Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Speed decrease on line

This is a discussion on Speed decrease on line within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; The Asus Router is brand new, like 1 month old. Where the Netgear I'm using just now is at least ...

thebesh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Asus dsl-N55u
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Speed decrease on line

The Asus Router is brand new, like 1 month old. Where the Netgear I'm using just now is at least 4/5 years old.

I noticed on the Asus there were options for Annex (no idea what this is) and also options for G.dmt and multiple mode. It was sitting on multiple mode. Any idea what these should be sitting at?

Also, is it possible to change any other setting that could affect connection?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,064 Posts

You should have it set to "Annex A".

G.DMT is equivalent to ADSL1 speeds and uses a slightly different speed grouping to ADSL2+ which is what you should be using with Annex A.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

The router was on Annex A, and I changed it from multiple mode to G.DMT before sky ran tests on my line. So, those settings look good. What about VPI and VCI - is there a preferred setting or does the modem figure this out automatically?

Also - I live like 400 Metres from the exchange - so isn't my Line Attenuation figure of 39.0dB for downstream a bit high? Would this point to a problem with the line?

- - - Updated - - -

Right - I might have found the problem.
      I have an extension coming from the master socket to my router - I've removed this and plugged into the master socket and my Line Attenuation figure has dropped a fair bit from 39dB (almost halved)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 6141 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23.0 db 9.0 db
      Noise Margin 15.5 db 18.0 db

Thanks

That explains a great deal.

I would highly recommend a filtered faceplate. The easiest and best currently available to fit is the VDSL filtered faceplate. Whilst it isn't the cheapest, it is what is used with the FTTC connections.

BT VDSL/ADSL Premium Faceplate - VDSL I Plate

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

With your latest figures you have the potential to get 18-20Mb, maybe even more.
      For your Asus, set the mode to ADSL2+, Annex A if available, VPI-0, VCI-38, multiplex - VC-Based. MTU 1500, but you may have to reduce this as some routers will not connect properly. You could try 1492 or 1458 if it does not connect properly.

When you do get a connection you can check the proper MTU for your router line by opening a Command Prompt and typing ping Google -f -l 1440 You are looking for the highest figure which does not fragment, so if it does, take away a few bytes. If it doesn't add a few bytes until you find the optimum figure. When you find it add 28 to allow for overheads and that is your best MTU. For example mine is 1430+28 = 1458.
      Last edited by Isitme; 21-11-12 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Spell check

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      With your latest figures you have the potential to get 18-20Mb, maybe even more.
      For your Asus, set the mode to ADSL2+, Annex A if available, VPI-0, VCI-38, multiplex - VC-Based. MTU 1500, but you may have to reduce this as some routers will not connect properly. You could try 1492 or 1458 if it does not connect properly.

When you do get a connection you can check the proper MTU for your router line by opening a Command Prompt and typing ping Google -f -l 1440 You are looking for the highest figure which does not fragment, so if it does, take away a few bytes. If it doesn't add a few bytes until you find the optimum figure. When you find it add 28 to allow for overheads and that is your best MTU. For example mine is 1430+28 = 1458.
      Thanks for the advice on this guys - really appreciate it. I came home and changed the Netgear to the Asus router and as soon as I did this it dropped from 6MB connection to 3MB connection. However I went and changed G.DMT to ADSL2+ (it was already on Annex A) and once it rebooted and reconnected and now my connection with the Asus is 6MB and a MUCH improved ping of 57ms (previous pings were around 85ms).

VPI and VCI settings were as the settings you mentioned and MTU was default at 1492. I can run the command with (1492-28 = 1464) and I don't get any packet loss or fragmentation

I think I'll leave this to settle for a couple of days and see what happens with the connection speed.
      I can't thank you enough for your help everyone. I am a bit of a geek and I've at least learned a LOT more about ADSL, phone sockets, etc

Exchange:
      Thanks

Eventually found the info on my ADSL connection through ASUS router.....

Update Counter : 831
      Lan Tx : 56513
      Lan Rx : 46453
      ADSL Tx : 37023
      ADSL Rx : 41348
      CRC Down : 0
      CRC Up : 0
      FEC Down : 0
      FEC Up : 145
      HEC Down : 0
      HEC Up : 0
      Line State : 3
      Modulation : 4
      SNR Up : 15.9
      SNR Down : 20.0
      Line Attenuation Up : 11.9
      Line Attenuation Down : 22.4
      Data Rate Up : 605
      Data Rate Down : 6144

Hopefully this speed will increase now with the changes made - I got told Sky switches automatically increase speed if there is an improvement in the line quality.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebesh View Post
      Hopefully this speed will increase now with the changes made - I got told Sky switches automatically increase speed if there is an improvement in the line quality.
      Nice to see such an improvement.

DLM constantly monitors your line and can improve the connection speed periodically if there has been and issue. If you want to give DLM a kick start, a friendly call to Sky often works wonders.

You have most definitely have a lot of room for improvement there, so I think 18mb is certainly a possibility.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I got told Sky switches automatically increase speed if there is an improvement in the line quality.
      That is the theory, but in practise it seldom happens. It will drop the speed but hardly ever puts it up. You would be better calling Sky, tell them you have made improvements to your line and would like DLM training run again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Connection was stable overnight so called Sky this morning to ask them to run test and bump speed up. Line was good and they put me on 10 day trial and started me on 16MB - to be honest anything over 10MB is a complete delight. Stats from router...

Update Counter : 11870
      Lan Tx : 484947
      Lan Rx : 310073
      ADSL Tx : 7870
      ADSL Rx : 11007
      CRC Down : 0
      CRC Up : 1
      FEC Down : 0
      FEC Up : 1125
      HEC Down : 5
      HEC Up : 0
      Line State : 3