Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Broadband Set to 2Mb and Drop Outs

This is a discussion on Broadband Set to 2Mb and Drop Outs within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; What happened was that Yesterday my Broadband was running Stable at 5 Mb and around 0.60 Upload then my Broadband ...

rickster245 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Unhappy Broadband Set to 2Mb and Drop Outs

What happened was that Yesterday my Broadband was running Stable at 5 Mb and around 0.60 Upload then my Broadband just dropped out and the Orange Light started flashing on my Router. So I let it Come back on then I checked my router stats and it initially was not even 1 Mb then it dropped again and then re-synced at just over 1 Mb. Later after about 10 (or more) Drop outs It finally found a Stable speed of Just over 2 Mb and here is the Router stats today,

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2734 kbps 527 kbps
      Line Attenuation 42.5 db 22.8 db
      Noise Margin 12.3 db 14.0 db

Also my Line Attenuation is normally around 39.0 - 39.5 and Noise margin around 6-7.

Here is what I get when I do a Speedtest.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Broadband Set to 2Mb and Drop Outs

It looks like your line has suffered from some temporary interference, causing DLM to kick in and reduce the speed. Best thing to do is plug into the Test socket using only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky and take your stats. If the noise margin rises that indicates you are getting interference from your internal wiring. You should fit and use a filtered faceplate.

If there is an improvement or not, leave it in the Test socket, call Sky and ask them to run DLM training again. If they refuse ask them to configure your line manually as you have made improvements and should have a better speed.

If you have a corded phone, it may be worthwhile plugging it into the test socket, dial one digit and listen. If there is any noise report it to your phone provider as a noisy line.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The Filter I am using now Is the one from Sky But The ADSL cable is not due to the one from sky being to short (Only Just) and I also use the BT iPlate even though I have no Extensions. When I can I will plug into the test socket and see how it goes.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Small Update: Internet Has dropped out again about 5-6 maybe more times in the last 30 Mins or so. I have the Router plugged into the Test Socket and it has not helped the situation. Had to Post this quickly or it could of Dropped Out again. Any Help appreciated.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If it is still dropping out in the Test socket, that suggests you have a fault on your line. All you can do is call Sky and ask them to investigate.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks. Will do when I can.