of up to 18.0Mbps .

Upload speed setting
      Your connection has been set to an upload speed of up to 0.9Mbps .

Here's the current stats:

Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this?-2013-01-04_204004.jpg

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Going by your wan uptime, dlm actually finished on the day you couldn't connect & had to reboot the router.

It's done a good job with the downstream, but the upstream should really be somewhere around 1100kbps.

I'm no expert with this kind of thing, but it could be that the issue you had has indeed caused dlm to finish early.
      If so, you may have even got a little bit more on the downstream, had it had a chance to complete.

If the line is stable & the noise margins aren't varying wildly, i'd give sky a call & explain that you had a one-off issue during dlm & that you're positive it's affected the outcome.

Wether it's best to ask for the line to be profiled manually, or for dlm to be run again, i don't know.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (05-01-13)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast