Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Attenuation 32.5dB, SNR ~6dB, Download 7Mbps - something's wrong here?

This is a discussion on Attenuation 32.5dB, SNR ~6dB, Download 7Mbps - something's wrong here? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey folks, I've just moved into a new flat and took out Sky broadband. Had it activated yesterday and I ...

JacksterD is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Attenuation 32.5dB, SNR ~6dB, Download 7Mbps - something's wrong here?

Hey folks,

I've just moved into a new flat and took out Sky broadband. Had it activated yesterday and I was on around 4mbps (but didn't take any other stats unfortunately) and was just waiting for DLM to do its thing. This morning I woke up to find I'm now syncing at 7002kbps, but my SNR is hovering between 5.9dB and 6.3dB, and my attenuation is 32.5dB.

Since the SNR has hit around 6dB I'm guessing this is as high as my download sync is likely to go, but am I not right in thinking that with an attenuation of 32.5dB I should be getting significantly faster speeds? My internal wiring is very simple, just one master socket with the sky filter dangling out of it, Sky Hub plugged into one side and a DECT phone plugged into the other.

I had my master socket installed by a third party guy as I couldn't get a decent Openreach appointment. It looked as if he did a decent job, everything looked very neat and tidy. Basically he ran around 2.5m of white cable from an existing junction box in a straight line to the new master socket, and after the Openreach guy eventually came out to do the "installation" I noticed he'd replaced the master socket with one of the new ones with Openreach printed on it (but no filtered faceplate), but he didn't mention any issues with the wiring up to the master socket.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Re: Attenuation 32.5dB, SNR ~6dB, Download 7Mbps - something's wrong here?

connect into test socket on bt socket only way to check against other socket wiring

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ah, I meant to say, I plugged it into the test socket also and there was absolutely no difference.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

unless there any noise on telephone line wait until dlm is finished , but if snr is jumping about would indicate some interference if steady snr in test socket would leave it there until dlm finished then fit pre filter on bt socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just a quick update -

tenar was right, leaving DLM to do its thing is the answer. On day one I had ~4mbps, then on day two I had ~7mbps with the stats described above. Then on day three I was up to ~10mbps, still with a 6dB noise margin, and now on day four I'm up to ~13mbps but wth a 7dB noise margin.

Judging from the stats, it looks as if DLM might have had me on ADSL Max the first two days, then ADSL2 on day three and now ADSL2+ on day four. That way the speeds would fit well with the noise margin reported and attenuation.

Hopefully tomorrow it'll be able to squeeze me out an extra 1mbps

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

DLM only uses g.dmt when there's something horribly wrong with a line. It also doesn't use adsl2.

The line will always have been on adsl2plus. Impulse noise protection tweaking is why you're seeing speed increases without much change in SNR values.