Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Network crashing after connection drops

This is a discussion on Network crashing after connection drops within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; At random times I lose my network connection usually if the internet connection drops. The toolbar status says Local Access ...

Pompeyfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sandown
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Network crashing after connection drops

At random times I lose my network connection usually if the internet connection drops. The toolbar status says Local Access but there is no local access either meaning I can't access either NAS drive nor use the media streamer that goes from NAS to TV, and I can't even access the router through IE with the only cure being to unplug the router from the mains.

My line has been tested and is fine and getting 14Mbps and I tried the router in the master socket but it made no difference. My network setup is:

Sky Netgear 834GT router - connected to a desktop PC via ethernet, 2x NAS drives via ethernet, switch via ethernet that has a blu-ray DVD player, Sky+ HD box, Iomega Boxee TV streamer, Xbox 360 all connected via ethernet with things like a tablet, laptop, mobile phones etc using wireless but when it goes down everything stops working untill the router is unplugged and plugged back in.

I suspect its the router thats at fault (its about 7 or 8 years old now), and I rang Sky Tech Support who told me I can connect any router but they won't support it (fair enough), but they also won't give me my username and password which are embedded in the sky router and without those details I can't see how any other router will connect - I was offered a new Sky Hub for 40 quid, but I can't find out if it has gigabyte ethernet ports or not (it'd be silly me buying a non-gigabyte router when most of my cabled devices are gigabyte).

Any ideas? Is there anyway to get my details out of my sky router to use a third-party one with wireless-n and gigabyte?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Network crashing after connection drops

Obtaining the username and password is very easy with your router. Just go here- Sky router password generator put in the LAN MAC address of your router and click Generate.

The new Sky Hub does not have gigabit ports and only has a maximum wireless N speed of 144mbps.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Pompeyfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sandown
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Obtaining the username and password is very easy with your router. Just go here- Sky router password generator put in the LAN MAC address of your router and click Generate.

The new Sky Hub does not have gigabit ports and only has a maximum wireless N speed of 144mbps.
      Cheers for the reply. I used that tool, but it gave a totally different WPA password to the one I'm using and which was the sky default one, so I'm not sure I did it right.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Did you use the LAN MAC? Copy and paste it from your router status page straight into the generator. Make sure you do not leave any spaces.

You can also try MRMT's Sky Router tool to check, you can get it from here -
      Sky Router Tool - About - Sky Broadband Logging and Statistics - pH-Mb

I am not certain this will work with the new er firmware, but it is worth a try.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.