Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Stuck in the loop (slow speeds, poor connection, support issues)

This is a discussion on Stuck in the loop (slow speeds, poor connection, support issues) within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie By 'in use' do you mean just plugged in, or when you are actually using the ...

Lenaldo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Houghton-le-Spring
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Stuck in the loop (slow speeds, poor connection, support issues)

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      By 'in use' do you mean just plugged in, or when you are actually using the landline for phone calls?

If this is the case, then it sounds like a specific identifiable fault which should be easily resolved by a BTO Engineer.
      The landline was called from a mobile and when the phone was picked up the downstream noise instantly plummeted to the negatives and the connection dropped

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Router is still in the front of the master socket since pulling the wires. Tried phoning the house from a mobile and phoning the mobile from the house, received a few external calls too and it hasn't gone down since the first 2 times I tried calling minutes after pulling the cables. Maybe I tested it too soon? Anyway hoping this continues and I'll keep monitoring it.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is the router in the socket on the faceplate and not the test socket?

If so, DLM should now hopefully continue to up your speed.

Theoretically doing what you have done, is the same as using the test socket now, as you have removed the interference off the internal wiring. Hopefully.

You should easily triple the speed that you have currently by the end of the process.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Is the router in the socket on the faceplate and not the test socket?

If so, DLM should now hopefully continue to up your speed.

Theoretically doing what you have done, is the same as using the test socket now, as you have removed the interference off the internal wiring. Hopefully.

You should easily triple the speed that you have currently by the end of the process.
      It's in the socket on the faceplate yes, hopefully this has fixed it

According to our Sky profile page, under broadband, it states that DLM started yesterday so there's quite a lot of time left for it to work it's magic.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It's in the socket on the faceplate yes, hopefully this has fixed it
      I don't think it has. You will have noticed that your noise margin has dropped considerebly. This shows that your internal wiring is interfering with the signal. Apart from interference from the ring wire, the extension wiring can act like an aerial, picking up interference. I would advise you to buy and fit a filtered faceplate which will isolate the internal wiring. In the mean time I would put the router back into the test socket. If you really must have the extension sockets working, you could try plugging the faceplate into the filter you have in the test socket, or plug a second filter into the first one and plug the faceplate into that. Take your stats before and after.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I don't think it has. You will have noticed that your noise margin has dropped considerebly. This shows that your internal wiring is interfering with the signal. Apart from interference from the ring wire, the extension wiring can act like an aerial, picking up interference. I would advise you to buy and fit a filtered faceplate which will isolate the internal wiring. In the mean time I would put the router back into the test socket. If you really must have the extension sockets working, you could try plugging the faceplate into the filter you have in the test socket, or plug a second filter into the first one and plug the faceplate into that. Take your stats before and after.
      My dad is self employed and has the extension in the office upstairs so he can take calls and have easy access to his documents/laptop etc. He's currently in a call at the moment so I don't think I'll be able to do that any time soon lol. When he was taking the wires out of pin 3 he knocked the orange incoming wire out of the back of the socket (no idea why he had that unscrewed from the wall) and had to put that wire back in, could that not explain the change in the noise level?

I'll keep an eye on it for the rest of the day and then if it still doesn't seem right I'll give it a shot. Also turns out one of our relations seems to be some form of BT engineer (from what I can gather) so I can try and get their number and have them take a look at it first hand.

That's what it's like currently

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If the bx is taken off the wall so to speak there should only really be 2 wires for the phone line anyway.

The only wires that should be connected to the faceplate should be to 2 and 5

If it were me I would remove the others from the faceplate as they could cause issues and are not needed anyway

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      If the bx is taken off the wall so to speak there should only really be 2 wires for the phone line anyway.

The only wires that should be connected to the faceplate should be to 2 and 5

If it were me I would remove the others from the faceplate as they could cause issues and are not needed anyway

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
      The only wires left attached to the faceplate are the ones to 2 and 5, the other 2 wires were both removed from pin 3 this morning/afternoon.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

Could you remove the wires from pin 3 in the extension sockets as well please? It is still possible that they could be interfering with the ADSL signal.

As previously mentioned, a filtered faceplate would tidy things up nicely and pin 3 could be connected once more as well. Some telephone require pin 3 to be connected, but most don't.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Lenaldo (30-11-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could you remove the wires from pin 3 in the extension sockets as well please? It is still possible that they could be interfering with the ADSL signal.

As previously mentioned, a filtered faceplate would tidy things up nicely and pin 3 could be connected once more as well. Some telephone require pin 3 to be connected, but most don't.
      I'll look at the other sockets tomorrow and remove any wires in pin 3 and post my stats.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast