Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Can i use sagecom f@st 2504n router as a repeater with my SR101-2 sky hub?

This is a discussion on Can i use sagecom f@st 2504n router as a repeater with my SR101-2 sky hub? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have a sky hub Sr101-2 and wanted to boost signal in the rear of our house. Can I use ...

kpf16 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can i use sagecom f@st 2504n router as a repeater with my SR101-2 sky hub?

I have a sky hub Sr101-2 and wanted to boost signal in the rear of our house. Can I use my older sagecom f@st 2504n router as a repeater? Sorry if this has been asked before but I am new to forums and trying to set up a repeater so would need a very basic step by step guide.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Can i use sagecom f@st 2504n router as a repeater with my SR101-2 sky hub?

You should read this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

Others have found that the Sagem 2504N needs to be connected to an Internet connection in order to retain any changes, otherwise all should be fine.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      You should read this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

Others have found that the Sagem 2504N needs to be connected to an Internet connection in order to retain any changes, otherwise all should be fine.
      Thanks for your help but I want the old router to act as a repeater. Meaning no use of long cable or home plugs. I just want to get my WiFi signal from my hub passed on over WiFi and then boosted again by the old router. Chould a betting option be to use a repeater that plugs into the wall and if so which one would be compatible with the sky hub. Could I make use of the WPS burtion on the hub to connect it to a repeater plug?

Thanks

The firmwares for all Sky's routers, except the Netgear DG834GT, do not allow you to link one router to another via WiFi, and then I think that you have to use a custom firmware anyway.

mrmt32 has just this week released a custom firmware for the Sagem 2504N, but I do not think that he has added this function yet. He may be working on it though.

The only other way would be to purchase a specific WiFi Extender.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Chould a betting option be to use a repeater that plugs into the wall and if so which one would be compatible with the sky hub.
      By this I think you mean Homeplugs. Any type would work with the Sky Hub, but aim at getting the fastest you can afford, nothing less than 200mbps. You can then connect your old router to this and make use of its wireless. Something like this would be suitable-
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007JD6LB...SIN=B007JD6LBS

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      By this I think you mean Homeplugs. Any type would work with the Sky Hub, but aim at getting the fastest you can afford, nothing less than 200mbps. You can then connect your old router to this and make use of its wireless. Something like this would be suitable-
      Netgear 200Mbps Mini Powerline Twin Pack Ethernet Adapter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
      I was looking at WiFi Repeater Access Point up to 300 / 150 / 54 Mbps WLAN wireless amplifier for the socket including LAN connection , for 802.11 b / g / n standards with UK Plug:Amazon:Electronics
      Could I just plug this in the kitchen and then connect WiFi signal from my hub and get it boosted in the kitchen area without the need of any wires. Is this different to a home plug?
      Last edited by kpf16; 15-12-12 at 06:56 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Home plug looks like at the other end I only have the option to hardwire something. I want to boost WiFi signal in the kitchen area of my house for all devices I may want to use. Would this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006CKWZT6 be compatible with my hub and just boost WiFi for any device in my kitchen area?

Thanks

The Sky Hub SR101 is WiFi N compliant and this device is WiFi n draft compliant. I can't see any reason why it should not work, but check through the reviews first.

The link which you posted didn't take me to the normal Amazon page though. This link below provides more information:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Repeater-amp...5595219&sr=8-1

Exchange:
      Thanks

And the firmware on the hub would support it, should I call sky to ask them for any recommended solutions?

Thanks

As most routers do not have specific firmware to support repeating, I will have to assume that it is not required and the the WiFi repeater you've linked to will have all the requirements in it's firmware.

The Sky Hub SR101 would see this device as a Wireless device. Your devices would be able to connect to is and it would forward any Internet traffic through the Sky Hub SR101.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast