Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Stuck in the loop (slow speeds, poor connection, support issues)

This is a discussion on Stuck in the loop (slow speeds, poor connection, support issues) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; When he was taking the wires out of pin 3 he knocked the orange incoming wire out of the back ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Stuck in the loop (slow speeds, poor connection, support issues)

When he was taking the wires out of pin 3 he knocked the orange incoming wire out of the back of the socket (no idea why he had that unscrewed from the wall) and had to put that wire back in, could that not explain the change in the noise level?
      The incoming wires are connected to the A-B terminals on the rear, these are usually screw terminals so it is hard to see how one would come off, unless it actually broke. But as long as it has been replaced properly it should make no difference. The interference is coming from the extension wiring. You can remove the wire from terminal 3 in the extension sockets but I don't believe it will make much difference. The ring wire causes interference by creating a power imbalance in the circuit, so as long as it is removed from the master socket that should be sufficient.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Lenaldo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Houghton-le-Spring
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      The incoming wires are connected to the A-B terminals on the rear, these are usually screw terminals so it is hard to see how one would come off, unless it actually broke. But as long as it has been replaced properly it should make no difference. The interference is coming from the extension wiring. You can remove the wire from terminal 3 in the extension sockets but I don't believe it will make much difference. The ring wire causes interference by creating a power imbalance in the circuit, so as long as it is removed from the master socket that should be sufficient.
      It looked to have broke, there wasn't much slack in any of the wires but it was replaced properly.

DLM seems to have kicked in around the same time it had the previous night, however my speed has gone down again to 1.5Mb. Once again I've had no dropouts since removing the wires from the master faceplate yesterday. I haven't got round to removing the extension ones from their pin 3's yet (if that's still suggested) as I'm chasing up a 2nd missing parcel in 2 days for Christmas.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Just a thought. You do have filters on the other extension sockets which are in use? This includes especially the the STB should it be connected to the phone line.

I would still put the router back in the test socket if I were you, even if you try what I suggest in post #25, I don't think DLM is going to get the best out of your line as you are connected.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Just a thought. You do have filters on the other extension sockets which are in use? This includes especially the the STB should it be connected to the phone line.

I would still put the router back in the test socket if I were you, even if you try what I suggest in post #25, I don't think DLM is going to get the best out of your line as you are connected.
      Yeah everything in the house has filters attached to the sockets.

I'll get in contact with that relation, see if he can get hold of one of those filtered faceplates.

Thanks

Thought I'd update the situation. Since sorting out the wiring in the master socket we've continued to have a stable connection which has been a godsend, however there were possible concerns on here that the extension wiring could be limiting what we were capable of getting speed wise and a filtered faceplate would be an advisable purchase. We've ordered fibre, after looking at potentially upgrading for a while, which is booked for install on the 20th, managing to get a free sky hub in the process (we were also offered a free sky+HD box however the "free" box seemed to not be free after all so we declined). When the engineer comes out and fits the new filtered faceplate and sets up the fibre is there any need for the wires we took out to go back into pin 3 or can they stay out for good?

I'd just like to thank everyone here for their help and advice in getting my connection stable, it's greatly appreciated

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

is there any need for the wires we took out to go back into pin 3 or can they stay out for good?
      No they can stay out.

The engineer would probably leave them off anyway.

Glad to hear your connection is stable though.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Time for the engineer visit was between 8am-1pm. Phoned this morning at 8:10am saying he was on his way, explained the process thoroughly and talked me through step by step what he was doing and what I could expect. Turns out my line is capable of nearly 70mb however more than happy with what I've just been provided

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

That is good.

knowing what your line could get is useful too. Should you decide to upgrade to SFUP then you have a good idea what you may be able to achieve.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234