Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Moving to Sky from O2

This is a discussion on Moving to Sky from O2 within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by mwsh We turned everything off and even left the building for 6 days for Christmas. Sky says ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Moving to Sky from O2

Quote Originally Posted by mwsh View Post
      We turned everything off and even left the building for 6 days for Christmas. Sky says the usage still went up.
      Have you checked the list of connected devices? The Sky Hub SR101 has a good page for this.

http://192.168.0.1/sky_attached_devices.html

It is possible that someone has hacked your router's WiFi and is happily downloading their torrents on your connection.

If this is the case, change the Wireless name (SSID) and password to something quite different to what it is now.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mwsh View Post
      We turned everything off and even left the building for 6 days for Christmas. Sky says the usage still went up.
      That is possible. I read some time ago that the Sky usage meter only updates every few days. With the amount of graphics and video on the web nowadays it is easy to go over the 2Gb limit, especially if you are also connected to On Demand. The free Lite package is OK for a bit of surfing and email, anything more and 10 is not a lot to pay for a truly unlimited service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mwsh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Have you checked the list of connected devices? The Sky Hub SR101 has a good page for this.

http://192.168.0.1/sky_attached_devices.html

It is possible that someone has hacked your router's WiFi and is happily downloading their torrents on your connection.

If this is the case, change the Wireless name (SSID) and password to something quite different to what it is now.
      I've checked the connected devices and changed the password. We werent even in the house when Sky say the usage was going up. Couldnt find the problem.

Usage went up 3 months ago after we bought a new router from sky but Sky refuse to look into it or beleive us.

Thanks

I can understand their point of view, even if it is annoying.

Unfortunately their records are only going to show the usage, not the content or which devices were in use at the time.

Putting a sensible cap on, I know that Sky sends out 3 messages if you go over the monthly 2GB limit, with the 3rd email advising you that you will be upgraded to the Unlimited package.

Looking at the Unlimited package, 7.50 per month is exceptionally good value IMHO, even for those who might only download 10GB per month.

In 2011 Thinkbroadband posted a survey that show the average monthly to be 17GB in the UK. This was expected to double every 3 years I think that they said.

With all the potential on-line content available through the different content providers, 2GB can very quickly be consumed.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

I can understand their point of view, even if it is annoying.

Unfortunately their records are only going to show the usage, not the content or which devices were in use at the time.
      I'm not asking them to tell me the history of the usage.
      I'm just asking them to do some monitoring for 30 mins - packet sniffing isn't difficult. Our router packed in and we bought a new one from SKy - since then the usage has gone up and the speed has gone down. I believe the 2 issues are connected and am happy to work with Sky to diagnose it. But they don't care.

Looking at the Unlimited package, 7.50 per month is exceptionally good value IMHO, even for those who might only download 10GB per month.
      Its only good value if you use that much. My mother uses the internet for about 1 hour a week and doesn't download anything. Emails and banking are her limits.
      Worse is that she's miles from the exchange and can only get 1Mb. We think the router is pumping stuff out and slowing it down. Sky have checked the usage and agree it went up around the time they sent the new router - but they will not replace the router or check it. They don't care.

Personally, I don't think the price is good for someone who only uses a the internet very little. Also paying 5p/min for useless support "can you turn it off and on again" - is NOT support.

We've managed to get free support and cheaper internet by moving so we'll be happy IF they ever give us a MAC so we can move. They've agreed to cancel but keep asking us to call back for a MAC.

Thanks

To the best of my knowledge the Sky Hub SR101 does not send unsolicited messages or any other content to anyone.

Since your mother has Sky Broadband, any calls to Sky on her line would be free. However if you are calling from your home and if you do not have Sky Talk, then the calls will be chargeable. This is an issue for many people.

As for getting a MAC code, this is only required when transferring between BTW products. If your mother has the free broadband product with a 2GB monthly limit, then she should be on a exchange which has Sky's LLU kit and she won't be on a BTW product.

Exchange:
      Thanks

To the best of my knowledge the Sky Hub SR101 does not send unsolicited messages or any other content to anyone.
      Agreed. Unless there's a fault. Since usage went up after we'd switched everything off - either the router has been hacked (we changed the password) or there is a fault somewhere.
      I work in networking so am happy to help diagnose. Just send me the packet sniffing output.
      After 2 years my mother used a lot less than 2Gb/month - After the new router it went to 4Gb/month.

Since your mother has Sky Broadband, any calls to Sky on her line would be free. However if you are calling from your home and if you do not have Sky Talk, then the calls will be chargeable. This is an issue for many people.
      She doesn't have Sky Talk - but the internet is cheaper elsewhere anyway. The support being free is a bonus.

As for getting a MAC code, this is only required when transferring between BTW products. If your mother has the free broadband product with a 2GB monthly limit, then she should be on a exchange which has Sky's LLU kit and she won't be on a BTW product.
      She's not on Sky LLU - she needs the MAC. Lets hope they do it today.
      They were meant to call her today and they haven't - if they don't she's decided to cancel the TV package as well.

Thanks

We think the router is pumping stuff out and slowing it down.
      Unless the user puts it in, the only thing routers 'pump out' is requests for the time and updates. There are only about 2 reasons for what you are experiencing. One is that Sky have got their lines crossed and are monitoring the wrong line, which is most likely, or one or more of your devices are harbouring a virus or malware.

Unless you specifically ask that your MAC be sent by email, I doubt if you will get it that way. They are also unlikely to call you with it. One thing you will have to be careful of is that if the cancellation goes through, they will then be unable to give you a MAC. You would be better getting on the phone and staying on it till you get the MAC read out to you, then ask that it be confirmed by email.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unless the user puts it in, the only thing routers 'pump out' is requests for the time and updates.
      In my networking days, I've seen faulty routers doing odd things.

There are only about 2 reasons for what you are experiencing. One is that Sky have got their lines crossed and are monitoring the wrong line, which is most likely, or one or more of your devices are harbouring a virus or malware.
      We switched every device off for 6 days and left the building over Christmas. You could be right Sky are monitoring the wrong house - if so they won't look into it. Its not a virus as the usage increased when we weren't in the house - at least thats what Sky say.

Unless you specifically ask that your MAC be sent by email, I doubt if you will get it that way.
      Really ? Sky support say they will give it over the phone ? Are they mis-leading us ?

They are also unlikely to call you with it.
      Yesterday they said they would call today. Is this untrue ?

One thing you will have to be careful of is that if the cancellation goes through, they will then be unable to give you a MAC. You would be better getting on the phone and staying on it till you get the MAC read out to you, then ask that it be confirmed by email.
      Yes - I just heard this. If this is the case then why don't Sky know this ? I get the feeling Sky support isn't staffed by people from Sky.

Thanks

Really ? Sky support say they will give it over the phone ? Are they mis-leading us ?
      They will give it over the phone, but they will not confirm it by email unless you ask them to.

Yesterday they said they would call today. Is this untrue ?
      I wouldn't count on it.

Yes - I just heard this. If this is the case then why don't Sky know this ?
      Some of the support staff may not know this, but it is not up to them to ask if you want a MAC when you say you want to cancel. We have always advised anyone who is leaving to obtain a MAC first, if one is available, before mentioning anything about cancelling. Some haven't and have had to wait a couple of weeks to get reconnected. I would get on the phone now if I were you.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast