Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Noise Issues - Narrowed It Down

This is a discussion on Noise Issues - Narrowed It Down within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by RamboRab Just removed the bell wire and plugged the faceplate back on. Syncing at 16Mbps. 2Mbps less ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Noise Issues - Narrowed It Down

Quote Originally Posted by RamboRab View Post
      Just removed the bell wire and plugged the faceplate back on. Syncing at 16Mbps. 2Mbps less than through the test socket!

What is likely the problem then?
      Its not just the ring wire which causes problems. Wiring to the extensions acts like an aerial picking up noise which interferes with the broadband. This is why a filtered plate is the best option.

I am not sure if a phone sender would interfere with Homeplugs. It may do. If you do not have multi room you do not really need the STB permanently connected to the phone line, you can connect it temporary if you want to order something from the Sky Store. Although Sky say you should have it connected for 12 months, they do not bother about single boxes, where the connection is just for your convenience.

Tell them you have improved the wiring within your house and would like DLM re-run.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      RamboRab is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Central (Glasgow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I've now decided to order an ADSL Nation XTE-2005 filtered faceplate to see if that works. If not, I'll just continue to use the test socket.

Am I right in saying that when connecting the XTE-2005 I wire up the cable to pins 2,3 and 5? I've read that you do need the bell wire connected when using the filtered faceplate.

Also, am I right in saying that a telephone or sky box that is connected to any of the extension sockets will no longer need a micro filter?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,195 Times in 2,065 Posts

Yes you are correct on both counts (pins 2, 3 & 5 and microfilters no longer needed for anything after the master socket).

When you order the faceplate, do order an IDC Punch tool as well. There are two types to choose from. The cheap disposable one or the slightly more expensive one which is more comfortable to use.

I would also suggest that you keep the old BT faceplate as this could be needed if you upgrade to Fibre.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Ok thanks. I'll keep the old BT faceplate but I'm sure that's where the fault is. I assume I can buy a replacement if I ever get fibre?

Thanks

The VDSL Faceplate fits between the Test Socket and the BT faceplate. The telephone extensions remain connected to the BT faceplate which is now filtered.

The VDSL modem connects to a socket on the VDSL filtered faceplate.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

It's the ADSL Nation XTE-2005 filtered faceplate that I'm getting. It replaces the Openreach one (just the faceplate, not the entire master socket).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Am I right in saying that when connecting the XTE-2005 I wire up the cable to pins 2,3 and 5? I've read that you do need the bell wire connected when using the filtered faceplate.
      It depends on the phones you have. Some require the ring wire, most don't.

What Scubbie means is that the VDSL plate fits between the backplate and the extisting faceplate. A filtered faceplate will not fit, so hold one to your old one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Can having the ring wire connected to the XTE-2005 cause interference like it can on a normal openreach faceplate? If not, I'd connect it just so the cable isn't dangling loose. If it still can cause interference, I'll leave it disconnected.

Thanks

Sorry, thanks for clarifying that Tom. Yes I should have stated that the filtered faceplate which you are getting won't fit on top of the VDSL filtered faceplate.

As for the ring wire, the filtered faceplates have a separate socket for the ADSL router to connect to. Just like with your micrfilter, the phone socket is filtered. In addition though the numbered connectors on the underside of the filtered faceplate are also filtered. This in turn means that the potential interference from the ring-wire will not longer affect the main ADSL signal as it is on a different circuit.

So you may safely using the bell-wire with the filtered faceplate and all will be fine.

There are A & B connectors on the underside of your filtered faceplate as well. Unless you plan to connect a specific extension to host your router, or want to connect the ADSL lead directly to the faceplate, don't use these connectors.

Thanks

Thanks.

If my exchange ever gets fibre wouldn't the openreach engineer just leave the XTE-2005 faceplate there if I asked them nicely? Isn't it the same spec as the one they would bring with them? If they did insist in changing it, I'd need a new faceplate as the one that I'll be removing, to replace with the XTE-2005, is faulty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast