Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Claiming for service outage

This is a discussion on Claiming for service outage within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Please forgive me if this is posted elsewhere but im currently having to use my mobile to browse this ...

Lagerlout07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01695
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Angry Claiming for service outage

Hi
      Please forgive me if this is posted elsewhere but im currently having to use my mobile to browse this site using a gprs network. We have been a customer of sky for a number of years always without fault and when their has; never been much of a issue with their customer service, until now.

2 days before christmas we started getting loads of noise on our line, cracking popping, could here other people on the phone, a sound of static like "skip" you used to get on the "CB's" years ago coming in and out in and out, of course then the internet was down too.

I contacted sky christmas eve and was basicly told to call back boxing day, which annoyed me enough too begin with leaving us with no phone for christmas. (we have family in australia so it went down like a lead ballon with the missus)

I called sky boxing day and we where lucky to get a engineer to come out Friday 28th, i thought brill ok least we will be up before the kids go back to school( they both got laptops for christmas and have been unable to use them). BT engineer came at 8.30am and said our faceplace was really old, he sat down replaced the master socket plugged everything in and said he needed to check outside. I could see we had connected at 5mb on our router(normally 9mb) and i thought well least its on, i can have a moan at customer services later. He was outside about ten minutes came in said its all sorted and he left. I came in, picked the phone up and it was still crackling and whistling, i really couldnt belive it, he basicly replaced our socket in the house and scarpered....

I called sky, i have had raging blue murder with them and we now have to wait till the 11th of january before a broadband engineer can come out ( why this was not done first considering i called the broadband team????),
      i am absoulutly furious i was looking at sky fibre for the new year but they can get stuffed now. We have very little phone service which cuts us off, no internet other than my phone and 2 very gutted daughters that cant play online with their new toys...... (rant over i promise).

Now during my conversations with one of the customer team members they mentioned that i could claim downtime compensation and this is where i require some help from you, what does this compensation consist of, just the line rental for these days or can i claim other things, such as fuel to my mothers to use her phone to recive a call from our family in austraila? I would post on sky but i dont feel i would get a honest answer, and i dont want to ask them on the phone for fear of being fobbed off.

Thank-you for reading and happy new year (nearly)

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Claiming for service outage

If I were you, I'd be back on the phone ASAP. Unless there's something I'm missing, booking a broadband engineer for what is a voice fault is not the right action and you'll be expecting another booking for the correct type of engineer.

Given Sky have been as far as booking Openreach, I can only assume you've been through the standard troubleshooting (try a known working fine handset at the test socket with no other equipment).

- Have Sky mentioned that their tests have picked up any faults? Sounds like a possible earth/battery line fault by your description.
      - Can both parties hear the noise whilst having a conversation with someone on the landline?

In reference to compensation, I'm not sure on the mileage and other costs, I would highly doubt it. You'd usually be credited for the downtime - from when you reported the fault to when it was fixed.

Lagerlout07 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01695
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Hi
      Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes we went threw the normal routines of trying a diffrent phone, i tried two diffrent routers, i took off our adsl nation faceplate and tried a standard box filter. We are currently plugged phone direct into the master socket as i find the router adds to the hiss on the line, and i still need to accept calls to ask them to call my mobile or call them back, if i can hear them.

Sky conducted a phone line check which they say reported as fine, our broadband though did fail hence why they are sending a broadband engineer. I have told them though that we have noise on the line and they again have told me the engineer they are sending out can repair both. Starting to think im being fobbed off.

The noise can be also be heard both ways, and my mum reports calling our house doesnt always get threw, it just goes silent which happens here too sometimes when i attempt to make a call outwards, i have to hang up and try again to get a outside line.

A strange thing with this though i just noticed this morning is if im on the phone the internet syncs and stays connected, i just tested this and if i leave the phone off the hook and put up with that annoying whining noise the internet stayed connected for the duration.

Thank-you for sheding some light on the compensation, i just didnt want to speak to them knowing nothing.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

A strange thing with this though i just noticed this morning is if im on the phone the internet syncs and stays connected, i just tested this and if i leave the phone off the hook and put up with that annoying whining noise the internet stayed connected for the duration.
      That looks like a high resistance fault, where there is a break in the line or a loose joint. The extra power due to the phone being 'off the hook' allows the broadband to jump the gap and make a connection.

They a right in that a broadband trained engineer will also find faults on the voice line. They cost more than a normal phone engineer and usually Sky are very reluctant to send them out. When he/she comes tell them about having the voice line open improving the broadband, that will give them a clue what to look for.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Broadband engineers ('LL14' product) are there to diagnose data issues. If you have a voice fault (no dial tone, crackling, one way transmission etc.), then a voice engineer needs booked (LL1, LL4 or LL12 depending on the situation). Voice takes precedence over the data issue, seeing as the voice issue is likely causing the data issue. I'd be on the phone to them and clarifying exactly what engineer they have booked - you should have been texted the direct number to Customer Solutions to confirm this.

This is presuming the protocol is still the same as it once was with Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagerlout07 View Post
      Hi
      Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes we went threw the normal routines of trying a diffrent phone, i tried two diffrent routers, i took off our adsl nation faceplate and tried a standard box filter. We are currently plugged phone direct into the master socket as i find the router adds to the hiss on the line, and i still need to accept calls to ask them to call my mobile or call them back, if i can hear them.

Sky conducted a phone line check which they say reported as fine, our broadband though did fail hence why they are sending a broadband engineer. I have told them though that we have noise on the line and they again have told me the engineer they are sending out can repair both. Starting to think im being fobbed off.

The noise can be also be heard both ways, and my mum reports calling our house doesnt always get threw, it just goes silent which happens here too sometimes when i attempt to make a call outwards, i have to hang up and try again to get a outside line.

Thank-you for sheding some light on the compensation, i just didnt want to speak to them knowing nothing.
      To clarify - if you have tried two handsets directly at the test socket (no idea why they're asking you to try different filters when this is a clear voice issue) and you still hear the crackling (by both parties), then it's as simple as getting a voice engineer to look into it.