Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Noise Issues - Narrowed It Down

This is a discussion on Noise Issues - Narrowed It Down within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by RamboRab Thanks. If my exchange ever gets fibre wouldn't the openreach engineer just leave the XTE-2005 faceplate ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Noise Issues - Narrowed It Down

Quote Originally Posted by RamboRab View Post
      Thanks.

If my exchange ever gets fibre wouldn't the openreach engineer just leave the XTE-2005 faceplate there if I asked them nicely? Isn't it the same spec as the one they would bring with them? If they did insist in changing it, I'd need a new faceplate as the one that I'll be removing, to replace with the XTE-2005, is faulty.
      Some have reported that the engineer has left their filtered plate in place, but this is not really a good idea. The spec of the VDSL plate is much higher than the normal faceplate and is specifically designed to be used with fibre. If your existing plate was faulty the engineer would replace it as a matter of course.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      RamboRab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Central (Glasgow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

So would it be better to install a VDSL plate now instead of the XTE-2005 or would there be no difference for ADSL2+? The XTE-2005 would be cheaper because if I got a VDSL plate I'd also need a new front plate to replace the faulty one.

Thanks

I would just get the XTE if I were you, the VDSL plate will be provided free if you do get fibre.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Can I just check about wiring of the XTE-2005?

I'll have the router and the phone plugged into the master socket. I assume both don't require a filter?

There are a further 4 internal phone sockets. I assume they are daisy-chained back to the master socket. Only one of those 4 sockets will be used. This is for the Sky HD box. However, I may move the phone to another internal socket in the future. I'm guessing I wire the internal sockets to 2, 3 and 5 on the XTE-2005 and NOT A and B?

Would the Sky HD box or the phone (if it was moved) require a filter?

Thanks

Best thing to do is check that all your sockets are wired back to properly to the face plate. To do this remove the faceplate and go around and check that all the extensions are dead, if they are you do not require any additional filters.

If any sockets are still 'live', it means they are not wired properly. Either they are wired to the AB terminals on the backplate or to a junction box before the master socket. Hopefully they are OK.

Extensions should be wired to 2,3 and 5 on the filtered faceplate. A and B are unfiltered, anything wired to these would require to be filtered.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

The first picture is of the back of a BT NTE5 Faceplate:

Noise Issues - Narrowed It Down-nte5-faceplate-rear-.jpg

The picture below is of a filtered faceplate like my own. The XTE-2005 faceplate should be similar.

Note that the wiring points 2-5 are available on both. Any extensions should be either hard wired to the same points on the back of the XTE-2005 faceplate or plugged into the front Telephone socket. This way they will be filtered by the filtered faceplate.

The 2nd port is exclusively for the ADSL Modem or ADSL Router.

The Sky+ HD STB should be plugged into either one of your extensions or the telephone socket on the faceplate and won't require a separate filter. Having said this, some people have needed to double filter a Sky STB in the past.

The A & B connectors are unfiltered and should ideally not be used for the extensions as it would defeat the object of using the filtered faceplate. They are there for those who wish to move the ADSL Modem to a different position in their home or if you want to hard wire the ADSL Modem/Router to the socket.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks.

Just out of interest, why do some sky boxes need to be double filtered?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RamboRab View Post
      Just out of interest, why do some sky boxes need to be double filtered?
      Some individual STBs appear to interfere with the ADSL signal and it has been found that plugging them into two microfilters helps.

Mine are both single filtered.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123