Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

What is *.bb.sky.com doing on port 80 (HTTP)?

This is a discussion on What is *.bb.sky.com doing on port 80 (HTTP)? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, I've seen this issue raised before without adequate explanation. When browsing the Web using SkyBroadband and the supplied NetGear ...

mmarsh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What is *.bb.sky.com doing on port 80 (HTTP)?

Hi, I've seen this issue raised before without adequate explanation. When browsing the Web using SkyBroadband and the supplied NetGear router I see a lot of http (port 80) outbound traffic being automatically generated and sent to various servers in the bb.sky.com domain (e.g. b0fff641.bb.sky.com:80). Not only do the requests get made, they get ESTABLISHED too. No attempts at blocking the websites or adding additional firewall rules stop the connections from being made. I've tried this with various Windows XP installs and Ubuntu, but the connections ALWAYS come up when web browsing using either Windows Explorer or Firefox.

I've come to the conclusion that SKY make the connection when you start web browsing. This is either to track what people are browsing or, more likely, some kind of caching strategy. Does anyone see the same? If you want to take a look, run up the command 'cmd' (for Windows) and type 'netstat -a'. See if you can spot the outbound HTTP connection to bb.sky.com. Anyone have any ideas why this is needed? Is it a security risk? Thanks MM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: What is *.bb.sky.com doing on port 80 (HTTP)?

Well if you are connecting using Sky broadband you have got to use the Sky servers. The b0fff641.bb.sky.com you quote, is the host name of the server, located near Skipton in Yorkshire. IP address 176.255.246.65, That is all.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Well if you are connecting using Sky broadband you have got to use the Sky servers. The b0fff641.bb.sky.com you quote, is the host name of the server, located near Skipton in Yorkshire. IP address 176.255.246.65, That is all.
      I could be wrong (although I don't think I am ), but I believe that is more likely to be someone's home router, as that style of hostname usually refer to the part of the Mac address of the router that the user uses.

My own DNS name for my connection is very similar. b01xxx8f.bb.sky.com (three characters masked with x characters because I'm paranoid).

If the connection is being established from your own computer as you suggest, you might want to run 'netstat -ano' and locate the PID of the process attempting to make the connection. Find the PID in task manager, if it's your browser, then the pages you are accessing must be referring to those hostnames.

Sky won't be making those connections, it could be some malware (dodgy web browser toolbars etc). Check the page source and look for links to those hostnames.

Thanks

Check here https://ipdb.at/ip/176.255.246.65 and you will see -
      • Host Name: b0fff641.bb.sky.com

IP address is numbered 176.255.246.65. This IP address refers to United Kingdom. IP Country code is GB. ISP of this address is "Sky Broadband", organization is "Sky Broadband". It's host address is b0fff641.bb.sky.com. IP address longitude is -2.0 and latitude is 54.0.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Interesting there is a webserver at that IP

Not sure if it's someone running a server at home or something in Skys network though.

Invalid URL

The requested URL "/", is invalid.Reference #<Removed>

Thanks

If the OP does a tracert to bbc.co.uk, he will probably find that the 3rd hop is to 176.255.246.65

TomD

Useful Utilites

mmarsh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Interesting there is a webserver at that IP

Not sure if it's someone running a server at home or something in Skys network though.
      Since this happens on Windows and Ubuntu and with different browsers so I'm assuming this is some kind of web relaying/caching that SKY do through Akamai. There's no rogue processes that are randomly connecting to these web servers. You get the randomized source port going to the bb.sky.com:80 web server generated through the browser. The NetGear router doesn't block it because it views it as part of the overall HTTP connection. Setting up a firewall rule or blocking it as a site on the router won't stop it either. I'm am absolutely convinced that anyone else who is actively browsing and runs 'netstat -a' will see exactly the same connections being forged. It's just how SkyBroadband works. Here's a half decent trick to see what the web server is (they're all Akamai servers by the way):

C:\> telnet b0fff641.bb.sky.com 80
      HEAD / HTTP/1.0 <CR><CR>

HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
      Server: AkamaiGHost
      Mime-Version: 1.0
      Content-Type: text/html
      Content-Length: 194
      Expires: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:22:21 GMT
      Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:22:21 GMT
      Connection: close
      Thanks for the responses. If anyone has the same experience please add to the data.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

It wouldn't surprise me if Akamai have an on-network CDN node since sky are a fairly large ISP.

What you might find is when you visit the BBC.etc the dynamic content is served from the actuall BT servers but the CDN node serves up the media content (Images/video's.etc)

WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Check here https://ipdb.at/ip/176.255.246.65 and you will see -
      These services are very inaccurate, especially where dynamic IP addresses are concerned.

I've just put four of our office IP addresses in. Three claim to be at that exact same location as the link you've posted above, and one claims to be in London. - All wrong.

Thanks

I've just put four of our office IP addresses in. Three claim to be at that exact same location as the link you've posted above, and one claims to be in London. - All wrong.
      I agree, my location has not been recorded correctly once since I moved to the SVBN. Before that it was extremely accurate. I am seldom recorded as being in the correct country, never mind some miles of my location. I think they are reporting where the address is registered, not its actual location.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast