Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Which WiFi Booster To Buy?????

This is a discussion on Which WiFi Booster To Buy????? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi everyone, I am new with sky and am having some issues with my router. I have the Sagem router ...

jootyboi is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Which WiFi Booster To Buy?????

Hi everyone,

I am new with sky and am having some issues with my router.

I have the Sagem router but not sure on the model as it dose not have a model no...

My signal is very poor on one side of my house and am looking in to buying a signal booster on the other side of my house as Sky will not give me the passwords to log in. So i cant buy a more powerful router... :-(

One of my friends told me to double check with someone more technical on this forum as only some WiFi boosters will work with this router...

Can someone please advise me on which booster to buy and what is the best way to connect it up...

This will be much appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Near Portsmouth
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Which WiFi Booster To Buy?????

Welcome to the forum.

You actually have quite a few different options to choose from.

1. Extract the log in details from your router and use your own router
      2. Replace it with the Sky Hub SR101
      3. Use a WiFi Extender (which is what you asked)
      4. Use a pair of HomePlugs, with the 2nd having WiFi n abilities (or stick an old router on and piggyback it)

There are others, but that'll do for starters.

1. For getting your router's details, take a look at this section of our forum:
      Extracting Sky Router passwords

There are a couple of tools available on-line to help you.

2. Check which router you have first. If you have the dull grey router with dimples like a golf ball, then it is the Sagem 2504. If it has a dark grey top and shiny black underside, then it is the Sagem 2304n. If the top is silver and the underside black, then it is the Sagem 2504N.

The Sky Hub's WiFi is debatably slightly better than the Sagem 2504N, but not worth purchasing for this reason only IMHO. However there may be new things coming to it soon.

If you have either the Sagem 2504 or the Sagem 2304n, then the Sky Hub SR101 will be much better on the WiFi and can be bought from Sky for 39 at the moment. You may be charged the cost of postage as well.

3. There are a variety of WiFi Extenders. Depending on your needs one of the following might be a good idea for you. Do remember that any traffic between your WiFi device that passes through the extender will also need to then be transmitted to the Sky router. The net result is that performance often suffers.

4. HomePlugs are quite popular. Simple to set up and convenient for people who don't want to drill lots of holes. Some have the WiFi built in:

Alternatively get a pair of HomePlugs and configure an old router to piggyback onto the Sky router. For instructions for doing this, take a look at the guide in this thread:

How to connect two Routers together

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms