Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Intermittent Connection

This is a discussion on Intermittent Connection within the Sky Broadband help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I wonder if anyone can help me. I've recently moved into a new house and since joining Sky ...

Kurby is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Intermittent Connection

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can help me. I've recently moved into a new house and since joining Sky broadband & talk I've been getting an intermittent connection. The connection isn't disconnecting but it seems to drop to very low speeds for a few seconds then increases to 2.5mb and stays there for a few minutes (normally between 10-20mins) before dropping again. I think it may have something to do with the home wiring and I will be contacting Sky this week to ask for the master socket to be moved.

I've posted the router stats below.

I've only moved 4 houses up from my previous house, I don't quite understand what the line attenuation and noise margin is, but I'm sure the downstream line attenuation was 48dB at my previous house. Presuming higher is worse, could faulty home wiring cause these errors?

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      nw1456 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Intermittent Connection

Have you tried plugging the router directly into the master test socket behind the lower half of the removable faceplate? That should rule out, or in, your internal wiring. It's worth doing this because a callout which finds the problem to be "internal" will set you back around 165.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sorry forgot to mention I haven't got a test socket. The router is plugged into an extension socket as the master socket is in my passage, no where near an electrical socket. I've tried plugging the router into the master socket (using an extension lead) but I couldn't get an internet signal. The BT wires enter the house through the back bedroom window as I notice there's a small white rectangular BT box there. The wires then run down the stairs into the passage. The living room, which is where the extension socket is, is directly opposite the master socket.

It just seems a complete mess tbh, I think it might be worth the 165 just to clean it up.

nw1456 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I'm inclined to agree with you, sounds like a complete mess. If you can't get a signal from the "master socket" then something isn't kosher! Personally, I would fit an NTE5 master socket at the point where the BT wire enters the "small white rectangular box" and connect all the internal wiring to that. But I understand that's not for everyone, if you're not confident in doing it then it's best left to BTO, albeit at a price!

Have you got Sky to test your line? there may just be a simple fault on the line.

tenar is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle NINE
      Broadband ISP: sky fibre max
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

the bt engineer will fit a new socket but depending on how line comes into house and overall cost will determine where when master socket is installed , depending on engineer they may reconnect extension for you but dont get paid for this normally even with charge
      call is really to make sure main socket is working

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nw1456 View Post
      I'm inclined to agree with you, sounds like a complete mess. If you can't get a signal from the "master socket" then something isn't kosher! Personally, I would fit an NTE5 master socket at the point where the BT wire enters the "small white rectangular box" and connect all the internal wiring to that. But I understand that's not for everyone, if you're not confident in doing it then it's best left to BTO, albeit at a price!

Have you got Sky to test your line? there may just be a simple fault on the line.
      I haven't contacted Sky yet but I when I do I'll ask them to test the line. Can you tell from the line attenuation and noise margin in the screenshot above if there is indeed a fault somewhere whether it be the internal wiring or on the line?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
      I haven't contacted Sky yet but I when I do I'll ask them to test the line. Can you tell from the line attenuation and noise margin in the screenshot above if there is indeed a fault somewhere whether it be the internal wiring or on the line?
      Without readings from the Test socket, it is impossible to tell.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.