Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interference Issue

This is a discussion on Interference Issue within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello got a little problem, I've noticed within the last week or so my Router is disconnecting & strangely only ...

Gilly10 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Interference Issue

Hello got a little problem, I've noticed within the last week or so my Router is disconnecting & strangely only after a telephone call ends, I have my Router & Telephone plugged into the Master Socket via Sky's provided filter, both Telephone & Router have their own separate lines.

I've been watching the Noise Margin when a call comes through & during and it doesn't drop much, most if any is something like 0.2 from where it's currently at & can't hear any interference on the line either, dunno if it matters but the phone is cordless, this one - Buy BT Graphite 2500 Telephone with Answer Machine - Twin at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Telephones.
      both are in the same room due to lack of outlets, could it be interference from that causing it to drop?

From when I've been monitoring it, it seems to drop out after a call & sometimes again within around 5 mins of the first drop-out when the phones isn't even in use.

Anyone got any suggestions, could it be a filter issue?

Here's my current stats although probably not be needed in this instance:

System Up Time:
      809:18:29

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 26899 41408 0 391 123 0:31:29
      LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 809:18:29
      WLAN Up 67975245 43826559 0 7906 0 0:30:26
      Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15113 kbps 1117 kbps
      Line Attenuation 29.0 dB 16.2 dB
      Noise Margin 6.0 dB 8.5 dB

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Interference Issue

could be filter swap over to new 1 also try 2nd telephone maybe handset causing issue but aslo check the leads for both router and telephone for damage

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tenar For This Useful Post:

Gilly10 (03-12-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It looks like your WAN and WLAN connection are dropping at the same time, so the drop may be due to your phones interfering. Try changing the channel the phones are using, if you can't, change the channel in the router. Channel 13 is usually a good bet.

I would also advise power cycling your router, ie, switch the power off for a minute, then back on again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Gilly10 (04-12-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      It looks like your WAN and WLAN connection are dropping at the same time, so the drop may be due to your phones interfering. Try changing the channel the phones are using, if you can't, change the channel in the router. Channel 13 is usually a good bet.

I would also advise power cycling your router, ie, switch the power off for a minute, then back on again.
      That was the first thing I tried so that might explain the two WAN/WLAN dropping on the stats, was set to 11 & switched it to Auto but will give 13 a go.

Got a new Telephone extension & found a few spare filters to try, will see what happens, thanks both for all the suggestions.

Old_nick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Be Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Wireless phones use 1880 - 1900 MHz, and wi-fi uses 2412 - 2484 MHz, so radio interference is unlikely under normal use, but it's advisable to keep the two wireless antennas as far apart as you can, because interference can happen if they are very close together.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Old_nick For This Useful Post:

Gilly10 (04-12-12)

Thanks

Apart from radio interference it could be a dodgy PSU on the phone which is causing the problem.

Got a new Telephone extension
      I thought these phones only required one phone connection?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Apart from radio interference it could be a dodgy PSU on the phone which is causing the problem.

I thought these phones only required one phone connection?
      Not sure what you mean by that last question but I have the only base for the phone connected to a extension lead that goes to the Filter which is plugged directly into the Master Socket.

Anyway I've only changed the channel on the Router so far from the suggestions, was using the phone twice before & have had no drop outs after using it, will continue to monitor.

Thanks

Sorry, it was this that confused me-
      both are in the same room due to lack of outlets, could it be interference from that causing it to drop?
      At first reading I thought you meant both phone units, but I now realise you must have meant the phone and the router.

Can you confirm that you are only using the ADSL sky supplied cable to plug into the filter? If you are using a telephone extension cable to connect the router, this can induce a lot of interference.

It might be a good idea to monitor your connection using RouterStats Lite, which you can get here - RouterStats -Lite

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry, it was this that confused me-

At first reading I thought you meant both phone units, but I now realise you must have meant the phone and the router.

Can you confirm that you are only using the ADSL sky supplied cable to plug into the filter? If you are using a telephone extension cable to connect the router, this can induce a lot of interference.

It might be a good idea to monitor your connection using RouterStats Lite, which you can get here - RouterStats -Lite
      I replaced Sky's own router cable with this one - http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/ca...roducts_id=116 as I needed a bit longer cable, think Sky's is 3m but needed just a bit longer to reach the box, could only find 5m & it does have a little excess which is sort of coiled up flat on the floor (will that pose a problem) & is it just as good?

My telephone runs off it's own standard telephone extension cable.

Thanks for the link, will take a look.

Thanks

That cable is better than the one supplied by Sky so nothing to worry about there. Its just that some use a standard telephone cable to extend the router and that has a very bad effect on broadband.

TomD

Useful Utilites

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Gilly10 (04-12-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast