Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Moving from fibre 'down' to ADSL

This is a discussion on Moving from fibre 'down' to ADSL within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have posted this on the official Sky forum but hope it's okay to post again here? Apologies if it's ...

NeatRipple is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Moving from fibre 'down' to ADSL

I have posted this on the official Sky forum but hope it's okay to post again here? Apologies if it's bad form.

I'm with another provider for Fibre Broadband but want to move back to Sky Unlimited ADSL. The reason for this is because our line (from our house to the fibre cabinet) is too long, and we only get 10-15Mb download speed on fibre and 0.6Mb up. At that speed, we don't think it's good value for money, especially when you're skint! We're not heavy users, so ADSL will suit our needs (it did before, but with 'superfast' available where we live, we thought we'd give it a go).

Is it a simple enough change back to make? Can someone tell us the likely costs involved?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Moving from fibre 'down' to ADSL

There might be a little bit of a headache in the order process, but I would expect the normal costs to be applied.

The headache is likely to be surrounding the fact that you have the Fibre connection in place and that this will need to be disconnected.

Keep the BTO VDSL filtered faceplate in place. This will be excellent for the ADSL connection and will work just fine.

I would recommend that you call Sky to check things first. If you are going to take up an on-line offer, then do place your order on-line first.

Please let us know how you get on as not many people will have do this yet.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie

In the first place, thank you for a prompt response. I appreciate that.

What I didn't volunteer in my initial post, is that we've actually been 'stitched up' by the 'superfast' broadband 'hype'. What I mean by this, is that on sign up we were given an 'estimated' download speed of around 35Mb (which we got whatever the provider) but at almost 2km away from the cabinet, the maximum speed the line would ever take is 10 - 15Mb; way less than 50% of the estimated speed. Under these circumstances the provider is 'obliged' to release us from an 18 month fibre contract (Ofcom voluntary code of practice). What I'm now discussing with the provider, is what 'state' they leave us in when we cancel, and how easy it is for us to move back to ADSL.

When I suggested to our current provider that they lower the fibre package cost (since we're not much more than 'faster broadband') their response was along the lines of, 'go and get stuffed'!

I wonder how many other people have been caught in this 'trap'?

Thanks

I'm kind of surprised by the response you got from that ISP (as a Mod I can see your IP Address and from there see where you are posting from). I am aware of the Ofcom rules about attainable speed and what the estimate was. We put together a small team to create this forum's FAQ for Sky Fibre.

Sadly FTTC speeds do drop faster than ADSL as your line gets longer. This means that if your cabinet is a long distance, then it isn't the answer.

I'm still waiting for my area to get a Fibre cabinet installed. Hopefully I should be able to get a faster connection that what you have had.

Something for you to keep an eye open for in the longer term would be FTTP. However the initial installation costs at the present time are extortionate. So you should avoid this for now.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      This means that if your cabinet is a long distance, then it isn't the answer.
      Yes, with the benefit of hindsight, we really shouldn't have been taken on as a fibre customer, in the first place. That's not really my provider's fault but a problem that must lie at BT Wholesale's doorstep. What trouble's me though, is that the estate I'm on has serious problems with ADSl, let alone fibre, yet every telephone number checker will show we're all 'superfast' broadband enabled. And that's wrong. Maybe I should take it up with our MP?

Thanks

Certainly you are welcome to take it further. BDUK (not BTO) has a target to allow 2/3rds of the UK to get Superfast broadband by 2015. BTO are on target to reach 2/3rds by sometime in 2014.

The next target is 2020 when all the UK should be connected to speeds above 30mb, with the majority on speeds above 100mb.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Scubbie

What is an accepted definition of Superfast broadband? Out of interest, too, what is your interpretation? To me, 10-15Mb is definately not Superfast, yet the figures provided by BTO probably suggest we are...I don't know

Thanks

The European Gov have specified 30mb and 100mb targets.