Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Can I test my line with no number/service on it?

This is a discussion on Can I test my line with no number/service on it? within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey folks, Does anyone know if it's possible to test a BT line if there's no phone number or service ...

JacksterD is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Question Can I test my line with no number/service on it?

Hey folks,

Does anyone know if it's possible to test a BT line if there's no phone number or service attached to it yet? I've moved into a new flat which seems to have had the phone sockets removed and Openreach couldn't get me a decent appointment date to get an engineer out, so I got a third party guy out to do it and I think he may have done a dodgy job (the master and junction box are about a 2.5m straight line away, but for some reason instead of using a single piece of cable the guy has joined two together ) but I don't know how to test it before my Sky switch-on date, and by that time I'll have all my furniture down which will make it very awkward to get under the floor board to change the cable between the master socket and the junction box.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Re: Can I test my line with no number/service on it?

Could you post some photos please?

In fairness, most flats have been fitted with terrible wiring for the telephone lines. They are sufficient for voice communications, but when it comes to broadband it pays to use better quality cable and an NTE5 master socket instead of the older style master socket (without the split faceplate) and standard telephone cable intended for extensions.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

there is no way to test the line until its has active signal and all cabling attached not just at house needs junction box in street and exchange connected as well , bt line tests will only run on active lines and mostly if you have never had bt line or line has been removed then will require engineer visit to connect to the house to activate socket or most likely fit new 1

JacksterD is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Apple Airport Extreme
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Could you post some photos please?

In fairness, most flats have been fitted with terrible wiring for the telephone lines. They are sufficient for voice communications, but when it comes to broadband it pays to use better quality cable and an NTE5 master socket instead of the older style master socket (without the split faceplate) and standard telephone cable intended for extensions.
      Thanks for your reply Scubbie. I've got another guy coming out later today to take a look at it and probably just replace it for me, and I'll take a picture of the job he does.

The last guy did install an NTE5, which replaced an old style master socket which was already in the flat. So the guy should just be using standard extension cable to go between the master socket and junction box?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The cable from the cabinet to your master socket should never be of the quality that is used in telephone extensions. Please take a look at the link below for some better cable:

CW1308 Twisted Pair Telephone Cable, 10M Black

CW1128 Twisted Pair Telephone Cable, Jelly Filled 5 Pair 10M

Extension cable is perfectly fine internally from the NTE5 socket to any additional sockets.

I would also suggest that you consider getting a filtered faceplate. If you were getting fibre installed the BTO Engineer would fit this for you (using the VDSL filtered faceplate). This apparently offers the best signal filtering to date for both VDSL and ADSL signals.

BT VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate - VDSL I Plate

As tenar said though, you can't truly test and evaluate the line until it is connected.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms