Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Moving to Sky from O2

This is a discussion on Moving to Sky from O2 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme Some of the support staff may not know this, but it is not up to them ...

mwsh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Moving to Sky from O2

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Some of the support staff may not know this, but it is not up to them to ask if you want a MAC when you say you want to cancel.
      We've spoken to quite a few staff since cancelling and no ones saying its impossible to get a MAC after cancelling.

We have always advised anyone who is leaving to obtain a MAC first, if one is available, before mentioning anything about cancelling. Some haven't and have had to wait a couple of weeks to get reconnected.
      They're legally obliged to provide but unfortunately Ofcom don't specify a time limit.

I would get on the phone now if I were you.
      Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      daddyp81 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Anyway, mwsh, thanks for hijacking my thread with something that is completely unrelated!

to those that replied 'on topic' many thanks and i really appreciate it.

Im quite excited to see whats what when i get up and running with SKY bb, ill be sure to post back my router stats once DLM period has finished.

If i achieve the same speeds i had with O2 ill be happy enough, as the monthly cost will be 30% cheaper at just 10, i get a wireless 'n' router (SR101) and hopefully the connection will be nice and stable. If i do manage to sneak a sync speed of 5-6meg ill be ecstatic.

In the last few days my SNR with o2 has gone down from a variable 11-13db to a stable steady 9.0 since i removed the ringer wire. my download speeds have gone up to about 3.2-3.5meg and my router has been up and running without a disconnect since. im guessing O2 put me on a target SNR of 9 due to the noise created by my internal wiring? Hopefully now this is sorted i might squeeze a bit more out of SKY.

Cheers

Andy

Exchange:
      Thanks

Moving to Sky from O2

Switch over completed today, here are my router stats.

Couple of things I noticed are my line attenuation has gone up slightly, my upload speed is less than O2 but my download is slightly higher. Also, snr is less than O2.

Is this a standard 'opening' sync for the router before DLM?

Moving to Sky from O2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358187242.715749.jpg

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The initial connection speed is around 4096kbps d/l & 605kbps u/l. So nothing really too worrying there at the moment.

As for the change in Line Attenuation, this can be for a host of reasons. The simplest explanation is the different routers calculate it differently. It is also possible that your telephone line is now using a different set of wires some where between your home and the exchange.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

doozer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01442
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Daddyp81,
      I left O2 a while back. At the time I was on "Up to 8Mb" and they left me there, to be fair I could get 7Mb "ish".
      Then they increased the monthly rate and I moved to a different Sim provider for my mobile so that would have increased my monthly BB further.
      Sky reckoned they could get me "Up to" 16Mb and after the DLM etc my router regularly syncs at 15Mb download and just over 1.5Mb upload. Speedtest.net regularly reports 12Mb download and just over 1Mb upload. I'm happy, hope you get an improvement to! Oh and it costs me 7.50 per month, half what O2 was costing me!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Moving to Sky from O2

Right then, morning all. Looks like DLM is now active on my line as I had a reset sometime around 3-4AM, new stats are here Moving to Sky from O2-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358321849.229258.jpg

SNR is now 4ish and upload is around 0.7 meg. Sadly, download hasn't barely increased on this occasion. Will it over time?

As far as the SR101 hub goes, absolutely belting wifi performance with much better connection speeds at the extremities of my property.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Moving to Sky from O2

Quote Originally Posted by daddyp81 View Post
      Right then, morning all. Looks like DLM is now active on my line as I had a reset sometime around 3-4AM, new stats are here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358321849.229258.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	4073

SNR is now 4ish and upload is around 0.7 meg. Sadly, download hasn't barely increased on this occasion. Will it over time?

As far as the SR101 hub goes, absolutely belting wifi performance with much better connection speeds at the extremities of my property.
      Also just noticed I swapped from MER to PPPoA, why and what's the difference? Thanks

Andy

Thanks

Things don't look too good on the speed side at the moment, but I would be hopeful that you can get more from your connection.

There is a tool to predict the potential speed in the Tool links at the top of this screen. This predicts that you could potentially get 6mb-7mb based upon your line attenuation.

Nice to see that you are getting a good WiFi performance. This is something which more of us will appreciate as we get more WiFi based devices.

As for MER and PPPoA, whilst there are technical details which differ and the routing within Sky's servers will be slightly different, I don't think that on the whole there is a huge difference in terms of performance. I believe that there is an extra 'hop' with PPPoA which may add a fraction of a millisecond to the time it takes your Internet downloads & uploads to reach their final destination.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

daddyp81 (16-01-13)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Moving to Sky from O2

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Things don't look too good on the speed side at the moment, but I would be hopeful that you can get more from your connection.

There is a tool to predict the potential speed in the Tool links at the top of this screen. This predicts that you could potentially get 6mb-7mb based upon your line attenuation.

Nice to see that you are getting a good WiFi performance. This is something which more of us will appreciate as we get more WiFi based devices.

As for MER and PPPoA, whilst there are technical details which differ and the routing within Sky's servers will be slightly different, I don't think that on the whole there is a huge difference in terms of performance. I believe that there is an extra 'hop' with PPPoA which may add a fraction of a millisecond to the time it takes your Internet downloads & uploads to reach their final destination.
      Thanks for the reply, so as I understand DLM they start slow then increase gradually over a 10 day period?

I'm hoping that I might see a bit more yet. If I could achieve a sync speed of 5meg I'd be happy, 6 and I'd be ecstatic!

I'll let DLM do its thing and then see where I am.

Is it of interest/use to the forum to keep this updated?

Cheers

Andy

Thanks

DLM will now continue to monitor your line and adjust it a little over night. It will probably be completed over the next 3-5 days in your case.

It is up to you is you wish to keep us updated. In the long term it helps everyone IMHO as we can see any trends and this helps us to advise others, so it is always appreciated.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast