Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this?

This is a discussion on Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I would say that's as much as I'll get. DLM did not reboot my router last night. Still 600 kbps ...

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Re: Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this?

I would say that's as much as I'll get. DLM did not reboot my router last night. Still 600 kbps more than I was on before the testing began is better than nothing

My Sky still shows that line testing is running, but from memory, this is a bit behind of when the line testing actually finishes.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Line testing has begun again over 2 years since it had previously finished, why is this?

Strangely My Sky still shows "Testing on your broadband connection began on 05/09/2013 and will be completed within 10 days".

My router rebooted in the early hours and my downstream and upstream have dropped from what it was. Not sure if DLM is still running despite it been nearly 3 weeks since its started.

Here's my current stats:

nellisere is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EMBOSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Mine has been saying "Testing on your broadband connection began on27/08/2013 and will be completed within 10 days. " and it's been nearly 30! Rang up and they said Openreach had an outage last week causing problems for everyone who was on DLM at the time. They've said they've restarted it now though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nellisere For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (25-09-13)

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

The info on the mysky page does occasionally get stuck.
      On mine it says:
      Testing on your broadband connection began on 26/06/2013 and will be completed within 10 days.
      Due to the time that the resync occurred & the severity of speed drop, i'd say that DLM has restarted again.

Your attenuation figures haven't changed, which is good news so it doesn't look like a fault of any kind.
      Have you had any drop-outs or other issues?
      It may just be that the error count was a little high after the last time DLM ran & it'll retrain it to be slightly slower this time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (25-09-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      The info on the mysky page does occasionally get stuck.
      On mine it says:

Due to the time that the resync occurred & the severity of speed drop, i'd say that DLM has restarted again.

Your attenuation figures haven't changed, which is good news so it doesn't look like a fault of any kind.
      Have you had any drop-outs or other issues?
      It may just be that the error count was a little high after the last time DLM ran & it'll retrain it to be slightly slower this time.
      Thanks gymno.

Never had any disconnections that I've noticed.

My router rebooted in the early hours again last night and both the downstream and upstream have increased a bit from what they were yesterday.

Here's my current stats:

Exchange:
      Thanks

Another reboot in the early hours and my downstream has increased by almost 2000 kbps.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Another reboot in the early hours. The downstream has dropped ever so slightly.

But the noise margin has dropped down by almost 3db from what it was yesterday, no idea why this is, or if it's a good thing or not?

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

It's not really a good or bad thing, just the DLM software testing things & collecting data.

Sometimes, a certain speed can be best achieved with a low noise margin & higher impulse noise protection.
      Other times, a higher margin with lower IMP must work best.

It's possible that your line is slightly noisy at 2am when DLM resyncs it, so the margin was actually 3db at the time.
      Likewise, with the previous set of stats, the margin was probably 6db at 2am.
      These are all factors that DLM takes into account & fluctuations in the noise margin may be the reason it's started training again.

Mine used to vary by upto 1.5db depending on time of day.
      It's fairly common.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gymno For This Useful Post:

Tal71 (27-09-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

I am beginning to think that there is an issue with you line.

Are BTO installing Fibre in your area? If not, give Sky a call and ask to speak to someone as DLM does not normally go up and down as much as it is in your case.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      I am beginning to think that there is an issue with you line.

Are BTO installing Fibre in your area? If not, give Sky a call and ask to speak to someone as DLM does not normally go up and down as much as it is in your case.

I have seen BT (Openreach) engineers installing green cabinets right next to current ones in my area. The new ones that they have been installing have a warning about about electric shock (230 volts I think it mentions).

They look pretty much the same as this:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast